Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more luggage racks I look at, the more confused I get. Does the rack simply fit in-line with the existing horizontal holes on the sissy bar, or is drilling required? Are the existing bolts re-usable, or are new ones needed? Thanks for the help.

· Registered
22 Posts
tantasquit said:
The more luggage racks I look at, the more confused I get. Does the rack simply fit in-line with the existing horizontal holes on the sissy bar, or is drilling required? Are the existing bolts re-usable, or are new ones needed? Thanks for the help.
I just put one on my 06 Spirit 1100. I purchased the Honda square rack. It took me about 20 mins. and I don't do anything much aside from an oil change to my bike. so you know it's an easy job :D

I think the rack came with longer bolts, so if that's the one you want, it comes with everything!

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I thought it would be a simple install, but there are so many versions of racks out there that I got a broad-sided a bit.

Next step for me, go out and buy the rack!

Thanks again.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, 20 minutes to install the rack sounds about right. It would have taken me about that amount of time, except that when I thought I was done and everything looked good, I noticed the right rear directional was not very tight.

One thing lead to another, and in order to tighten it, I ended up removing the seats and rear fender to get access to the nut. With the nut tightened all the way, the directional was still loose. I ended up by removing the inner metal bushing that the stud passes thru and placing a nylon washer onto the bushing. It took up the spacing that shouldn't have been there in the first place and now all is well.

I had the same problem with my headlight being loose too. To remedy that, I removed the bushings and ground them about 1/8" shorter. Now the nuts and bolts form a very secure fit.

The rack looks good and will surely get a lot of usage this summer. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.