Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 Honda Shadow vt600c

When I start the bike, it almost never starts on the first try. And usually when it does it will sputter out. It's usually about 95 or so degrees outside, I don't know if that matters.

Then I put it in first and begin releasing the clutch and giving it fuel and either it goes, but very hesitantly, or it seems to not get much fuel and can either sputter a bit or it just WONT go. (Sometimes it just stalls out altogether.) So I turn the throttle more and it will sputter, then TAKE OFF as if it finally got fuel. It does this mostly in first gear, sometimes in second, very rarely in third, and not at all in high speeds.

It's been having this problem since day one, so I cleaned the carb, checked the idle, air/fuel mixture, poured seafoam in the tank, spark plugs and that seemed t600o fix it. Then I let it sit overnight and the problem has returned. I am not a mechanic by far and I've got a bit of help from my friend who is pretty knowledgeable. He's going to work on it next week for me (and give it a pretty little paint job) and I was wondering what you'd suggest I do and what you feel the problem could be so I could have him check those things out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is this only when you first start the bike and if so are you using the choke. My 2000 VLX was the same way if I didn't use the choke. It was very cold blooded had to use the choke even when it was 95 outside. (and no it doesn't have a fuel pump) Do you have the manual if you don't you can download it for free in the general discussions sticky.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Is this only when you first start the bike and if so are you using the choke...
This would be my first question, too. It seems the obvious place to start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this only when you first start the bike and if so are you using the choke. My 2000 VLX was the same way if I didn't use the choke. It was very cold blooded had to use the choke even when it was 95 outside. (and no it doesn't have a fuel pump) Do you have the manual if you don't you can download it for free in the general discussions sticky.QUOTE]

I do use the choke when starting it, but it doesn't matter how long i've been riding, it still sputters. I have a manual already already, I am just not sure where to go from here, lol.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
With the Seafoam thing, you have to use it for a while to cycle out the residue. In fact, the gunk that Seafoam initially unloosens up will cause it's own temporary problems.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I'll say this about seafoam, when my wife had her 02 spirit, it developed a just off idle throttle hesitation. Other wise the bike ran great. Ran a couple tanks of gas w/ seafoam though it, got a lil better but still there. Winter came and storage for the next 5 months. In the spring when I fired it up, the issue was gone. Guess the seafoam sat in the carbs and took care of the problem. So now, when I store the bikes for the winter, seafoam goes in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I've done some work to it, and here's what I've got so far...

• Took off the tank and cleaned out the rust.
• Cleaned out the carburetor
• Replaced the fuel filter
• Ran seafoam through a full tank

There is no fuel pump... I am running out of ideas on what the problem could be. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only thing I could think of is a weak spark. BUT......... That doesnt seem to happen much on these bikes.

That and jetting. Do you have aftermarket pipes on it? If so the change in back pressure will make it hard to idle. As in its flooding out/not getting enough air.

Do a quick smell of the exhaust and see if you can tell. Or put your hand in front of it. if your hand gets wet or you can hear it backfire. Should be your issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have great luck running Chevron Techron in the tank every now and then. Valves get coated with deposits, and usually one or two tanks will clean them up pretty good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.