Honda Shadow Forums banner

Increase HP ???

51K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  RONW 
#1 ·
I found this advice from someone who has" juiced up " their 750 ace. Just wondering of someone here has the same " quick and easy " advice for 1100 Areo ??

"I ride a 2003 Deluxe Candy Orange Motif, last year of the ACE, & love it. It's perfect for my size, with lotsa poop! Cruising 85 mph. is nothin'. What you need to know is, they are all set lean at the factory, for mileage, emissions etc. They don't perform well out of the box. I added Cobra Low Boys, removed the baffles, added a K&N filter, and removed the air box filter. I re-jetted to stage 3, with 134 & 138 jets, and with needles on the third notch. In addition, did the 4-degree advance mod, and replaced the clutch springs. WHAT A DFFERNCE!!! It's like adding 150 cc's to the engine! All I did was, FREE UP the engine to run normal. Each gear is longer, @ 85 mph I shift to fifth. Bottom end torque, mid range, and top end, all improved immensely "

Thanks !

doggie

#3 ·
doggie62 said:
I found this advice from someone who has" juiced up " their 750 ace. Just wondering of someone here has the same " quick and easy " advice for 1100 Areo ??

"I ride a 2003 Deluxe Candy Orange Motif, last year of the ACE, & love it. It's perfect for my size, with lotsa poop! Cruising 85 mph. is nothin'. What you need to know is, they are all set lean at the factory, for mileage, emissions etc. They don't perform well out of the box. I added Cobra Low Boys, removed the baffles, added a K&N filter, and removed the air box filter. I re-jetted to stage 3, with 134 & 138 jets, and with needles on the third notch. In addition, did the 4-degree advance mod, and replaced the clutch springs. WHAT A DFFERNCE!!! It's like adding 150 cc's to the engine! All I did was, FREE UP the engine to run normal. Each gear is longer, @ 85 mph I shift to fifth. Bottom end torque, mid range, and top end, all improved immensely "

Thanks !

doggie
doggie62,

This is just a friendly piece of advice, if you want more performance, buy a higher performance machine, you'll have something that has some value to it when you are done with it.

Back in the day, we used to swap motors, rearends, transmissions and tires. We didn't have a lot of money, but we did have a lot of ambition and time. We could make a Rambler run like a Corvette. At the time, it all seemed like a lot of fun, but, you couldn't sell one of those to anyone unless they specifically wanted to buy your hotrod.

#4 ·
You have to take any advise including including mine with a grain of salt. If he is not shifting into 5th on a 750 until 85MPH then his engine is not long for this world. I'm also of the opinion that if you have enough time to tinker with the bike to get it right then you can go ahead and put on some pipes, rejet and open up the air box for improved flow and power. As for me if I want more power then I'd go get a bigger bike as I just don't have the desire or time to spare.

#5 ·
thunderglass said:
...If he is not shifting into 5th on a 750 until 85MPH then his engine is not long for this world.
Not necessarily... The 750 Shadows are meant to turn higher rpm's than most people run them at. The engines have rev limiters that prevent them from reaching a harmful rpm such that the valves float, etc. If he's screaming down the highway at 85mph in fourth gear hour after hour, then yeah, it probably isn't doing any good. OTOH, if he's just accelerating, and shifting into fifth at 85, nothing wrong with that. (unless he gets stopped for speeding...:))

...As for me if I want more power then I'd go get a bigger bike as I just don't have the desire or time to spare.
I agree...

Also, people would have you believe that they get tremendous performance improvements by tinkering.. Opening the intake, rejetting, aftermarket exhaust, etc. In reality, the most you'll gain is about 10%, and that's if you get it all right. Many people actually lose power, but because the bike is louder, they *think* it's faster. Now you CAN get your bike to run BETTER with a rejet (less stumbling and less popping), and maybe make it sound better with new pipes, but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

#7 ·
Steve157 said:
but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

This sounds more like a quote from a motorcycle owner than a motorcyclist.
:roll: Call me what you will. I love tinkering with my bike. I have owned my bike for over three years. I have rejetted several times, messed with intakes/exhaust, changed the gearing, done ALL my own maintenance, including valve adjustments and changing out tires. My point was that for all the $$$ and effort it takes to try & get more power, the result is really not that much more power than stock. If more power is really what you're after, the $$$ may well be better spent on a more powerful bike.

What have YOUR results been, Steve?

#9 ·
shroomhead said:
Steve157 said:
but if you really want a more powerful bike, go buy one.

This sounds more like a quote from a motorcycle owner than a motorcyclist.
:roll: Call me what you will. I love tinkering with my bike. I have owned my bike for over three years. I have rejetted several times, messed with intakes/exhaust, changed the gearing, done ALL my own maintenance, including valve adjustments and changing out tires. My point was that for all the $$$ and effort it takes to try & get more power, the result is really not that much more power than stock. If more power is really what you're after, the $$$ may well be better spent on a more powerful bike.

What have YOUR results been, Steve?
shroomhead,

I am solidly in your camp! Aftermarket HP is very costly and I believe it usually degrades the value of your bike, unless....you can locate that select person that thinks your work is better than Hondas and is willing to take the chance of repair bills that will probably be prohibitive unless they're doing their own work.

These things aren't to be confused with cosmetics and acoustics. That's a different game.

Some things can be improved, like lighting, seats, instrumentation and creature comforts. These things add to the value and are readily noticeable.

However, I seriously doubt that an average rider could tell the difference (without another machine to compare to) between a motorcycle with 55 hp and one with 62 HP.

I would never discourage anyone from doing engine mods if they are doing them for the right reasons. Some people love to tinker, I did when I was young. I can understand, or sympathize with them, whichever the case may be. I certainly learned a lot from those experiments, and they definitely wern't all successful!

But the one lesson I learned is that I can buy HP cheaper and easier than I can make it!

John

John

#10 ·
I am a tinkerer, it's in my blood. I plan to modify my stock exhaust and find out just what it's limits are. Also I plan to do the timing advance thing and probably rejet. When that's done I don't expect to see a huge increase in performance, because with stock cams and compression it just aint gonna happen. If I wanted a high horsepower, high revving bike I wouldn't have bought a shadow. I bought the shadow because I really like the look and I like the low end grunt of the v-twin. I like running 40 MPH in 5th gear without hurting anything.

#11 ·
timing mod....?

I've read about this 4 degree timing mod. does it really make a difference?? ive jetted and got pipes. i rider everyday year round. i count on my bike for transportation, so i dont want to do something that could have a negative effect on it. yes, i like to tinker but thinking i need a old beater for tinkering. :cool:

#12 ·
Back in the day, we used to swap motors, rearends, transmissions and tires. We didn't have a lot of money, but we did have a lot of ambition and time. We could make a Rambler run like a Corvette. At the time, it all seemed like a lot of fun, but, you couldn't sell one of those to anyone unless they specifically wanted to buy your hotrod.
Man, does that sound familiar.....

All of these listed "mod's will improve power. Although, I have never seen a stage 3 jet kit for ANY Shadows. I'm not saying it aint there, just I'd like to see it "listed" for sale, somewhere.

4 degree timing mod can be done 2 ways. Only 1 way still available, that is slotting the "pick-up" bracket's for about 4 degrees worth of "move it to new location". The former way was to purchase the plate on crank (that had the key offset the 4 degrees you wanted to gain). These were discounted out a long time ago, apparently.

I have thought about taking mine off, and having a shop with laser, cut me a new one with the "changes" I want. Then I will have a new one to try, and my old one if I don't/want it back to normal. AND, I wont be slotting the brackets...then guessing where they should be if I want to go back to stock setting. THAT'S JUST ME, I'm not saying I wouldn't slot it..I just got a better idea, and a friend with laser.

#13 ·

You mean this thing? Yeah got two more of these but they only work on the 88-96 Shadow Models because they have two ignition pulse generators. Two Bros blew them out over a decade ago.

But if you want HUGE increases you will have to make drastic mods. Denny Berg used 1986 VT1100 cams in one of the ACEs he did for Cobra--the bike did have to be retimed. I think he used regular VT1100C pistons for a little extra compression as well. I'd have to find the Cycle World mag that has all that stuff and scan it. But like these guys were saying, if you want massive horsepower and torque, you may want to look at a different line of bikes--like a Star V-Max.

#14 ·
95acerider,

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about. You have 2 of them? I would possibly buy one if it's for sale...

#15 ·
I disagree with the statement that re-jetting and new pipes are not that noticeable. I have a 90 and ex gf has 95, we got a ticket for going over 100 on the hwy. so we ride them. She had hers re-jetted with pipes added and it is certainly quicker then mine. Must be the reason shes is gone.

#20 ·
If you want serious power, get an inline 4 or 3 sport bike. You get 125 eyeball-flattening horsepower out of a 600 i4 vs 50 hp out of an 1100 v twin. If you really gotta have a v twin and you want power, get a Ducati, Suzuki sv1000 or TL1000 or a Honda superhawk or rc51. All of them are v twin and make over 100 ponies stock. If you just need all that power in a heavy pig of a bike that handles like a shopping cart, theres always Yamaha vmax or Honda v65 magna.

#22 ·
The Shadows may gave enough power as a bike but try tricking them! We have a 2005 Shadow Sabre VT1100 w/ a Motortrike conversion and w/ a little wind against us we can only run 73 or so wide open at about 23 MPG. With all the ways to soup up Harley and other brands of motorcycle engines you'd think there would be a way to do the same w/ the 1100. Although changing cam and other mods would cost a lot it still seems like it would be cheaper than buying a Goldwing or bigger bike.

#24 ·
Does it run better cold? sounds like it is running to rich and when running rich it will perform better cold as as it warms is gets "soggy" performance and will likely foul the plugs

I have been playing with carbs lately and the difference in performance can be huge if its not running right, the right jetting can add quite a lot to top speed, even with the extra weight of the trike gear dropping a gear the bike should get you more than 75mph

Pull a plug and look at the colour :)

Are you running the 3 rear wheel version (std drive wheel) or a replacement diff ?

#23 ·
Talking to a guy a few months ago who is quite famous for modding motorcycles to increase performance - he's a real good, nice guy, and been written up in magazines etc..

So there I was, talking to him about upgrades to my bike which could increase HP or Torque.. His response.. "Best Not".. Especially as high as the 10% as I had queried regarding an upgrade I was interested in..

The problem with increasing the ability of an engine to perform as it wasn't intended, is stress on the mechanical parts and the engine design overall..

Parts will wear faster, or stresses on members which were never intended to take that amount of force and stress can fissure and break..

That's especially true of newer engines as - these days - most engines are deigned and tested using computers. Computers run simulations for wear and stress etc..

These computers also calculate and call for certain materials to accomplish the jobs requested of them and engines - cases as well as the parts for engines - are built to exact specs which other computers mill to perfection.. Basically, engines these days are built to handle just that which will get the job done, and not much more..

If you stray into "that much more" you can do harm to whatever wasn't designed to take those kinds of stresses.

Just something for the mind to munch on.

#28 ·
agreed, start a new thread. For one, every thread has it's subthreads so a new thread would spare reading through them tangents. This particular ancient thread stayed on topic for the most part, but that's not the typical trend.

Anyways, if the newer OP was after more power, maybe it would be easier starting off with a Magna V4. Triked or nought. These had something like 80+ hp straight from the factory. There's a huge difference between a VF 750 and a VT 750, same displacement, but a V4 versus a V2.

#29 ·
tabula rasa vs the hive mind...
its yours. and you are who you are. wanting to get the most you possibly can get out of your machine is admirable. ive put a 98 engine in my 96 frame. i am currently re-assembling that engine with mods that are very impractical, ie., 85 pistons and cams to regain the hp stolen by honda; 02 barrels; 07 heads; adjustable dyna ignition... maybe it will not run? maybe it will run like doo doo? maybe it will haulazz? for the money i could have purchased an indian, a harley, a vtx1800... whatever it does, its mine... all mine. the tabula rasa will become my art. i guess its a pretty old school mentality, however its the age i came from. now, some folks like to buy a bike ad ride it and that is also very cool. it makes sense. your desire to kick up your 750 does not make much common sense. my desire to keep working over my old 96 is downright impractical.
go figger, and cheers. there is no wrong way as long as you are content. its just a motorcycle, enjoy it in every way possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.