Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my bike today. I miss it already. :(
I put it up on Craigslist last weekend. I sort of decided that it was time to get a new bike on the spur of the moment without knowing for sure if I could, but things seem to be falling into place.

Now hopefully I can find a bike I really like pretty soon so that I still have summer left to ride it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I kinda know the feeling. A couple came by this morning and looked at my bike. They're wanting to get one for her. They were super nice people and seemed really stoked about it. I know that I'll miss it a bit once I sell it, but I know that I'll be right on track to getting my new bike in a month or so.

That time between is going to suck tho. Even tho there's been scattered thunderstorms and I haven't gotten to ride much, I'll still have that itch. Which will be even worse with no bike in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I always miss any bikes I've owned. Hopefully, you get another one before too long. :)

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That time between is going to suck tho. Even tho there's been scattered thunderstorms and I haven't gotten to ride much, I'll still have that itch. Which will be even worse with no bike in the parking lot.
Exactly. The weather's been great and I really want to be out riding, but wait, no bike for the moment.

I always miss any bikes I've owned. Hopefully, you get another one before too long. :)
I'm kind of surprised at how much I am missing my bike. Seller's remorse, I guess. Let's hope that I do find a new bike soon. Then I can move on to Buyer's remorse. :mrgreen:

Well, whatcha shopping for?
Good question. I was looking at the Tourer's actually. Got some good advice from Markspike on them and everything. But I am also looking at the VTX 1300R despite the bad test ride since that was because of a poorly maintained bike.

I basically need a bike that was more powerful and stable than my VLX. Something that would be more comfortable for highway speeds and that I can take on longer rides and possible road trips.

I'm open to suggestions. However, I think the idea of the VTX is growing on me because I am coming up with some ideas on how to mod it and make it my own.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't matter what you get as long as you like it and you get it soon. Last two times I've sold a bike, I sold in February and bought in less than two weeks.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Exactly. The weather's been great and I really want to be out riding, but wait, no bike for the moment.

I'm kind of surprised at how much I am missing my bike. Seller's remorse, I guess. Let's hope that I do find a new bike soon. Then I can move on to Buyer's remorse. :mrgreen:

Good question. I was looking at the Tourer's actually. Got some good advice from Markspike on them and everything. But I am also looking at the VTX 1300R despite the bad test ride since that was because of a poorly maintained bike.

I basically need a bike that was more powerful and stable than my VLX. Something that would be more comfortable for highway speeds and that I can take on longer rides and possible road trips.

I'm open to suggestions. However, I think the idea of the VTX is growing on me because I am coming up with some ideas on how to mod it and make it my own.
Just don't limit yourself to one manufacturer. There are great bikes out there by all manufacturers, and you should look at as many as you can before deciding, unless you find the bike that seems "perfect" for now.

There are loads of low mileage bikes for sale, so you should find a good deal also.

BTW, the Tourer is a great bike...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love using Craigslist. Before I started using it, I would travel as far as New York, coming from North Carolina, to buy a sportbike. The reason I did that is because I came upon a great deal online. However, with more and more people using CL, I now deal with ads located within a 3 hour drive area. Looking back at my trip up to New York, I was lucky enough that the seller was legit and the Kawasaki Ninja EX500/500R had no issues whatsoever. It would have been a costly mistake if some things related to the sale went wrong.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
+1 on the manufacturer. I'm looking for a larger bike and rode a 2010 Yamaha stryker (1300cc). Decent price and great ride. I may end up pulling the trigger on this one but have a few more I want to try out.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the vtx and the tourer are both wonderful motorcycles. just take your time and you'll find the right bike for you. :D

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Congrats on the sale! Now you are one step closer to the new ride, you know my recommendation:p
I sold mine just before a big ride I wanted to go on this past spring, it sucked so bad telling everyone to have fun and be careful, it did not take long once I had the money to actually pick up my new one. Good luck on the shopping!
Coop

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My advice is ride all of them that intrest you, then decide on one. Oh, and yes, the ACE Tourer is a good choice.....------Metalguy

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm sure you'll find a bike you love very soon. I'm still on my VLX and I probably will be for a long time to come. It's been a great machine for me since I've moved up from the Rebel 250. I'm really wanting a 90s 1100 Shadow or anything in that range next. My dream would be the 1100 Magna, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Those bikes seem hard to come by from what I've been browsing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
+1 on the manufacturer. I'm looking for a larger bike and rode a 2010 Yamaha stryker (1300cc). Decent price and great ride. I may end up pulling the trigger on this one but have a few more I want to try out.

This is exactly where I'm at with my situation. I got a good starter bike, fixed it up, now looking to move up for something that I'll keep for a while. I started out wanting the 1300 Honda Sabre, then debated on the Fury. Then I found the Stryker.
After talking to a friend that works sales at the Honda dealership, he told me I might want to consider the 1800 VTXs. They dropped the prices on the '09 and '10s to the same as the Sabres. I did some research and found the Fury to not be too 2up friendly. Sabre was cool, 1800, I'd love the power, but I talked to another friend and he said the only real time I'd be able to open up that 1800 is on the highway.

Changed my perspective a lot. I don't like buying things the first year they come (I.E. 2011 Stryker) out because usually there's kinks that come out of the woodworks. But another Shadow owner friend reminded me that the 1300 in the Yamaha isn't new technology or anything. So it should be fine.
Also, the Honda guy told me he's owned a few things and Honda is the king (in terms of longevity). It's tough to go to another brand, but it's not like everything else out there is going to fall apart the second I drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sucks being bike less. Be sure and ride them all. I am drooling over a Kawasaki Vaquero right now.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys :)
I'm honestly not trying to limit myself to just Honda. The problem is that I just haven't seen bikes that I would like as my next bike from any other manufacturer. There's some subtle differences lookswise that I haven't quite figured out yet.

I also sat on quite a few different bikes the other day. Some of you think the stock Honda seats are bad... there are some really terrible seats out there.

It doesn't look good for buying off Craigslist. I see a lot of bikes for sale, but most of them don't look like they are in that good of condition or the seller is way overpricing or pretty much just not what I am looking for. On Monday I will be figuring out where some of the other local dealerships are and see what used bikes they have in stock.

kacealraid, I think I saw an 1100 Magna recently. Think it was an early 80's model though.

mblosch, yeah, the Vaquero is a nice looking bike as well. Didn't think much of it at first, but it's kind of grown on me.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I saw the 83 1100 you're talking about. It's in a good price range, but I'm afraid to sell off something that I know works (My shadow) for something that I might have to just put a lot of work into. My bike is my main mode of transportation, sad to say(kind of, I like it).

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to mention one other thing. This was the first motorcycle that the guy had ever bought. He was there with his brother who had recently gotten a Vulcan 900 and seemed to be the one who knew a little bit more about bikes.

You could just see the excitement building for him and see that he really liked the bike and wanted to get out and start riding. Reminded me of back when I bought it and had those same feelings. Kind of nice to see it going to someone like that.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It doesn't look good for buying off Craigslist. I see a lot of bikes for sale, but most of them don't look like they are in that good of condition or the seller is way overpricing or pretty much just not what I am looking for.
bikes are always high durin' the summer. the best deals are found durin' the winter. :p

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I know what you mean about making someone's day. It was a great feeling to get the Shadow 600 after my Rebel, it was like I was able to ride highways with my ass still attached to me! Lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts