Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100c that came with the original mags and I want to change them.
Can anybody tell What spoke rims will fit my bike and what white walls can goo with them please?

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,106 Posts
Why? To many advantages of alloy over spoke wheels as it would be like stepping back in time so to speak. The difference in rear brakes, tire size, front brake positioning, front fork brake caliper mtg., etc. I suggest redoing the finish on your stock wheels. Powder coat comes too mind for one. You like the 1100 tp. motor/variant, maybe the 01'-02' Aero would fit what you want + 5spd. gear box.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The 1100 Aero had rear disk brakes,,, could get complicated. Shaft drive and rear drum could be hard to come up with, possibly the 750 aero spoke wheels. Start by checking things like axle, axle spacers, brake shoes etc. Find what all bikes the axle fits for example, might tell you whether the wheel is a possibility. some sites like ronayers.com for example, once you look up a part number, then search for that number, there is a " where used " link that will show where all honda used that part. note: if a model isn't listed doesn't mean a part wont fit, just that Honda never put it there, But if the part that an item bolts to is the same, there's a possibility,,,

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hear H13man. I have a 97 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2 that had spoke wheels and while it did look super-retro cool when I had white walls (like your pic) they were an absolute PIA when it came to cleaning/polishing them. My wheels weren't perfect to begin with but I just gave up and put on a set of 2001 sabre wheels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mags are awesome , my Shadow has spokes and they are a pain to keep clean, I like the old school look but the factory spokes come with a coating, maybe zinc, but if it ever gets scrubbed off the metal underneath will start to turn black and spotty, real nasty. The previous owner had polished the coating so I kinda had no choice, but somthing I plan to fix in the future, either chroming or painting them, just gonna ride her for a while until then, can't wait to see what you decide.. Ride on Brother.

·
Registered
1986 VT1100c
135 Posts
Again, why??? If it works, don't break it😉

The idea of changing good factory wheels, and all the associated systems, that function and aren't damaged due to "style" considerations is pointless,, don't like the style? Get a different bike,,,😜

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
One big advantage to the alloy wheels is tubeless tires. That makes fixing a flat MUCH easier, especially on the road.

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,599 Posts
I see the reasoning for wanting the spokes. They give the bike a more classic look. However the work required to downgrade makes it a romantic but otherwise bad idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts