Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad and I installed a new front tire today. Final results are good, tire runs smooth and silky.
But let me tell you...it sure looked a lot easier on "you tube".
Used 3 tire irons, rim protectors, soapy mix for lube, and a lot of cussing.
Finished off with Dyna Beads.
I am sure the technique is something learned, that it's easier after doing several of them. But after today, next time I will likely just yank the wheel off and take it to the bike shop and let them fight with it.
Not too proud to say I got my ass kicked today.
Dan

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I had a rear tire mounted by a shop last Friday. They do it manually. Looks like it would be a piece of cake with the proper tools and a pain otherwise. Having a way to keep the rim stationary would be my biggest problem. For $32.00, I'll just let them keep doing it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Having watched a number of folks do it on Youtube, I decided it looked like a heck of a lot of work too. I am having to do everything I can now to save money on my bike maintenance but I also know there are some things I will not be able to do. Partly because I do not have the tools, and primarily because I am not mechanically inclined. I was impressed with myself for changing the plugs. Perhaps I will give it a try though. I'm guessing your tires are tubeless which might make it easier. Mine has tubes and I bet I rip them to shreds getting the tire on!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Better you than me! I will gladly drop the money for the shop to do it! Lazy, maybe...Smart in my OP, dam right! I put a tube in my riding mower last year, just a tube, it kicked my ass, so let the pros do it!
Coop

·
Registered
619 Posts
it takes time to get good at changing them. I change tires all day at the shop and it still takes me forever to do them, but my dad can take them off and put one on without breaking a sweat. He has been doing it his whole life though. He's a pro! haha

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a maintenance tech where I work, and I make everything I can at home. I am mechanically inclined.
I am sure it is not that big a deal when you use the right technique.
But it sure wore me out today.
Dan

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Good for you!!! I do all my tire work. I bought the harbor freight tire changer. It's pretty costly around here to have it done. So it was well worth the 100 bux to invest. That's about 2 tire changes around here. Plus I don't have to worry about them ****ing up my bike! Gettin ready to replace the front tire on my wife's Sabre.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
it takes time to get good at changing them. I change tires all day at the shop and it still takes me forever to do them, but my dad can take them off and put one on without breaking a sweat. He has been doing it his whole life though. He's a pro! haha
+1

hahaha! yeah, dad is very good at it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I saved the following link showing a "different" method of mounting a tire. I bought some straps and tried it myself recently mounting a rear Gold Wing tire. I did have to use a tire iron to get the last of the bead over the rim, but might have been able to do it with a little extra lube in the right places. I'm looking forward to trying this method again. Not sure how it will work with a tube type tire...
Mount a Motorcycle Tire Without Using Tools - ADVrider

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know about getting wooped by a mc tire but kinda makes you feel good to say I won in the end. What brand of tire did you go with?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
there are a lot of independent shops around that wont kill you with motorcycle tire mountin' prices... i know we don't. we do all the motorcycle tires manually.

$40 for the rear, $30 for the front(this is if you bring the bike in)
it's just $20 if you bring in the wheel.

all these prices include balancing. i'd check for shops around your area.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know about getting wooped by a mc tire but kinda makes you feel good to say I won in the end. What brand of tire did you go with?
I went with Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial. I have an Exedra Max Bias on the rear that I am happy with, and plan to go with radial next time.
Won't take long....I am putting on over 2k a month.
Dan

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
there are a lot of independent shops around that wont kill you with motorcycle tire mountin' prices... i know we don't. we do all the motorcycle tires manually.

$40 for the rear, $30 for the front(this is if you bring the bike in)
it's just $20 if you bring in the wheel.

all these prices include balancing. i'd check for shops around your area.
Those are decent prices. My local shop charges 25 if you bring the rim in which is a fair price but were going to charge 135.00 to change the rear if I dropped off the bike.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
I do my own tire work too...
Everything from Bicycle to tractor...
When I bought a tire fer the tractor the guy I bought it from said the "mobile tire truck charged him $100 to change one on his tractor" I decided to do it myself...
You talk about an asswhoopin`!!!
I did it with the wheel ON the tractor as per suggested...
Motorcycle, wheels carried in ~ $40 just to balance two at my local shop???
I do it myself...
Ride SAFE,
Dennis
Sturgis2011

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Those are decent prices. My local shop charges 25 if you bring the rim in which is a fair price but were going to charge 135.00 to change the rear if I dropped off the bike.
they probably charged you that much because of it havin' hard bags. but that is still way to much...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am a maintenance tech where I work, and I make everything I can at home. I am mechanically inclined.
I am sure it is not that big a deal when you use the right technique.
But it sure wore me out today.
Dan
You have to find a way to hold the rim still without damaging it. I welded together a jig to hold them still. For me, that made a HUGE difference. Also, soapy water sucks as a tire lube. Go to NAPA, most stores will have their store-brand tire lube on the shelf. I think a gallon was $9? Worth every penny, it never goes bad/rotten, and you probably won't ever use it all. I have changed about 10 tires so far and have used less than 2 cups of tire lube.

Also, get some good tire spoons (tire irons are not the best for this job) they don't really need to be that long for a MC tire, but they do need to have a wide, flat face and rounded edges to prevent rim damage. Then maybe you can dump the hassle of using rim protectors (I never use them).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts