Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
956 Posts
Looks like at least you were not going too fast or it could have been nasty! Did this just happen? How are you feeling afterwards. Anything seriously worng? with you or the bike? Too nice of a bike to see messed up, it's not like its a Harley.

Looking back on it, what do you think went wrong, other then the obvious ice. I am not crash re-enactment expert by any means but it looked fairly straight across but the front end went out quickly. Did you by any chance grab some front brake? I know from riding my mountain bike on snow and ice, a tiny bit of front brake spells disaster very quickly.

·
Banned
956 Posts
Well, thank god.... Although there is still a scratched bike out there somewhere.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you by any chance grab some front brake? I know from riding my mountain bike on snow and ice, a tiny bit of front brake spells disaster very quickly.

After looking at the video a bunch of times, I think the rider got on, at least, the front brake and that is what put him down. You can see as he goes down, that his fingers are definitely on the brake lever.

No brakes and maybe pull the clutch and that little bit of ice shouldn't have been anything other than a small seat pucker.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think he was still leaning a bit from the turn.

You ever found yourself in that sort of situation? If so, how did you handle it?
When I was on my "freedom ride" from the Navy going from Whidbey Island to Minneapolis I hit a long stretch of ice, miles long. I didn't notice it until I hit the interstate and the road reflected the morning sunrise. Everything was iced over except for the two tire tracks on the right-hand lane and everyone was going very fast. All I could do at the time was keep in in the left tire track and that's what I did. I knew that if I tried to get off of the highway I would go down. That tire track was my life and my whole being was focused on it. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

That was also the trip that I learned that steel-toed flight deck boots are not the best choice for winter riding.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ouch. Poor guy was sure frazzled from it. Not from AZ either, by his accent, sure put a damper on his vacation.

He was darned fortunate that he wasn't going any faster and that there wasn't any traffic around when he went down.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Glad to see the guy was OK. IMHO riding when there's snow or ice AT ALL it's not worth it. Even if the roads seem clear, all it takes is one shady spot and well, you saw what can happen. Believe me I'm chompin' at the bit to get riding. It's been a loooong winter up here in MN and it's finally supposed to get above freezing. I'll get out in the garage and do a little wrenching, but NO RIDING. There are enough dangers in riding a bike (mostly people in cars). No sense in adding more troubles, especially when they are avoidable.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
one of em had a southern accent,,donno,,,i wouldn't have been riding in those conditions,,,h#ll, the shady parts of the road gave me pucker moments..ya'll noted that the ice was still in the sun,,,

mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
As mentioned above, good thing he was going at a leisurely pace. Also, aside from from the loafers and khakis, those gloves didn't look too great for the finger tips. Good thing he was ok, and good thing someone drove by to help him get the bike up.

Nice bike too, I'm curious to see what all that plastic looks like on the bottom side now though.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I find it interesting, and maybe someone can answer this for me, that he was riding in near to sub freezing temps and he was wearing loafers, khakis and fingerless gloves. That just seems like awfully light gear for that temp. Being from Florida, maybe I'm just not familiar with those conditions and that bike.

·
Banned
956 Posts
The full fairing keeps all the wind off him. If it was a nice warm day, he would have been fine without the windchill.

I have riden/driven in conditions like that, sometimes even without the fairing you need to get out, although I need to dress way warmer. Everytime he went from sun to shade though, I cringed going here it is. By far the best place to hit ice. Surprized he hit it where he did.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I find it interesting, and maybe someone can answer this for me, that he was riding in near to sub freezing temps and he was wearing loafers, khakis and fingerless gloves. That just seems like awfully light gear for that temp. Being from Florida, maybe I'm just not familiar with those conditions and that bike.
Mt. Lemmon is in the Santa Catalina Mountains just north of Tucson, AZ. It'd be nice and warm at the base of the mountain, and i'd guess the guy wasn't expecting it to be cold enough for ice higher up. Frankly, i was a bit suprised to see snow along the edges of the road. It does happen though.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Too friggin cold for me..If there was runoff sheet ice it was not even close to 40 degrees. That ice is thin and melts quickly above freezing. Was it even in shade where you find most morning ice?

Ya either have to have a new bike or just love riding to go out in those conditions and with khakis and loafers as well..There will be no snow on the ground allowd when and where I ride. A nice ride in a toasty Vette though...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Looks to me like he hit the front brake. That will put you down on ice faster than anything. If you are going to ride where there is ice, you gotta know the roads. Otherwise you learn the hard way like this guy did. Glad he didn't get hurt too badly.

sanoke

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you search youtube, he has taken that video, shopped it and has the accident section play to melissa etheridge...piece of my heart.

he was riding a 2011 victory vision...1740 cc/96 hp. states he's been riding since 1955, raced motocross, 6 years of riding ironbutt and endurance rides...unfortunately, i could not resist putting my 2 cents in.

'black ice is not visible, what u rode through is clearly visible...water. clear warning 2be cautious. jan 14th, 9k above c level, sunny day, should have been warning...snow melts, runs across road...u turn on it, u brake on it, u go down. ur hand clearly on front brake. understand u have lot of experience, u just got some more. what experience has u out wearing finger-less gloves, loafers and loose dress pants...joke. 2fine a machine 2lay down like that. video i'd have kept 2myself.'

does look a bit harsh, but, my gosh, do you have to be slapped in the face to know that those types of dangers are out there and just around the next bend?

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
if you search youtube, he has taken that video, shopped it and has the accident section play to melissa etheridge...piece of my heart.

he was riding a 2011 victory vision...1740 cc/96 hp. states he's been riding since 1955, raced motocross, 6 years of riding ironbutt and endurance rides...unfortunately, i could not resist putting my 2 cents in.

'black ice is not visible, what u rode through is clearly visible...water. clear warning 2be cautious. jan 14th, 9k above c level, sunny day, should have been warning...snow melts, runs across road...u turn on it, u brake on it, u go down. ur hand clearly on front brake. understand u have lot of experience, u just got some more. what experience has u out wearing finger-less gloves, loafers and loose dress pants...joke. 2fine a machine 2lay down like that. video i'd have kept 2myself.'

does look a bit harsh, but, my gosh, do you have to be slapped in the face to know that those types of dangers are out there and just around the next bend?
Spot on...but then, consider the noobs on the board, eh?

Isn't that what we are here to teach them?;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts