Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my "new to me" '07 750 Aero the idle speed seems too high. Even when I'm fully warmed up, if I ride in first gear and don't give it any throttle, it runs at about 10 miles per hour. Does this sound right?

Is there an easy way to put a tach on it without having to remove the gas tank? Also my tach only reads out for 6 and 8 cylinder engines. What's the conversion for a 2 cyl engine.

I also never have to choke it to start. It's been down as low as 40*F and it still starts right up. Is this another carb adjustment or is this the way it should work. I bought this from a dealer who was supposed to check all this stuff but I'm having some doubts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Your doubts are well placed. There is an old saying about it...

for 6 cyl setting, divide by 3; for 8 cyl setting, divide by 4.

Hard to say what is right, you need a tach (not a dash tach) to properly set idle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so is there an easy way to attach the tach? What's the hard way?

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you're only wanting to use the tach to set the idle speed, you can use many of the electronic timing lights and simply use the pickup from that to find the rpm.

IF you're wanting a tach all the time, then you'll have to do a little more hard-wiring. You know, the hard-er stuff! :mrgreen:

I tinker with mine on occasion, and I simply have it set where I like it. The bike doesn't stall and it doesn't sound like it's on high-idle. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
There's several led readout inductive tachs for sale for ~$40. All you have to do is wrap the inductive wire of the tach around a spark plug wire. They can be handlebar mounted or used just for testing. They have several settings that can be used depending upon the ignition set-up. There was a thread about what value should be set for the Honda twins with 4 plugs depending upon the pulse generator.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the idle down?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Crap, wish I could help you. My MOM says my 06' Aero should be 1200 +/- 100. As a musician with no tach, I go by ear. It's as low as it can go and sounds like it want's to sit at a red light and sound real cool all day. And it does... What it is I can't exactly say.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Perhaps, the previous owner adjusted the idle speed too high. The rpm is suppose to be set when the engine reaches operating temperature. Dunno with your bike, but occasionally the idle adjuster works itself loose in its friction bracket and vibrations eventually rotate the knob in the direction that increases the idle. On mine's there's a nut that maintains the friction.

IMHO, a tachometer isn't absolutely necessary. If the idle is set too high the only disadvantage is a teaspoon less mileage per gallon. Proper idle insures that you get enough electricity at the low rpm. And that the oil pump is circulating enough oil. I set my idle so the bike pulls in first gear without any throttle, abate, not as fast as 10mph, about 5mph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all!

I'll see if I can find a tach to borrow, but I think I like the "by feel" method. I'll try Ronw's 5mph method and see how that works. If anyone else can find a speed at idle, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I turned it down so it still runs at idle and I like the sound much better. What's the downside of too low? Right now my lights aren't at full brightness until I rev it up. I may tweak it a little higher.

Does anyone ever have to use the choke? The manual says you should use it under 90* as I recall but mine starts fine at least into the low 50s and I think lower.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Its not going to sound like a Harley so the idle needs to be a bit higher than they sound.
I would investigate the lights dimming at idle; get a voltage reading at the battery. There could be a hidden charging issue that was masked by the high idle.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Right now my lights aren't at full brightness until I rev it up.
Completely normal. The Shadow's charging system practically does nothing at idle.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Well, I turned it down so it still runs at idle and I like the sound much better. What's the downside of too low? Right now my lights aren't at full brightness until I rev it up. I may tweak it a little higher.

Does anyone ever have to use the choke? The manual says you should use it under 90* as I recall but mine starts fine at least into the low 50s and I think lower.
I always use the choke when starting my Shadow no matter the temp, and then back it off bit by bit. It helps the engine to warm up faster and and the increased idle rpm relieves the load on the battery. You probably should check your battery also to make sure it's up to snuff fluid and voltage wise.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
There's several led readout inductive tachs for sale for ~$40. All you have to do is wrap the inductive wire of the tach around a spark plug wire. They can be handlebar mounted or used just for testing. They have several settings that can be used depending upon the ignition set-up. There was a thread about what value should be set for the Honda twins with 4 plugs depending upon the pulse generator.
This was $15. I will give it a shot.

Digital Hour Meter Tachometer Tach Tacho for Yamaha KTM Honda Kawasaki I
Motorcycle Dirt Bike ATV UTV Quad Generator MX Snowmobile Boat Outboard Jet Ski 4 2 Stroke Gas Engine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049IFX56/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_L28Fub0F7QC9Y

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've read if too low, oil pressure may be low and cause more wear at idle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts

the only downside that I have found with setting the idle too low was a tendency to stall out when coming to a stop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts