Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to slim down and brighten-up (LED) the tail and plate area?

I've seen some examples of having a fish-eye light with a plate mount - also an integrated light/brake-light/ indicator strip.

So I'm just looking for an easy option - nothing too complicated for the part-time tinkerer - or too expensive either. And when I say 'easy' I just want to be switching wires over, not doing any splicing or lengthening or re-routing, if possible.

Really appreciate any good, easy ideas. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Dunno how to 'streamline' it much, so I'm prob'ly not much help.
Just some stuff to consider:

Several outfits, including Kuryakyn, make a 'relocator' to put your turn signals onto your license plate.

Upgrade the signal bulbs with LED switchback bulbs. The cheapest ones are on eBay; some of the better ones (in my opinion!) are the Custom Dynamics versions.

Add a flashing brake light module, for more visibility, and install the two brightest LED bulbs you can find, into your existing housing.

SuperBrightLEDs sells neat, inexpensive LED license plate lights....shielded, and made into bolts that hold your license plate on.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno how to 'streamline' it much, so I'm prob'ly not much help.
Just some stuff to consider:

Several outfits, including Kuryakyn, make a 'relocator' to put your turn signals onto your license plate.

Upgrade the signal bulbs with LED switchback bulbs. The cheapest ones are on eBay; some of the better ones (in my opinion!) are the Custom Dynamics versions.

Add a flashing brake light module, for more visibility, and install the two brightest LED bulbs you can find, into your existing housing.

SuperBrightLEDs sells neat, inexpensive LED license plate lights....shielded, and made into bolts that hold your license plate on.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Gnarly - Yes helpful - I'll take a look.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I can't answer that. I had some ideas how to trim up and brighten up my wife's tail section and that all went to hell in a hand basket.:eek:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I can't answer that. I had some ideas how to trim up and brighten up my wife's tail section and that all went to hell in a hand basket.:eek:
Kind of my first thought when I saw the title, go on a diet and exercise but I was thinking for yourself, never say that to your wife it will always get you in the dog house! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Nice work, philcrudo!

Coupla weeks ago, Carolina Leathers had a bag like the rear one on sale, when I bought my sissy bar bag & roll up tool bag.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Did you guys have to cut the rear frame? I'm about to do mine in similar fashion, so tips and instructions would be appreciated.

Dingo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your not technically able to make a kit buying the Drag Specialties wide cat eye tail light then buy the bolt on kit that replaces the rear tail lamp section that just unbolt the old and bolts on the new. Amazon sells one as does ebay if you look vehicle specific that plug in as well. I'd stay away from led version unless you understand diodes and electronic relays.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It has ALOT to do with EVERYTHING. The Honda Shadow Spirit has a factory incandescent light bulbs with a non dedicated ground that will feedback power through it shorting out other circuits or just not work at all. Im not going to recreate the wheel as they have already been discused on this site. search "LED CONVERSION". There are other instructions as well as extensive instructions that are complicated beyond a simple 3 wire hook up for led tail light and definitely for led turn signals all which require diodes to stop the forementioned back flowing of power into other circuits as well as resistors and an electronic flasher relay REQUIRED to make the system see the right loads to flash consistent and also will allow a single input led turn signal act as a marker lamp too.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Youve obviously never actually worked on one have ya? Cause, youre wrong. I ran LED bulbs for years in all turns and tail and only changed the turn signal relay.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It has ALOT to do with EVERYTHING. The Honda Shadow Spirit has a factory incandescent light bulbs with a non dedicated ground that will feedback power through it shorting out other circuits or just not work at all. Im not going to recreate the wheel as they have already been discused on this site. search "LED CONVERSION". There are other instructions as well as extensive instructions that are complicated beyond a simple 3 wire hook up for led tail light and definitely for led turn signals all which require diodes to stop the forementioned back flowing of power into other circuits as well as resistors and an electronic flasher relay REQUIRED to make the system see the right loads to flash consistent and also will allow a single input led turn signal act as a marker lamp too.

Youve obviously never actually worked on one have ya? Cause, youre wrong. I ran LED bulbs for years in all turns and tail and only changed the turn signal relay.
I run an LED replacement bulb in my brake/running light with no problems. I changed out my flasher to cure hyper flash, my rear LED's would not work when wired directly. When I ran the resistor they came with they worked fine. The fronts are mirror/LED and I don't believe they have resistors (although they might inside). So replacement bulbs in the factory housings will work but changing the stock out for LED will require resistors in the system (somewhere). The flasher will only solve hyper flash. I just finished redoing my lights so I have worked on them and do know.
I have created a thread that explains how to cut your fender to flip your plate, took me 10 minutes and a sharp x-acto blade. Really cleaned up the back and cost nothing. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

Dingo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.