Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this advice from someone who has" juiced up " their 750 ace. Just wondering of someone here has the same " quick and easy " advice for 1100 Areo ??

"I ride a 2003 Deluxe Candy Orange Motif, last year of the ACE, & love it. It's perfect for my size, with lotsa poop! Cruising 85 mph. is nothin'. What you need to know is, they are all set lean at the factory, for mileage, emissions etc. They don't perform well out of the box. I added Cobra Low Boys, removed the baffles, added a K&N filter, and removed the air box filter. I re-jetted to stage 3, with 134 & 138 jets, and with needles on the third notch. In addition, did the 4-degree advance mod, and replaced the clutch springs. WHAT A DFFERNCE!!! It's like adding 150 cc's to the engine! All I did was, FREE UP the engine to run normal. Each gear is longer, @ 85 mph I shift to fifth. Bottom end torque, mid range, and top end, all improved immensely "

Thanks !

doggie

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You've already done everything you can and more than most people.

The only way to get more hp out of a shadow is to replace the engine with one made for high hp, the shadow v-twin was not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
doggie62 said:
I found this advice from someone who has" juiced up " their 750 ace. Just wondering of someone here has the same " quick and easy " advice for 1100 Areo ??

"I ride a 2003 Deluxe Candy Orange Motif, last year of the ACE, & love it. It's perfect for my size, with lotsa poop! Cruising 85 mph. is nothin'. What you need to know is, they are all set lean at the factory, for mileage, emissions etc. They don't perform well out of the box. I added Cobra Low Boys, removed the baffles, added a K&N filter, and removed the air box filter. I re-jetted to stage 3, with 134 & 138 jets, and with needles on the third notch. In addition, did the 4-degree advance mod, and replaced the clutch springs. WHAT A DFFERNCE!!! It's like adding 150 cc's to the engine! All I did was, FREE UP the engine to run normal. Each gear is longer, @ 85 mph I shift to fifth. Bottom end torque, mid range, and top end, all improved immensely "

Thanks !

doggie
doggie62,

This is just a friendly piece of advice, if you want more performance, buy a higher performance machine, you'll have something that has some value to it when you are done with it.

Back in the day, we used to swap motors, rearends, transmissions and tires. We didn't have a lot of money, but we did have a lot of ambition and time. We could make a Rambler run like a Corvette. At the time, it all seemed like a lot of fun, but, you couldn't sell one of those to anyone unless they specifically wanted to buy your hotrod.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You have to take any advise including including mine with a grain of salt. If he is not shifting into 5th on a 750 until 85MPH then his engine is not long for this world. I'm also of the opinion that if you have enough time to tinker with the bike to get it right then you can go ahead and put on some pipes, rejet and open up the air box for improved flow and power. As for me if I want more power then I'd go get a bigger bike as I just don't have the desire or time to spare.

·
Registered
628 Posts
thunderglass said:
...If he is not shifting into 5th on a 750 until 85MPH then his engine is not long for this world.
Not necessarily... The 750 Shadows are meant to turn higher rpm's than most people run them at. The engines have rev limiters that prevent them from reaching a harmful rpm such that the valves float, etc. If he's screaming down the highway at 85mph in fourth gear hour after hour, then yeah, it probably isn't doing any good. OTOH, if he's just accelerating, and shifting into fifth at 85, nothing wrong with that. (unless he gets stopped for speeding...:))

...As for me if I want more power then I'd go get a bigger bike as I just don't have the desire or time to spare.
I agree...

Also, people would have you believe that they get tremendous performance improvements by tinkering.. Opening the intake, rejetting, aftermarket exhaust, etc. In reality, the most you'll gain is about 10%, and that's if you get it all right. Many people actually lose power, but because the bike is louder, they *think* it's faster. Now you CAN get your bike to run BETTER with a rejet (less stumbling and less popping), and maybe make it sound better with new pipes, but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

This sounds more like a quote from a motorcycle owner than a motorcyclist.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Steve157 said:

:roll: Call me what you will. I love tinkering with my bike. I have owned my bike for over three years. I have rejetted several times, messed with intakes/exhaust, changed the gearing, done ALL my own maintenance, including valve adjustments and changing out tires. My point was that for all the $$$ and effort it takes to try & get more power, the result is really not that much more power than stock. If more power is really what you're after, the $$$ may well be better spent on a more powerful bike.

What have YOUR results been, Steve?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Shifting into fifth at 85MPH isn't anything special, All i've done was pipes and rejet and if you push it, shifting into fifth at that speed isn't that hard at all.

As others said, best way to get more power from a v-twin, is to go bigger.

·
Registered
209 Posts
shroomhead said:
Steve157 said:

:roll: Call me what you will. I love tinkering with my bike. I have owned my bike for over three years. I have rejetted several times, messed with intakes/exhaust, changed the gearing, done ALL my own maintenance, including valve adjustments and changing out tires. My point was that for all the $$$ and effort it takes to try & get more power, the result is really not that much more power than stock. If more power is really what you're after, the $$$ may well be better spent on a more powerful bike.

What have YOUR results been, Steve?
shroomhead,

I am solidly in your camp! Aftermarket HP is very costly and I believe it usually degrades the value of your bike, unless....you can locate that select person that thinks your work is better than Hondas and is willing to take the chance of repair bills that will probably be prohibitive unless they're doing their own work.

These things aren't to be confused with cosmetics and acoustics. That's a different game.

Some things can be improved, like lighting, seats, instrumentation and creature comforts. These things add to the value and are readily noticeable.

However, I seriously doubt that an average rider could tell the difference (without another machine to compare to) between a motorcycle with 55 hp and one with 62 HP.

I would never discourage anyone from doing engine mods if they are doing them for the right reasons. Some people love to tinker, I did when I was young. I can understand, or sympathize with them, whichever the case may be. I certainly learned a lot from those experiments, and they definitely wern't all successful!

But the one lesson I learned is that I can buy HP cheaper and easier than I can make it!

John

John

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am a tinkerer, it's in my blood. I plan to modify my stock exhaust and find out just what it's limits are. Also I plan to do the timing advance thing and probably rejet. When that's done I don't expect to see a huge increase in performance, because with stock cams and compression it just aint gonna happen. If I wanted a high horsepower, high revving bike I wouldn't have bought a shadow. I bought the shadow because I really like the look and I like the low end grunt of the v-twin. I like running 40 MPH in 5th gear without hurting anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
timing mod....?

I've read about this 4 degree timing mod. does it really make a difference?? ive jetted and got pipes. i rider everyday year round. i count on my bike for transportation, so i dont want to do something that could have a negative effect on it. yes, i like to tinker but thinking i need a old beater for tinkering. :cool:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Back in the day, we used to swap motors, rearends, transmissions and tires. We didn't have a lot of money, but we did have a lot of ambition and time. We could make a Rambler run like a Corvette. At the time, it all seemed like a lot of fun, but, you couldn't sell one of those to anyone unless they specifically wanted to buy your hotrod.
Man, does that sound familiar.....

All of these listed "mod's will improve power. Although, I have never seen a stage 3 jet kit for ANY Shadows. I'm not saying it aint there, just I'd like to see it "listed" for sale, somewhere.

4 degree timing mod can be done 2 ways. Only 1 way still available, that is slotting the "pick-up" bracket's for about 4 degrees worth of "move it to new location". The former way was to purchase the plate on crank (that had the key offset the 4 degrees you wanted to gain). These were discounted out a long time ago, apparently.

I have thought about taking mine off, and having a shop with laser, cut me a new one with the "changes" I want. Then I will have a new one to try, and my old one if I don't/want it back to normal. AND, I wont be slotting the brackets...then guessing where they should be if I want to go back to stock setting. THAT'S JUST ME, I'm not saying I wouldn't slot it..I just got a better idea, and a friend with laser.

·
Registered
471 Posts

You mean this thing? Yeah got two more of these but they only work on the 88-96 Shadow Models because they have two ignition pulse generators. Two Bros blew them out over a decade ago.

But if you want HUGE increases you will have to make drastic mods. Denny Berg used 1986 VT1100 cams in one of the ACEs he did for Cobra--the bike did have to be retimed. I think he used regular VT1100C pistons for a little extra compression as well. I'd have to find the Cycle World mag that has all that stuff and scan it. But like these guys were saying, if you want massive horsepower and torque, you may want to look at a different line of bikes--like a Star V-Max.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
95acerider,

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about. You have 2 of them? I would possibly buy one if it's for sale...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I disagree with the statement that re-jetting and new pipes are not that noticeable. I have a 90 and ex gf has 95, we got a ticket for going over 100 on the hwy. so we ride them. She had hers re-jetted with pipes added and it is certainly quicker then mine. Must be the reason shes is gone.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Exactly!

You've heard the saying, there's no replacement for displacement? There's a reason for that. You'll only squeeze so much out of that small motor w/o major work. Even then, the cost wouldn't be worth the reward. However, it's your bike and your money, have at it.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
6 yr old thread:roll:,,never have understood why old threads get resurrected, why not after your search, link the old thread in a new thread about problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
6 yr old thread:roll:,,never have understood why old threads get resurrected, why not after your search, link the old thread in a new thread about problems.
more brainz...

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you want serious power, get an inline 4 or 3 sport bike. You get 125 eyeball-flattening horsepower out of a 600 i4 vs 50 hp out of an 1100 v twin. If you really gotta have a v twin and you want power, get a Ducati, Suzuki sv1000 or TL1000 or a Honda superhawk or rc51. All of them are v twin and make over 100 ponies stock. If you just need all that power in a heavy pig of a bike that handles like a shopping cart, theres always Yamaha vmax or Honda v65 magna.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts