Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the "T" out today and rode about 40 miles. Stopped at my Buddies house and it wouldn't crank. We pushed it off and made it home. I hooked the tender back up and in about 5 minutes it showed that the battery was charged. Turn the key on and the horn will barely blow. Checked the battery with my Fluke meter and it shows 13.27 volts. Turn the key on it drops to 1.? volts and the bike want start. Cut the key off and the voltage goes back up to 13.2 volts. I unhooked all accessories and the same thing happens. What is dragging the battery down when I turn the key on? You can jump it or push it off and it runs.
It is supposed to get up in the 60's this week!!!!!

Desperate in TN!!!!!!!

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
It sounds like your battery is either low on water or sulfated. If it's low on water, you need to add a little to the cell or cells that are low. Leave it on the tender for a while for the water to mix with the electrolyte. Do not overfill the cells, keep the water level between the lines! Only use distilled water when adding water to a battery.

One thing you can do is check the connections on the battery too. You may have a loose wire on the battery terminal.

If the battery is sulfated, there isnt much you can do. When this happens, it cant take a charge well, nor can it deliver the current it is supposed to due to a insulative coating on the plates within the battery. In this case, replace the battery.

Hope this helps,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found the problem!!!!

I was out there tinkering with it and I noticed the hot wire would move around. I tried tightening the battery screw and it was tight. Then I spotted the problem. I had put a longer screw in the battery to make room for some accessory wiring and it was bottomed out on top of the battery. It was tight but not tight on the cable. I put a couple of washers under it and retightened and now it seems to be working fine!!!! WHEW!!!!!! I hope that is all it is! Nothing worse for me than tracing a wiring problem down!!!! Thanks for the replys!!

Rick
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top