Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy, I just read the fuelology in entirety. nowhere did I find factory recommendation for octane on my newly acquired and first Honda in 30 years or so. there is no manual in or on it so I can't simply look at the manual. anyway, if someone who has this or similar machine would indulge me I want to know what octane Honda recommends for the '04 aero 750. it only has now about 4400 miles in those ten years and I know nothing about it's maintainance over those years but the fellow I bought it from said he used only the highest octane available where he stopped for fuel. I have moved down to using midgrade which here is about 89 r+m/2.
if Honda recommends 87 , i'll try that. i'm sure I could google or something but youse guys are so nice=====that at 1:40 in the morning that seems ok to ask. then I go to bed and let the thread ferment a while.

old newbie to Honda
ken

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
^^^... Yup! ...Unless work has been done to increase compression, I would use the 87.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Look inside side covers, should state it there. I have seen a few of the same year model Hondas show 2 different octanes, Spirit 750 said one thing, aero said other. One was 87, one was 89.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know everyone keeps saying to use 87 but to tell the truth in my 86 VT700 I get the best over all mileage and power by using 89 [mid grade], here in North Carolina? Just saying........... I say use what works best.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I ran nothing but 87 in my Shadow and i run 93 in my Fury because of the tune i have loaded into my PCV. It actually makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
When I'm riding and burning through tanks of gas I use 87 and it works great. The only time I change is when I store the bike. Then I run the tank almost dry and fill up with non ethanol gas. It happens to be high octane, but I only use it the keep the ethanol out of the system while its sitting.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I know everyone keeps saying to use 87 but to tell the truth in my 86 VT700 I get the best over all mileage and power by using 89 [mid grade], here in North Carolina? Just saying........... I say use what works best.
i know the 85,86 vt1100's ran higher compression pistons and a different cam, thus they could run more octane. perhaps, and i say perhaps because i'm not sure, your 86 vt700 may also utilize higher compression pistons?? as has been said a thousand times and a thousand ways... more octane raises the temp needed for combustion, thus it is an ant-knock fuel, not a hotter fuel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
howdy, I just read the fuelology in entirety. nowhere did I find factory recommendation for octane on my newly acquired and first Honda in 30 years or so. there is no manual in or on it so I can't simply look at the manual. anyway, if someone who has this or similar machine would indulge me I want to know what octane Honda recommends for the '04 aero 750. it only has now about 4400 miles in those ten years and I know nothing about it's maintainance over those years but the fellow I bought it from said he used only the highest octane available where he stopped for fuel. I have moved down to using midgrade which here is about 89 r+m/2.
if Honda recommends 87 , i'll try that. i'm sure I could google or something but youse guys are so nice=====that at 1:40 in the morning that seems ok to ask. then I go to bed and let the thread ferment a while.

old newbie to Honda
ken
I don't know what Honda recommends for the 750 Aero. Mostly, the fuel octane requirement is a function of the compression ratio. My vt600 has a comp ratio of 9.2, and honda recommends 87 octane for that bike. All science aside, I get better mileage using 89 octane, on the highway at 60mph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts