Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stop whatever you are doing, and order a pair, RIGHT NOW !!

I just drove home from High Point-- 37 degrees, with wind chill that makes it feel 30 (according to the internet).... I had my new Tourmaster Synergy gloves set to medium (high/med/low setting) and could have rode ALL NIGHT!!!

They are worth every bit of the $129 -- and you don't need to buy trollers or controllers, or anything-- it comes with everything you need to wear them either with the coordinating jacket or by themselves.

My jacket is not here yet, so you take the enclosed cord, route thru each arm of your jacket, plug into the gloves and hook power cord in. I had my mechanic hook my battery cord in today-- took about 10 minutes (getting the seat on and off is the hardest part). The power cord comes out right above my seat and sits right there in the middle of the bottom of the tank.

Once the jacket is here-- there are connector cords in the cuffs that zip out to hook into the gloves which will make it a little easier. I would recommend the gloves regardless.

The difference between my $300 Hondaline heated grips and the heated gloves is this:

You FEEL the heat coming up through the grips onto your hands ---nice except when it's freezing and the wind is freezing your finger tips.

I don't feel the heat at all in the Tourmaster gloves--- what it feels like is that my hands are inside my house-- that comfortable temperature that's not hot, nor cold-- it's just right.

Sorry for the long review-- and I'm sure all the heated gloves work about the same-- I just like not having to buy all the accessories separately.

Snug as a bug in a rug.... Denise

·
Registered
640 Posts
I bought a pair of Widder gloves from a guy I ride with. I've ordered the cord that hooks to the battery. I paid $65 for the gloves and the cord with the on/off switch and another $16 for the cord I ordered. On the Widder gloves you can't use a controller if your just using the gloves. Their website says something about the power draw being too low. From everything that I've read the on/off switch works fine because, as Denese says the gloves don't get hot. Your hands just stay comfortable. This is my first winter riding but so far nothing is getting cold except my fingers. Lets hope the gloves take care of that.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikec said:
So do you recommend both the heated gloves AND heated grips or just the heated gloves?
If I could only do one... I'd do the heated grips all over again. You can turn those babies on all year round. Don't have to worry about leaving them at home. I rode all last winter with the heated grips....

But-- you're limited.... at below 25 degrees, they just don't cut it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I agree with Denisep about the heated gloves, I have these http://cozywinters.com/shop/wg-hclg.html and they work great along with my Electric Jacket Liner from Warm n Safe, will be using them in the morning with a ride along with several No. Calif. Shadow Riders and it will definetly be in the low 40's or hi 30's (not including the wind chill factor), with the controller it is easy to adjust the temp as needed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got Heated Grips and Heated Gloves.

Normally I'd go with Grips over Gloves, until ~40 degrees or so... Then Gloves have it all over Grips.

The Gerbings gloves I have a very warm, but bulky....

Make sure you give yourself more TIME to get to things on the handlebars.... Like Brakes, Clutch, Swtiches!! The Bulk will take longer to happen!!!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
denisep said:
mikec said:
So do you recommend both the heated gloves AND heated grips or just the heated gloves?
If I could only do one... I'd do the heated grips all over again. You can turn those babies on all year round. Don't have to worry about leaving them at home. I rode all last winter with the heated grips....

But-- you're limited.... at below 25 degrees, they just don't cut it.
Denise,

What size glove do you wear? Diane has smallish hands and the problem she has is there is usually too much fabric at the tips of the fingers. Fitting her with gloves that aren't too bulky is quite a challenge.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hunnus2000 said:
What size glove do you wear?
I wear a medium in ladies... for these Tourmaster, I ordered a small and they fit just fine... they pinch a little on my right thumb, but I think I have a freakishly long right thumb as most of my gloves pinch it.

I would say as a medium girl glove wearer, I could have almost done a medium in the mens-- kind of in between. The small should fit her fine.

Unfortunately-- the smaller sizes are usually not available in the stores to try on. My Honda dealer has lots of gloves-- in large and extra large. :cry:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
denisep said:
hunnus2000 said:
What size glove do you wear?
I wear a medium in ladies... for these Tourmaster, I ordered a small and they fit just fine... they pinch a little on my right thumb, but I think I have a freakishly long right thumb as most of my gloves pinch it.

I would say as a medium girl glove wearer, I could have almost done a medium in the mens-- kind of in between. The small should fit her fine.

Unfortunately-- the smaller sizes are usually not available in the stores to try on. My Honda dealer has lots of gloves-- in large and extra large. :cry:
Thanks a bunch!

I may have to "roll the bones" and give those a shot!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think i'm gettin' old. I wouldn't ride in 25 degree weather if you paid me! :shock: I've been riding for a looooong time, but there ain't nothing that important on a day/night that cold :lol:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Denise,
Did you also order the heated jacket liner (~ $162) or the heated vest? The jacket liner looks nice, especially since (I assume?) the wiring is right there at the cuffs of the jacket liner to plug into the gloves? I've looked for any pictures that showed the wiring for the vests / jacket liners, but all the pics just show the wiring that comes out of the bottom of the jacket.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Denise, whenever someone asks what heated gear a person should get, I always recommend gloves as the first (or only, if they can only afford one). You can always add another layer of fleece or something to a jacket, or add a balaclava for the helmet, but your hands are out there in the wind and EVERY glove will chill down in the wind, no matter.

Good review.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the full jacket liner because the gloves plug right into the end of each arm.... super easy.... (and my arms get really cold)

I agree with Chornbe-- I would order the gloves first if I could only buy one piece. -- I rode this morning to the gym (about 20 miles)--- heated gloves on high, several layers of clothing over my ski suit. 26 degrees outside. I was fine....

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I had to turn on my heated grips and heated seat the other day, it was all the way down to 55. I was freezing my baguettes off!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
What I don't like about heated grips is, they make me wanna squeeze too tight. For a newb like me, a relaxed grip is best. They certainly put some heat back into the hands, despite leaving the fingertips out in the cold (so to speak).

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
webbikereview.com just did their reviews on the Tourmaster Synergy vest & gloves... the vest they gave glowing review, however they did not care for the gloves at all.

The complaint was that they could not feel the heat.... neither could I, but I thought that was what made them awesome. My hands were not cold, so I know the heat was on-- again it was 26 degrees-- they were working.

I agree that they are not super fly cool looking with the cords hanging out-- but I'm not much on hiding stuff that you need either-- so what if the cords hang out. They did not get in my way at all.

Might want to hang a few weeks and see if they re-release the gloves with updates.

G

·
0 Posts
Wassup said:
I had to turn on my heated grips and heated seat the other day, it was all the way down to 55. I was freezing my baguettes off!!!
mmmm at 55 degrees I "may" get out the thermal tank top

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Jan Janowski said:
Make sure you give yourself more TIME to get to things on the handlebars.... Like Brakes, Clutch, Swtiches!! The Bulk will take longer to happen!!!
+1

It always seems to take a ride or two to get used to the "delayed" response from the bulky gloves late in the year and then back to the "quick" response from the thinner gloves early in the year. And this isn't just from the electric ones -- any multi-layer glove will cause some delay as the layers slip against each other. It's not a big deal if you take the time to get accustomed as the seasons change.

As for the decision on gloves or vest/jacket first, I'm on the other side of that -- I'd always get the one that will keep the core of my body warm first. But consider that I run a little "warm blooded" and I'll ride in temps down to 20º F; I won't even bother with electric gear in temperatures above freezing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
adlowe
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing