Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a whim I picked up some valve stem lights to try out. They are great for night. Make your wheels sparkle at night with LED lights. My wife and I both got them on our bikes. We bought the red/white/blue ones. Almost looks like a cop coming down the road LOL.

Not sure if they are legal or not, but have had them on for two weeks.

Pros
Inexpensive
Easy to install no tools needed
VERY visible at night

Cons
Battery operated so they don't last forever, but being on the bike for 2 weeks still going strong
Takes some adjustment to get the right sensitivity

Here is the site I bought them from.
http://store.tireflysonline.com/vastli.html

They have other stuff that may or may not interest you. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks!

I'm always looking for something to be more visible for my night rides.

Did you have to buy the valve stem adaptor?

Now, hmm, which color, which color. :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Just talked to our local Sheriff department.. they said A-OK here in Forysth County, however mentioned to warn everyone not to use the "blue". Apparently, they like to reserve that color for emergency/police vehicles and might (or might not) stop you for that color.

Of course, that's the color I wanted to get. :(

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I used to have blue led lic tag bolts, never had a problem, but changed them this past summer to red, just match. 8)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have some on my bike but they were on the bike when I bought it and have never worked. Probably just batteries but I haven't looked into it.

FWIW, from my local sheriff's office website:
Flashing lights. The only flashing lights of any kind that are legal on the street are turn signals and appropriate emergency flashers. “Chasers” and other flashing or blinking lights are not legal anywhere on a car – inside or out.

Color of lights. For obvious reasons, it is important for everybody to know immediately if they’re looking at the front or the back of your vehicle. Therefore, red is required for the rear and it must not be visible from any other direction. Rear marker lights must be red; front marker lights and turn signals must be amber. The only non-red lights that may ever be seen from the rear are turn signals, which can be either red or amber; white back up lights; and the white light that illuminates the tag. Only law enforcement vehicles may use blue lights of any kind.

Under the car lights. The same rules apply, meaning they can’t be blue, red, or amber. They also can’t blink or flash.

·
Registered
549 Posts
what a coinkidink! i saw some on a bike this morning. it was dark out, and this black V-Strom really stood out with it's illuminated wheels. can't hurt to be seen a little better.

·
Registered
668 Posts
AngryHatter said:
Would a couple of grams make that much difference, or were you being facetious and I missed it?
couple of grams is enough to throw your tires out of balance isn't it?. i was thinking of getting the valve stems also until this fact was brought to my attention . might not big that big of a deal on a car but on two wheels i wouldn't chance it , would you?

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my town they are very common. Neon Body kits on bikes also. I've never heard anyone complain about a change in handleing due to balance problems. Plus, balance doesn't keep a bike up. Centrifugal force does. I've had rocks stuck in my treads that weighed more than one of these.

·
Registered
668 Posts
mountain bike mike said:
AngryHatter said:
Would a couple of grams make that much difference, or were you being facetious and I missed it?
i've seen these in person. i'd bet one week's pay that they wouldn't affect tire balance.
I haven't seen them(other then on ebay that is.) . just thought they looked awful big and would . just didn't think i wanted a tire bouncing/high speed vibration if they did??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DzzRed66 said:
Thanks!

I'm always looking for something to be more visible for my night rides.

Did you have to buy the valve stem adaptor?

Now, hmm, which color, which color. :D
No I did not. 2006 750 Areo and 2006 250 Rebel. I don't know about other bikes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as tire/wheel balance. They don't seem to weigh more than other decrotive valve stem caps. They are very light plastic.

Yes, in Florida has some color laws but we have the red/white/blue ones. Which we will probably eventually be told not to use, as they do look like a police bike coming down the road :) However, visibility is the key and if I get asked to pull them off, I'll change the color of course. My wife has purple neons under her Mustang Convertible and local cops said they are fine, in fact complimented her on them :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had pressure caps on mine for a few years, with zero problems.
I don't think the LED ones would weigh any more than what I have.

I like the LED idea, but I also like my pressure caps, as they tell me at a glance if my tire pressure is getting low.

Decisions...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Smib said:
I've had pressure caps on mine for a few years, with zero problems.
I don't think the LED ones would weigh any more than what I have.

I like the LED idea, but I also like my pressure caps, as they tell me at a glance if my tire pressure is getting low.

Decisions...
DITTO on caps. I like to be able to look and see if I`m good to go with out checking pressure every time I ride. BTW, these caps do work @ 32lbs.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Just ordered mine-- the UV in yellow .... will update when get them next week. I ordered the adapters just to be safe, they were inexpensive.

I get on the Highway at 5:20 am (still dark) and then merge onto another Highway (still dark) and it's always a crap shoot as to whether or not I'm going to get creamed or not. This could make the difference in someone seeing me, or not.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
from my experiance they don't have a notable affect on balance. i will tell you that it is very important to get the all plastic ones. if you have the aluminum ones like i did they'll likely cost you a vavle stem and a bi-metallic weld can form between the brass of the stem and the aluminum of the tirefly(if they are still made that way) otherwise go for they are neat. also as much as i hate to say it you can usually get them from your local big box retailer

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
We actually went to our local bicycle shop and bought lighted waist bands that we wear a sash. They are yellow with a strip of blinking red and they truly make us visible. http://www.uflash.com/arsporban.html
This isn't the exact one however but similar.

I'm not sure if they're legal or not but if the are not legal then the times we have passed the police on different occasions, they either don't know the law or are giving us the benefit of the doubt so until I'm pulled over I'm going to continue to use them.

I'm also going to experiment with bicycle headlights to illuminate the rider from behind. Maybe I can mount it on the sissy bar or the luggage rack.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4320

I'm looking to illuminate the rider as well as the bike.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts