Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave the Idian's a look over in the weekend, some things I liked... some not so much

I noted that they have the HP listed for the scout but not for there 111 engines... just torque for those (113) so I started searching for Actual dyno results and I haven't found much

Indian Chief Thunder Stroke 111 Dyno Chart - Motorcycle USA

I would have thought you would get more from it than that?

or was that a dud test?

I do like the scout but if I owned one the exhaust would get changed.... and I dont like the fact it kill engine power when you brake......

I will stick with my old 1100 for a good while yet

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
I had my eyes on one in the parking lot, it had Vintage front fender badge..
I hadn`t seen these before?
But then again I haven`t graced the Indian dealership in years with my presence...
I ain`t got no money for a new motorbike no how;)

I like drooling though...
Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Wouldn't that amount of torque driving even that team of horses at low RPMs = a comparative Rocket Ship for a cruiser-type package?

Don't know.. Asking.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reson I like to look at horse power and torque is the ability to maintain passing power/acceleration as the revs get up

there torque is great but HP s down on other 1800 V twins indicating it might be quite flat as the revs get up.... You could pop it up a gear but I am used to winding it out a bit

the scout revs/talk is at quite high rpm so not exactly cruiser style.... But I guess it would go alright... the Demo bike got dropped by a reporter and had no rear brakes as a result so I didn't get to try :(

Wasn't really looking but the last couple of rides has had some in the group so got me looking at them :)

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,462 Posts
I assume this is rear wheel power output?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The big Indian twins I test rode were really underwhelming in the acceleration category, as was the Cross Country, frankly. Granted, I'm coming from a VTX1800 but still, just didn't wow me. Seemed like it was reluctant to accelerate. I too was surprised there are no horsepower figures to be found.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I think you guys are forgetting these are big, long haul baggers....not sport bikes. They aren't built to be rockets off the line. With that said, I know the Vic's need a little help in the off the line category as they come very lean from the factory. For about $180, you can get an adjustable timing wheel and a 1/4 turn throttle ring. Just that along will allow you to dust about anything off the line, but a crotch rocket.

I've picked up the front wheel of my 800 lb XC in first, second and third gear. That is more than enough power in my book....at least, I don't need more.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
I think you guys are forgetting these are big, long haul baggers....not sport bikes. They aren't built to be rockets off the line. With that said, I know the Vic's need a little help in the off the line category as they come very lean from the factory. For about $180, you can get an adjustable timing wheel and a 1/4 turn throttle ring. Just that along will allow you to dust about anything off the line, but a crotch rocket.

I've picked up the front wheel of my 800 lb XC in first, second and third gear. That is more than enough power in my book....at least, I don't need more.
Looking at the Multistrada as a Swiss Army Scoot.. More sport-tourer than anything tho.. That thing even has wheelie control..

Would that bike with wheelie control turned on, be faster off the line, than Your Scoot with a much heavier chassis and front end.

Hmmm...

So, yeah.. How fast do we need a cruiser to be? In reality, I would rather just have great passing power at higher speeds than higher speeds off the line..

When a 800lb bike - No - 1200lbs with Theja's Ginormous Ass riding it - when the front end lifts on a 1500lb bike.. That is Probably power enough.. ;)

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
When a 800lb bike - No - 1200lbs with Theja's Ginormous Ass riding it - when the front end lifts on a 1500lb bike.. That is Probably power enough.. ;)
I thought we were keeping that between us.....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The big Indian twins I test rode were really underwhelming in the acceleration category, as was the Cross Country, frankly. Granted, I'm coming from a VTX1800 but still, just didn't wow me. Seemed like it was reluctant to accelerate. I too was surprised there are no horsepower figures to be found.

they should have similar power to your vtx... they do have a slightly larger engine and both are cruiser.

with a little work your VTX has quite a lot more HP (exhaust, K&N, chip)....... but I wonder how the Indian will go with work>

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp63/Hoghead63/VTX/VTX1800CDyno.jpg

the Victory goes quite well with cams and jets.... No drop in lower power but plenty more up top...... Makes you wonder why they dont do it from factory?

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp538%3B2%3Enu%3D3274%3E65%3A%3E5%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D355%3A36%3B2%3B%3A32%3Anu0mrj

I Know its a tourer but I dont know many that if offered more power without any drop in torque would turn it down, usually get better MPG :D

Its not easy finding std Dyno results hence only posting modded results.

·
Registered
405 Posts
they should have similar power to your vtx... they do have a slightly larger engine and both are cruiser.
That's why I was interested to see how they stacked up. I don't know what configuration inside my engine is better, but my 1800 is an absolute rocket, and the 1800 Indian just didn't have much in it, relative to mine. Don't even get me started on the 1800 Street Glide I test rode, that was pathetic.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
We test rode a Chief Classic and liked the bike overall. The bike has a strong visual appeal; and is very comfortable, but the power was indeed underwhelming for us. Perhaps we are a bit spoiled...

We trudge on.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Power and numbers are two metrics you can use to build your opinion.

Riding one is, for me, the better option.

But, to each their own.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Finally saw some #'s from a independent review. The stock XC has, 88 hp and 105 ft-lbs of torque. With spending just under $200, you can get that around 94 hp and 112 ft-lbs of torque (which I'v done...you can tell a difference).

I'm not sure if I'm going to do anymore upgrading, engine wise anyway. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I don't know what configuration inside my engine is better, but my 1800 is an absolute rocket
Why is it that people seem to forget its not JUST an engine? There are 5 gears, a shaft and a rear end in the middle and have a LOT to do with acceleration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts