Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read an article in a magazine last night titled Old Bags On Bikes it was about 6 women approaching or in their 50's that took a 31 day trip on their bikes. It also gave this web site
http://www.oldbagsonbikes.com
It worth a look

·
Registered
10,170 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Old?

My wife is 61 and rode 20,000+ miles last year. We have put in more than 2,000 miles since Thanksgiving in all kinds of weather. On many rides, she is the only chick out there. She is competent and handles her bikes well. You would never suspect she is a rider until you see her on her bike. Another friend didn't start riding until she was 78. She has been at it for 7 years now, but just sold her Softail Classic because it was getting too heavy for her. She rides every weekend with her son now. More power to all the ladies out there riding.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: Old?

deeppurple52 said:
My wife is 61 and rode 20,000+ miles last year. We have put in more than 2,000 miles since Thanksgiving in all kinds of weather. On many rides, she is the only chick out there. She is competent and handles her bikes well. You would never suspect she is a rider until you see her on her bike. Another friend didn't start riding until she was 78. She has been at it for 7 years now, but just sold her Softail Classic because it was getting too heavy for her. She rides every weekend with her son now. More power to all the ladies out there riding.

Enjoy the ride!
I`m setting here with my mouth open. What a great bunch of woman. I wish I could trust my wife with a bike. :roll: Hats off to the ladies. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now that is an inspirational post for both female and male riders. :D

Like almost everyone here I dream of being able to do such an adventure, this just reminds us it can be done :D

The Ulysses Club I belong to has a lot of women who are 50+ in years and to hear some of their adventures of riding all over Australia is also an inspiration. The club is a great club that is spreading it wings to other parts of the world. 8)

Cheers
Annie

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got my first bike when I was 60 and started to learn to ride. Got my
licence in 2004. I will be 64 in 3 months and I love to ride. Don't
have that many miles under my belt yet, but I sure am proud to
know that I can ride. And ride I will till I can't anymore. Hopeing
that will be along time from now because I sure do feel young.

A daughter of mine also rides as does her hubby and mine and
2 Grandsons.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I am wondering if Lisa would qualify for this. I have been wanting to do something nice for her. Should I submit her name ??? You do have to be fifty right ?

Naaaaahhhhhhh.....Better let this one go I reckon. :)

Chris

( We all love ya Lisa )

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wher'es the Old bags,i expected to see antique leather,all i saw was 6 ladies that took a Long ride and had a lotta FUN,in 31 days. A real ride for
any group. Just goes to show its a safe sport, for safe riders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm showing this to the wife! I bought my first bike at 56 years old and all I hear is, "aren't you a little old for this." Funny though, every time I start the bike, the wife shows up helmet in hand, wanting to go too! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Old?

Spirited said:
What a great bunch of woman. I wish I could trust my wife with a bike. :roll: Hats off to the ladies. :wink:
I wish I cold trust my hubby with a bike. :wink:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do it!

Spirited...
A wonderful birthday (or Valentines Day or unbirthday) gift for your wife would be to enroll her in a MSF. It is great beginners training and will give you a partner to share the ride with. She needs to have a small bike to begin with, Shadow VLX or 750. You can pick them up very cheap. The Kawa VN 500 is also a great bike. I encourage all women to get off the back and on the front. Read April's post on this thread and you will understand.
My wife will have a new bike this weekend. She is going to look at an '03 Kawa 800, bags, shield, 1500 miles, low price (woo-hoo!) and only a mile or so from our house at lunchtime today. She has come a long way and also enjoys the ride. You don't have to fit the biker babe image to ride. I can't imagine riding without my wife along on her own bike. Just do it!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
590 Posts
deeppurple52, thank you for your insight on wife riding. I not sure I want to subject my wife to the dangers of not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time. :oops: Once when we were in the islands we rented mopeds to ride around and see the sights. We came upon a pier and were going to stop and look out over the water. I pulled up at piers edge and stopped, looking back at wife, she had her feet down trying to stop her moped instead of using brakes. She said she always stopped her bicycle that way. :roll: We have been together for 33 yrs. so I guess I`ll keep her a little longer. She does ride with me most of the time, if it`s a 100 miles or less as her butt can`t take it any longer, Mustang seat did`nt help. :cry:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Re: Do it!

deeppurple52 said:
Spirited...
A wonderful birthday (or Valentines Day or unbirthday) gift for your wife would be to enroll her in a MSF. It is great beginners training and will give you a partner to share the ride with. She needs to have a small bike to begin with, Shadow VLX or 750. You can pick them up very cheap. The Kawa VN 500 is also a great bike. I encourage all women to get off the back and on the front. Read April's post on this thread and you will understand.
My wife will have a new bike this weekend. She is going to look at an '03 Kawa 800, bags, shield, 1500 miles, low price (woo-hoo!) and only a mile or so from our house at lunchtime today. She has come a long way and also enjoys the ride. You don't have to fit the biker babe image to ride. I can't imagine riding without my wife along on her own bike. Just do it!

Enjoy the ride!
All women who ride are biker babes in my book! :D

Met a lady last night with 140,000 miles on her HD Sportser and just got it back last night after an engine rebuild.

I am super proud that my wife made the decision on her own to go take the MSF class and start riding.

She's happy, proud and confident!

So am I!! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
They had a newspaper article about a local woman who had managed to flip the odometer on her Goldwing. Her granddaughter was with her for a good majority of those miles, including multiple trips down to Disneyland. The article said that her young granddaughter had probably logged more miles than most hardcore bikers!

Every year at the Reynolds-Wetaskwin Museum out here, they have a salute to the motorcycle that lasts several months. Everything from early (and I mean EARLY) Harleys and Indians, right up to the #1 Honda Rune off of the production line that was donated to teh museum. last time I was there, they had a feature about another local woman named Doris Maron, who is believed to be the first woman to ride a motorcycle around the world solo. She was riding a 2001 750 Magna.

Pics of the display are below:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/sniperbob_92/magna1.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/sniperbob_92/magna2.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/sniperbob_92/magna3.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts