Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Honda shadow 750 that started running on like 2 cylinders under load. Now it's gotten a lot worse, it seems like at times it does run on all cylinders but I really don't trust it to go anywhere. I replaced the plugs and it didn't help. So now I ordered a new air filter but I'm really thinking it's one of my coils. When I changed the oil I overfilled it but I got it where it supposed to be now, I had probably a half a cup in my airbox. I really can't think of anything else so any information would help

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda shadow 750 that started running on like 2 cylinders under load.

any information would help
Hey MKP,

Just for information sharing: Your bike is a 2009 Honda Shadow VT750. The VT means it is a V-twin (that means 2 cylinders). I'm guessing that because it has 4 spark plugs and 4 spark plug wires you may think it is a 4 cylinder???

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,811 Posts
That Excess Oil MAY have clogged the air filter???
Good Luck,
Dennis

Our Gurus will chime in when they get back from their Sunday RIDE
Or Fathers Day Dinners

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,145 Posts
What makes you think its ignition related? The most common issue with Shadows is dirty carbs as the electrical/ignition is pretty bullet proof however one flaw that needs to be fixed regardless, is the "3 yellow wire" connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What makes you think its ignition related? The most common issue with Shadows is dirty carbs as the electrical/ignition is pretty bullet proof however one flaw that needs to be fixed regardless, is the "3 yellow wire" connection.

I'm just guessing because it's never really sat without being run, it ran great this spring. What is this 3 yellow wire connection?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,083 Posts
3 yellow wires on the stater to regulator harness.
It overheats and looses contact, and the battery charge rate goes down.
Maybe under the seat on your bike.
You don't want this=

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

Reactions: mkpike24

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does it do when revving it in Neutral? (No load.)

You don't want this=

View attachment 302222
Thank you, I'll check
What does it do when revving it in Neutral? (No load.)
You don't want this=

View attachment 302222
I will definitely check it out

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
2,917 Posts
I’m sorry I broke your Neutral… 😉 That does shift things towards it possibly being electrical. Just eliminate one thing at a time until you find the culprit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my details were a little unclear, process of elimination. I knew it wasn't much, it's a Honda!
That Excess Oil MAY have clogged the air filter???
Good Luck,
Dennis

Our Gurus will chime in when they get back from their Sunday RIDE
Or Fathers Day Dinners
You were excactly right!!!!!! It was the air filter, apparently it plugged up my filter by putting too much oil. Running awesome again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts