Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who know me will know of my deep and abiding loathing for all things 'T' shaped when it comes to batteries in general and Honda Shadow batteries in particular. Over the years I haven't had a lot of luck with them and the latest purchase ran shy of electrolyte over last winter causing me to exclaim "***** it" to no-one in particular and consequently I lashed out on a Motobatt.

I haven't started either bike in the last 2 weeks. I went into the garage this afternoon, turned their respective keys and 'BAM', we were up and running.

The old T battery was on the shelf.

Fast backwards to Friday evening. Hot Cold Ground (the band who played the UK's Honda Shadow Owner's Club End of Season Rally this year) were playing the Walnut Tree Shades in town. VT Fred and Fi came over to ours for dinner and off we went in my car to see the band.

We met Doorman and Razz from the HSOCUK Norwich Contingent there as well and had a jolly spiffing evening. We got home, Fred and Fi left in their car and we went to bed.

Unbeknown to me *someone* who shall remain nameless shut the rear nearside passenger door on the seatbelt so the door wasn't properly shut and the interior light was still on.

Yesterday Sadie went off to see her beery chums at Reedham. She was helping out and stayed over. I was home alone so just kinda slobbed out and did nothing much in particular except listen to music and watch TV.

This afternoon I wanted to put some stuff back in the car. I pushed the button on the key fob but nothing happened. The fob light was working but I figured perhaps the fob battery was low and so got the spare one and tried that. Nothing.

I unlocked the driver's door with the key and saw the interior light flickering. The battery was flat as a pancake and didn't have enough juice left to turn the engine.

I have two chargers. One has the 'pigtail' connector and is used for the Shadow. The other has the male cigarette-type end on it and was used on the Magna until I took the female connector off.

The female connector was fastened to the T battery which was sitting on the shelf although not at that time hooked up to the charger. I disconnected the female connector, took it outside and tried to connect it directly to the battery but couldn't because the connectors weren't big enough.

I got an extension lead, connected up the battery charger, plugged it into the female extension and crocodile clipped jump leads to the connector ends.

I turned on the plug at the mains and was rewarded with a dim red glow on the charger where it should have gone to red and amber. I jiggled the croc clips about a bit and got a charge for a short time but obviously I wasn't getting an acceptable connection.

Time was pressing, it was getting to dusk and I still had a flat battery. With nothing to lose I disconnected the charger and went into the garage and got the 'T' battery.

I hooked up the crocs and turned the key. The ignition light was bright so I turned it some more and ***** me sideways she started! Unbelievable!

The T battery wouldn't start my Shadow in the midst of winter when it has been standing for a short time but it did start my car (Toyota Avensis 1800 estate).

So it was off with the jump leads, and, while she was still running, off for a blast around the Norwich Southern Bypass to get some charge back.

I now know that when my speedo in the Avensis reads 95 she's actually doing 90 (checked it with the GPS on my phone) and the fuel consumption is ****e!

End result - no more bitching about T batteries by me because today it saved my bacon!

I'm still never fitting another one on the bike, though!

Collector

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What do you mean when you say T battery?
The shadow is a V twin and has a lot of compression so it is probably harder to turn over than your Toyota.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,665 Posts
Sitting on a shelf IS the best place for a T battery. Now if only a Toyota battery could fit on a Shadow!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts