Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Shadow 1100 back in 87 and sold it, bad move! I always loved that bike, and just bought a 96 VT1100C two days ago. I was surprised how well they hold there value! Love the bike!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome back bud.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The bike I almost got before I found this 04 gem was a 97. It was clean indeed. I think I know what you mean about them holding value.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was clean, and ran fairly good when I got it a few days ago. It has 11,000 miles on it. I changed the oil & filter, and it looks like it has never been changed before! I am using syn 10-40 bike oil now. I added 1/4 bottle Seafoam to a new tank of gas, and it seems to be helping what I think was a bit of gumming in the carbs. It runs and shifts noticeably better now, after doing those two things! Now time for new plugs (anybody know what gap to use?), and fresh shaft drive oil. My bike is a four speed, and now I see there are guys with Shadows with 5 speeds also? What gives with that??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took your word and bought a Switchblade windshield (2-up), and wow is it nice! Perfect for the long hauls, and instantly off for the "around town" riding! Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
4 & 5 speeds

It was clean, and ran fairly good when I got it a few days ago. It has 11,000 miles on it. I changed the oil & filter, and it looks like it has never been changed before! I am using syn 10-40 bike oil now. I added 1/4 bottle Seafoam to a new tank of gas, and it seems to be helping what I think was a bit of gumming in the carbs. It runs and shifts noticeably better now, after doing those two things! Now time for new plugs (anybody know what gap to use?), and fresh shaft drive oil. My bike is a four speed, and now I see there are guys with Shadows with 5 speeds also? What gives with that??

Sounds like a great bike;-)

I read somewhere (maybe here) that Honda made the 1100 with a 4 speed up until 95, when they made some changes and changed the tranny to a 5 speed. However, there were some '95 models at the end of the year that didn't sell, so they retooled them and sold them as 1996 models.

It took me awhile to get used too, but I've grown to like the 4 speed. Most of my riding around town is done in 2nd or 3rd, and I hit 4th on the open road about 55mph. It just seems like I don't have to shift as often.

Have fun, & post pics!!

Later,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts