·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Check my signature...
ABATE member 38 years...

I joined on the ground floor ;)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

Yes CrazyDave there are "Idiots" working against us...

History of ABATE is in my signature too, for those interested...
BUT don`tchyaknow NOT many are interested in our future as motorcyclists

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Speaking of which ==>

Georgia has Lobby Day at our state capitol on January 21, we have the Rotunda rented to provide our legislators with free chili lunch and is our chance to discuss our wants and needs with them...
Red Light "Dead Light" bill is one, Discrimination, handlebar height stiffer penalty if you violate our right of way and we die are some more agenda items we will discuss...

Most motorcyclists just watch but we act!!!
ABATE of GA

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
And I quote: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

Honestly, I wish they'd regulate the bureaucraps, instead.

On the other hand...

“Who in their right mind would take a 1- or 2-year-old on a motorcycle and risk the safety of that child?”

There's always someone. :roll:

But I'm getting sick and tired of people who "want to help" with nothing better to do with their time than spending our money binding us all to stupid regulations because of a few dummies. Grrrr.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
What the actual hell...i think thats a troll article lol.

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
Speaking of which ==>

Georgia has Lobby Day at our state capitol on January 21, we have the Rotunda rented to provide our legislators with free chili lunch and is our chance to discuss our wants and needs with them...
Red Light "Dead Light" bill is one, Discrimination, handlebar height stiffer penalty if you violate our right of way and we die are some more agenda items we will discuss...

Most motorcyclists just watch but we act!!!
ABATE of GA
Why do you believe that there should be harsher penalties if a motorcycle is envolved? As much as I would like to see someone who causes a motorcyle accident get a harsh sentence, I don't think that it would ever get passed. It would better serve the riding public to require all drivers get mandatory training on motorcycles rights and be a ware of riders.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There is no way, speaking as a father of two I will/would not allow my kids on the bike until 1) they could hold on to my belt and 2) they could sit still. A baby is unable to do either so how could they travel? On front is illegal anyway. I also have a problem with "strapping" a kid to a bike. If you go over that could would be dragged with the bike rather than being thrown clear (one hopes) and their safety equiment doing it's job. Having a kid on your bike is a huge issue for me, on the one hand you want them to enjoy your passion but on the other, god forbid something happens to them. A ride with my kid is to take extra (extra, extra, extra) risk mitigation even more than by myself. I'm not saying that there's not some knuckle draggers who would take a baby on their bike, but some people just shouldn't have kids.
Kid seats and seatbelts on a bike-give me a break. How about a age/size/weight restriction.

Dingo.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do you believe that there should be harsher penalties if a motorcycle is envolved? As much as I would like to see someone who causes a motorcyle accident get a harsh sentence, I don't think that it would ever get passed. It would better serve the riding public to require all drivers get mandatory training on motorcycles rights and be a ware of riders.

The only reason I can think of is that there is an inordinate amount of people who walk away with a slap on the wrist for killing riders in these types of accidents with just a fine of failing to yield

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Ain`t just Bikers!
It is a $250 fine IF you cause a death by ROW violation... (Bike, Car or train)
ABATE is asking or attempting to get stiffer penalties ...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
But really.....wouldn't a 1 to 12 month old just fit in a saddlebag anyway?

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
^^^^ Absolutely they would!!! That's what happens when non-riders legislate riding laws..I-mean.. OHMyGod!

Rant cut short to preserve the Spirit of the Season :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I agree with CrazyDave's take and would add that I am sick of folks accepting the fact that "I didn't see him" is a viable defense when a motorcycle is involved. People don't know how to look / they're in a hurry. And many two wheelers are not pure as driven snow when it comes to 'driving' habits.

I'd bet that stiffer penalties for accidents involving a motorcycle could make bikes very visible.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Their are trying to pass this law in the wrong country. I have spent a long time in Asia on business and almost every day I have seen whole family's on motorcycles. Talk about getting a bad feeling in your stomach every time I saw this. Babies strapped to thier mothers kids sitting on the handle bars. What a sight.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I agree with CrazyDave's take and would add that I am sick of folks accepting the fact that "I didn't see him" is a viable defense when a motorcycle is involved. People don't know how to look / they're in a hurry. And many two wheelers are not pure as driven snow when it comes to 'driving' habits.

I'd bet that stiffer penalties for accidents involving a motorcycle could make bikes very visible.
^^^This^^^

Stiffer penalties, regardless of the type of vehicles involved, are needed.

With motorcycles, the general idea that riders are destined to be killed simply because they ride those dangerous "murdercycles" has lead the public to expect it. The result is often lesser penalties for the same offenses because it was a motorcyclist. We are perceived as more culpable for our own fate than other motorist victims because we choose the more dangerous mode of transport.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Point to ponder

200,000 Bikes registered in GA with just under 2,000 freedom fighters onboard with ABATE

Too many do not care!

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts

A theory I get on board with, is that a lot of it has to do with looming.. An approaching car is perceived as a threat very early on due to it's perceived size, it looks as if it's traveling faster than it is, because it's profile is so large to begin with..

In comparison, we are but dots on the horizon and our profile doesn't change drastically until the last minute. We seem further away than we are - and we don't seem to be traveling as fast as we are, as our size doesn't seem to increase until we are much closer to those seeing us..

Then...

You hear all the time about riders who have been riding for 40 years, who have not once been in an accident.. Mostly it's due to responsible riding, being aware of the best positions to take on the road, being aware of their surroundings, knowing things like: it's safer to be part of a herd approaching an intersection (using a car or cars to build up our profile), or making that extra effort to be seen (one way or another), or instinctively switching to high alert (expecting to evade), or etc..

On the other hand you also hear all the time about people speeding who get hurt - again - looming.. The faster you go the less time - due to your perceived size on the horizon - a person you are approaching perceives you as close enough to be a threat.. Or people generally riding around on two wheels in an idiotic fashion, engaging in boneheaded moves any MSF class would teach you to avoid like the plague..

We can run to legislation and put the inordinate blame squarely on the guy pulling out in front of us.. But I can guarantee you, that if there were stiffer penalties involved for those "not seeing us" - for the reasons you-yourself stated - those legislating would - at the same time - dress us all up like... Well... Me.. Hi-Viz, blinky headlights (or something to that effect), to MAKE us Seen and to give cagers the best chance to avoid such stiff penalties.

And nobody - not even me - wants that.

I live in Arizona, not even a helmet law for people over ?? 13? .. Choice.. It's a thing of beauty.. So, it would be a shame to have that taken away by legislators because we dumped responsibility for our safety on them to handle..

We signed up for the risks when we took to two wheels.. We all knew the dangers going in.. How we ride, what we ride, how we choose to dress, it should all be a part of that freedom of choosing to ride.

If any of that is even remotely true.. My opinion.. Let's keep the legislators out of this. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
My biggest ? Is how many people take a baby under 1 years of age on a bike. Then second if a kid is in a baby seat buckled up and you have a accadent well the bike could have landed on the kid if it fliped. So what are they trying to do here? Kill kids with tieing them down to bikes. Without it a kid is safer . Now kids under say 5 on a bike is asking for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts