Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the condition the fuel filter was in. Oh and I’m pretty sure that it was on backwards from the previous owner. Very little mechanical knowledge kinda learning as I go. Any tips or pointers are much appreciated!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
The filter sure did it's job even if it was backward.
Play it by ear.
Put in some Seafoam, ride it a while and see if it needs the carb done.
No use opening a can of worms if it starts and runs well every time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter sure did it's job even if it was backward.
Play it by ear.
Put in some Seafoam, ride it a while and see if it needs the carb done.
No use opening a can of worms if it starts and runs well every time.
It starts and idles for a few but chokes out after a couple of minutes or when any throttle is given. Last fill up I put a little file system cleaner in it. Can I add sea foam with the cleaner that I put in already?

·
Registered
'97 Shadow Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
177 Posts
VLX - I'd burn through the current tank of fuel, rather than mixing the Sea Foam with another additive. The current cleaner you added will continue to work on the deposits, so no harm in waiting. Keep an eye on that new filter, as the cleaner will continue to loosen varnish and sediment. You may need to change it several times until it starts staying clean for longer periods of time. ⌛

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It starts and idles for a few but chokes out after a couple of minutes or when any throttle is given. Last fill up I put a little file system cleaner in it. Can I add sea foam with the cleaner that I put in already?
Keep it simple stupid 😂 I found the problem runs like a hoss now. It was the hose from pump to carb was a little kinked choking it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VLX - I'd burn through the current tank of fuel, rather than mixing the Sea Foam with another additive. The current cleaner you added will continue to work on the deposits, so no harm in waiting. Keep an eye on that new filter, as the cleaner will continue to loosen varnish and sediment. You may need to change it several times until it starts staying clean for longer periods of time. ⌛
I am planning on it thanks for the heads up! I was surprised to find that the filter was only $5 lol

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
536 Posts
You may have more mechanical ability than you give yourself credit for. A kinked fuel line is an often overlooked 'carburetor' issue that has stumped plenty of experienced shade tree mechanics.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,403 Posts
Besides, you’re always safe looking at the carburetors! 😉

From what I can tell, the only difference in the filter is, installed properly, a bit of fuel comes inside the filter and goes to a larger piece outside. So, going backwards, it’s conceivable the engine could draw fuel faster than the filter could… filter, but I’d doubt it. That would take quite a bit of gas!

·
Registered
662 Posts
This is the condition the fuel filter was in. Oh and I’m pretty sure that it was on backwards from the previous owner. Very little mechanical knowledge kinda learning as I go. Any tips or pointers are much appreciated! View attachment 295880
View attachment 295879
'

TOO Many people go digging into their bikes Way Too early!
'
Run some SeaFoam.
And, not just a couple of ounces.

Pour half a can in there, it won`t hurt, it`s a petroleum product !!!!!!!
If that doesn`t help, try another half of can, and another.

RIDE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'

TOO Many people go digging into their bikes Way Too early!
'
Run some SeaFoam.
And, not just a couple of ounces.

Pour half a can in there, it won`t hurt, it`s a petroleum product !!!!!!!
If that doesn`t help, try another half of can, and another.

RIDE!

View attachment 295943
I am starting to notice that as a common go to for myself each time something happens and it’s not lol. Thanks for the advice good sir! Next weekend when I ride I’ll add some to a fresh tank and smoke everyone out 🤣

1 - 10 of 10 Posts