Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one of those ENM tachometers made by Allied for $25 plus shipping and it arrived yesterday. I plan to install it soon, however, I'm somewhat confused. It only has one wire to wrap around the spark plug wire and no ground. I called the manufacturer and they said it doesn't need a ground wire... Anybody out there that has one without a ground wire?

Coach

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
bcccoach said:
I purchased one of those ENM tachometers made by Allied for $25 plus shipping and it arrived yesterday. I plan to install it soon, however, I'm somewhat confused. It only has one wire to wrap around the spark plug wire and no ground. I called the manufacturer and they said it doesn't need a ground wire... Anybody out there that has one without a ground wire?

Coach
It works by induction.
Every time the plug fires, the plug wire will have an electric field around it.
The wire you wrap around the plug acts as a coil and picks up the electric
field every time it is generated. It doesn't need a ground wire.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would love to know how this worked.

I am dying to add a tach to my 2003 vlx dlx, but don't want to fork out 200. I know you get what you pay for but it never hurts to ask about the cheaper product.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I received and installed the tach a few weeks ago. It was about a 10 minute install and so totally simple. I mounted the tach on my handle bars just in front of the speedo. I wrapped the one wire around a spark plug wire and zip tied it on and it works fine. For $25, I'd say its a good deal. My only complaint is the shipping was kind of high--around $6.

Coach

1 - 5 of 5 Posts