Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Shadow enthusiasts!
I've been reading a number of posts on this site, and it looks like a real good group of folks here.
So.... after 31 years, I finally have a ride again. I bought an '07 Spirit VT750C2. Wow, sure is different from the CB750 I had. The ride and stability are very good, the engine is very responsive, and the shaft drive is quiet, but gives a different "feel" to the drive train.
I notice that the bike, when running at 55-60, has very different vibrations compared to the old CB750. It seems more of a "buzz" rather than the "humm" of the older bike. I assume this is the V-twin engine? Also, I keep looking for a 6th gear. It seems the engine turns more revs in 5th.

Thanks for letting me share!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Jim,

First off...welcome to the forum!!! And congrats on the purchase.

The Spirit 750 (and really all the 750s) are geared a bit low for highway riding. I believe the stock rear sprocket is a 42 tooth one. People have changed these out for a 37 or 38 tooth one to lower the rpms at highway speeds.

The change out is pretty straight forward but you will need to be able to remove the rear tire and cut the stock chain. You will need to take 2 links out of the stock chain and install a master link to hold them back together. You may also want to pick up new lock brackets for the rear sprocket. These are small pieces of metal that you fold up to touch the bolt head. This holds the bolt in place. You can usually reuse the old ones, but if you break off one of the tabs, you will need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome and happy ridding. Two things to remember around here 1) keep the rubber side to the road. New members i.e. ridders are easy to come by but hard to keep as they keep falling of the damb things and getting hurt, we like to keep that to a minimum around here.

2)Pictures, pictures, pictures, did I say pictures. We want to see you and your ride. We are vouyeristic around here, if you go on a ride on some awesome roads, take pics. If you buy new toys to add to your ride, take pics.

3)Enjoy the ride, have fun, be happy but most of all be safe...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Hey Jim,

The Spirit 750 (and really all the 750s) are geared a bit low for highway riding. I believe the stock rear sprocket is a 42 tooth one. People have changed these out for a 37 or 38 tooth one to lower the rpms at highway speeds.

The change out is pretty straight forward but you will need to be able to remove the rear tire and cut the stock chain. You will need to take 2 links out of the stock chain and install a master link to hold them back together. You may also want to pick up new lock brackets for the rear sprocket. These are small pieces of metal that you fold up to touch the bolt head. This holds the bolt in place. You can usually reuse the old ones, but if you break off one of the tabs, you will need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Joe
welcome to the forum :wink: :)

Joe........ some good info you shared there... but the bike he has is a C2 it has a shaft

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
droy said:
Spirit_1100 said:
Hey Jim,

Hope this helps.

Joe
welcome to the forum :wink: :)

Joe........ some good info you shared there... but the bike he has is a C2 it has a shaft
AAAAHHHH...Yeah...so...he is screwed. :D Sorry Jim.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome, good choice. I have one too and love it. No matter what bike you get you'll always hunt for 6th. You turn 3400 rpm's at 60 mph. You'll get used to it. You can run at 80 mph all day and the Honda won't complain.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:

AAAAHHHH...Yeah...so...he is screwed. :D Sorry Jim.
I can't help it, that's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. Reminds me of when I asked if anyone thought an 1100 Spirit rear wheel would work on my 750 DC. Nice to know someone else can make that mistake on occasion.

As far as the C2 gearing goes, I agree with others in that it's not really an issue. The engine is still a water cooled OHC, and will handle the highway speeds just fine. It just takes a little while to get used to it.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
RbrtAWhyt said:
Someone's an Aerosmith fan...
Yeah, I noticed... Me too... I say this to the back to ridin again after 30 years.... "Welcome back Kotter!"

There ya go, I dated myself...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts