Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 ACE 750

I'm trying to remove the indicator lights from the top bridge (High beam, turn, neutral). My service manual only tells me to remove them (Big Help). There is no plug, sooooo I don't want to damage the lights or wires. Anyone removed these before that can offer some advise?

Thanks once again guys/gals

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I purchased my bike the turn signal & high beam indicator lights didn't work. I was unable to remove the actual bulbs (same problem as you're having), but I was able to resolve the problem. I removed the indicator lights and the whole harness to take it to the bench to look at and found a couple wires in the harness were broken. A bit of solder and shrink tube and the indicator lights worked perfectly.

If you remove the lens caps from the lights, you can push the bulb & rubber boot down through the bridge... pry the edge of the chrome ring with a knife edge. Then disconnect the harness. The lenses seem to go in only one way... so, you may have to rotate them to get them oriented correctly to re-install.

I tried pulling the boot back, but could not get a good grip on the bulb to do any serious pulling... I don't even know if there's a socket under that bulb or if it's soldered in place.

Sorry I could not help much.

Good luck!
John.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
some models, those dashboard lights don't just pull out from the bottom, you have to remove the lens in that sequence, b4.

On the 600, the lens are sorta glued on and the individual sockets pull out from the bottom to replace bulbs, however there was a zip tie that secured the wire harness to its bracket.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks Ron... the online manual I referenced did not actually show that the bulbs removed (or at least I didn't see it).

My bulbs are fine now, but for future reference... Do you have any tips for actually grabbing hold of the bulb to pull it from inside the boot/socket? The bulb is recessed and it's not easily to grab it to pull it out... I was only able to grasp the very tip and was unable to pull it from the socket.

Thanks,
John.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I don't have a 750, but on the 600, the tip of the bulbs stuck out further from the rubber boots, so it wasn't as much an exercise in futility to remove the bulbs. Again, on the 600 (an '07), the bulbs' wire harness was zip tied to its bracket located on the underside of the top bridge.

Me suggestions in decending order ....
  • Use a plastic tweezer to grip the bulb or a metal tweezer, taped.
  • Use a plier to break the glass envelope, then use a potato to extract the remainder of the bulb.
  • Glue a Q-tip to the tip of the bulb with silicone (heat resistance).
  • Tap out after you've exhausted your resources.

I don't even know if there's a socket under that bulb or if it's soldered in place.
It's a wedge bulb that connects the same way Xmas string lights attach to their sockets. Internet pics, below, shown without the rubber boots ....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm waiting on bolts to come in, hopefully tomorrow. I'll attempt some of the suggestions with fingers crossed not to break anything, covers, bulbs, wires ect.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Ron.

Luckily I was able to remedy my issues without removing the bulbs. Now if I ever need to replace one, I know what to expect and have your suggestions for removing the bulb.

Ride Safely!
John.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Now that would be interesting... if you could find a switch to fit the hole, I'm sure you could reroute the starter switch wiring. Then I expect you would bypass the cut-off switch and replace the throttle cable housing at the handlebar with something with no switches.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me, but then I don't have the imagination for extensive modding. :(

Ride Safely!
John.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
I'm thinking of removing the high beam indicator and replacing it with a starter button in my quest to de clutter my handlebars. Anyone else done this or something similar? Advice/ideas?
What practical reason would this serve other than taking time away from riding. :smile:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had trouble seeing the turn signal indicator light because of the handle bars, and would leave them on sometimes. I swapped the high beam indicator light with the turn signal indicator light. Now I can see the turn signal indicator light, and the handlebar blocks the bright blue high beam indicator light at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had trouble seeing the turn signal indicator light because of the handle bars, and would leave them on sometimes. I swapped the high beam indicator light with the turn signal indicator light.
Wow, great idea. I did this to my 2013. The owners manual and shop manual said these were LEDs, but they turned out to be incandescent. Couldn’t get them out with needle-nose wrapped with tape.
Here’s the trick I used: push down on the rubber boot, bunching it up around the bulb as much as possible. Squeeze tightly around the boot where the bulb is and pull up stretching the rubber. After a couple of pulls, you’ll feel the bulb pull out of the socket. Keep pushing and pulling as the bulb moves up the boot. I then used needle-nosed pliers to pull it out the last 1/2” or so.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Old post but still useful info.

A trick I used in the past for removing bulbs from sockets was to use a 3 to 4" piece of rubber or vinyl tubing. Just push it down onto the bulb and pull it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had trouble seeing the turn signal indicator light because of the handle bars, and would leave them on sometimes. I swapped the high beam indicator light with the turn signal indicator light. Now I can see the turn signal indicator light, and the handlebar blocks the bright blue high beam indicator light at night.
I just bought a used 2000 Shadow Sabre. Your idea is great. Previous owner of mine glued velcro to the stand for the speedo then glued opposit velcro to a 2x2" mirror and you can see the indicator light. Would do your way but the wires are too short to switch them I think.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,423 Posts
I just bought a used 2000 Shadow Sabre. Your idea is great. Previous owner of mine glued velcro to the stand for the speedo then glued opposit velcro to a 2x2" mirror and you can see the indicator light. Would do your way but the wires are too short to switch them I think.
Being old and forgetful, I found myself constantly forgetting to turn off my blinkers. Yes, age does that to a fellow. I would up installing a small LED strip activated by the blinker circuit, and angled it upwards to reflect off my windshield. Now,, even in bright sunlight, and without looking down, I have my version of a 'Heads Up Display'.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
Old and having a chrome headlight housing with ALL indicator lights in it. Used a piezo beeper but it didn't last so I'm back to remembering to look down again. Glad this subject came up as its time to revisit my thoughts/remedies for this annoyance to other vehicles behind me. Garage day!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts