·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Not interested.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will never be a nationwide law. There is a move to end it in California.
I know, and isn't there a move to make helmets required for everyone? I guess I won't care about that when it happens. Actually I will because I do not think it is the government's business.

Other things such as requiring HOV lane use actually mean high occupancy will be on the table as well, especially when electric vehicles begin to dominate?

And the push in various states to overcome the national 75 MPH maximum speed limit.

Two things have happened on my new bike that had never happened before. I was sitting in traffic instead of filtering and there was a rear-end collision behind me that almost pushed the trailing car into me. Never a concern if I were filtering through. I appreciate the option and making it legal everywhere does not make it a requirement.

Another was a comment from a chick leaving a lickher store, "That's a nice frickin bike!"

Anyway, I promote filtering and lane sharing, no helmet laws, and a return to limitless speed laws, as well as relaxing the ban on exhaust modifications.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What's "LImitless speed laws"??? I'm not sure I understand that.
I signed the petition as I think lane splitting..done responsibly and properly could def. help. It's not something I would do while riding on highways at high speed, go between two cars, but at a light where I can sneak to the front ligally and boot off, totally up for it.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Join the MRO of your choice...
ABATE of GA is mine, I support MRF & AMA also...

Legislation sessions are about to be in full swing, come January...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
My advice is DO NOT sign anything without knowledge of what You`re signing...

We have enough problems arising...

KNOW what you`re signing!

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Now if there was a petition to bring back the 60's without the Vietnam war.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's "LImitless speed laws"???
Surely you remember "The National Maximum Speed Law (NMSL) in the United States was a provision of the 1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act?"

Before this, many highways did not have posted speed limits and there generally were no national or state wide speed limits. Signage may have said to drive at a responsible speed, but that was undefined. Of course you had to face the discretion of local law enforcement, but I do not believe this kind of enforcement was considered a source of revenue as it is now.

Didn't Idaho recently raise the upper limit to 80 in some highways, and other states considering 85 now? I'd rather be able to lane share, personally. But that does not mean at 70 MPH, I think there should be reasonable guidelines if we are not going to demand personal responsibility or accountability anymore...

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Now if there was a petition to bring back the 60's without the Vietnam war.
Must be channeling you.. I've had Simon and Garfunkel songs looping around in my brain-box all day long :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've been to California one time and the traffic was the worst I have ever experienced. I came very close to taking out a guy on his bike as he came flying past me between the lanes. Cars change lanes in the blink of an eye out there. I thought it was extremely unsafe for both the driver of the car and the biker. I am not in favor of this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm in.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been to California one time and the traffic was the worst I have ever experienced. I came very close to taking out a guy on his bike as he came flying past me between the lanes. Cars change lanes in the blink of an eye out there. I thought it was extremely unsafe for both the driver of the car and the biker. I am not in favor of this.
I agree, there are a lot of folks that drive dangerously. The guideline quoted by a CHP was no more than 30 MPH. I do not like the bikers that whip between cars at high speed either, but that bad example should not be the deciding factor.

Even with the bad examples as part of the pool, the data supports the position that allowing lane sharing is safer for both motorcyclists and passenger vehicles. Why would anyone not be in favor of safety?

I wish more people would ride a motorcycle. Safety in numbers.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
To each his/her own I guess. That being said, I can't conceive how lane splitting could be 'safe'? That concept just escapes me.

First, why be in such a hurry, eat a Xanax and wait your turn like everyone has to do.:mrgreen: Why does anyone expect special treatment simply because they happen to be on two wheels? Maybe the guy sitting in the car you just snuck by is just as pissed about sitting in traffic as you were. The fact a few bikes get by traffic would really have zero effect on traffic flow IMO.

Second, what happens if/when someone happens to open their door as you're cruising by? Don't know the law but say they're at fault, who cares you chance being severely injured or dead. Guess a family member could sue but where's the consolation in that? You're still injured or dead... But hey, you got there first!

I do agree with if it's legal, knock yourself out. Same with helmet laws, if you don't want to wear one you shouldn't be forced to do so. It's your body/head, you should be free to do with it whatever you choose as long as that choice doesn't endanger others.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyway, I promote filtering and lane sharing, no helmet laws, and a return to limitless speed laws...
And astronomical insurance for all!

I'm all about freedom, but it kinda seems like the costs piled up by those who feel like you would get spread out to the rest of us, and that's not my idea of freedom.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't mean nothing by this but just because I'm fat don't mean it want to be a double stuff. That's like trying to make Mary Jane legal nationwide. No one works now they won't then either. Nice ideas bad after math

1 - 20 of 38 Posts