Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/help on installing a windshield on my Shadow Aero. I recently purchased a National Cycle Heavy duty windshield from Custom Cruisers (online). Last weekend I went to mount it and the clamps do not meet when I put them on the bike. They are about 3/4" apart. I called the manufacturer and was told to take pliers and squeeze the clamps until the two sides meet.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with National Cycle windshield or could offer any suggestions on whether this going to fit my bike. At this point I'm thinking I should send the windshield back and start over again.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I kind of feel the same way about the whole "squeezing the clamps together" thing, but figured I'd give it a try. I was told that sometimes this happens. Personally, though I don't see how I'm going to be able to squeeze them together as they are chrome and I'm not that strong.

I found this manufacturer on the web and it was a decent price, however, if there's a better windshield maker that you or anyone could suggest, I'd be happy to give them a try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want protection from the wind as well. I find that I'm getting battered around by the wind and I'm a fairly small person to begin with. I was going for the full windshield as opposed to just a wind deflector.

·
Registered
64 Posts
after spending years putting aftermarket products on cars and trucks , if the part doesnt fit right, you must hit it with a hammer.So part will need some adjustments. , but nothing like what you described. clamps should fit close but not together,so when you tighten them they will be tight'. This is my first bike four month after i bought it i was involved in a wreck.the firt windshield only lasted three hours..i have a memphis shade very easy to install.mine is a memphis Fats 21 inch tall. all aftermarket parts should go on without any mods.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Maybe I'll look at the Memphis fats style and send the National Cycle back. You are confirming my thought as well that the clamps are too far apart to squeeze together. I can understand a little shimmying or adjusting, but squeezing with pliers goes beyond minor adjustment. Plus the little screw that is supposed to go in one spot is about 1/2" too short at present.

Looks like National Cycle will be going back. As for the Memphis Fats windshield, I assume them come in different heights as a 21" will be too high for me. I think I need something around 17" in so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Memphis shades comes in 13",,,15" 17" 19" and 21" you can get them from dennis kirk or jpcycles prices from 135.. to175. hope this helps

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
LolaRider said:
Thanks. Maybe I'll look at the Memphis fats style and send the National Cycle back. You are confirming my thought as well that the clamps are too far apart to squeeze together. I can understand a little shimmying or adjusting, but squeezing with pliers goes beyond minor adjustment. Plus the little screw that is supposed to go in one spot is about 1/2" too short at present.

Looks like National Cycle will be going back. As for the Memphis Fats windshield, I assume them come in different heights as a 21" will be too high for me. I think I need something around 17" in so.
I put a NCHD Windshield on my Sabre and mine have the brackets that attach around the top of the forks and if I recall those brackets only went on one way small at the top and wider at the bottom, mine clipped together in the back and have a couple of bolts to mount the bracket to in the front, wasn't really easy but I did it by myself about 5yrs ago so memory might be a little faded, I ordered mine thru the my Honda Dealer. I'm hoping that you ordered bike specific.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have any experience with National Cycles windshields but I can sure recommend Memphis Shades for fit, function, and installation. I haven't had any problems at all with my Fats 21.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LolaRider,

I put the National Cycle Switchblade on our 2006 Aero. I had the same trouble as you in terms of getting the brackets to fit until I realized that they are tapered and should only go on one way. Try turning them over and than reinstalling them. They might fit together better.

Hope this helps.
Mac1

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like those of you that have installed the NC windshield experienced the same problem. I've turned the clamps over and then thought that maybe they are side-specific so I moved them from right to left and still no luck. I have them placed at the very top of the forks as that's where they fit the best, but still don't meet. When I spoke to the manufacturer I double-checked to make sure I had the right mounting kit for a Shadow Aero and they confirmed that I did.

I am giving this one more try today, although everyone tells me I'm insane and have spent way too much time on this already, but I cannot admit defeat yet!

Do all of the Memphis Fats windshield have that shading on the bottom?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I had my fill of the National Cycle brand myself. The mounting hardware should be included with an octapus to help put things together. The mounting blocks they gave me are a bitch to line up and never do look right untill you tighten the bolts to pull things together. After having it mounted for one season, it started to spider web around all the screws (I thought maybe they were too tight?) so I got rid of the windshield and went to Memphis shades.
I like the Memphis Shades better, except for the mounting clamps (chinsy aluminum) that you have to be careful with. The screws strip out easily if you get them too tight. I have a habit of keeping things tight and it bit me in the ass after a few times of remounting the windshield.
I have since made my own mounting system and it works alot better then either one of the brands and looks just as good. >PD<

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed the 2-up from NC at Christmas, had no issues, went right on. Not to question your ability, but did you have the bracket right side up? There are 2 different size straps a smaller for the top and larger for the bottom, if flipped, they won't work.

Installing of the brackets took maybe 20 minutes tops!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did have the bracket the right way up, but my technical abilities were still sadly lacking. As it turns out, a friend of mine came over and ended up installing the windshield. The key to doing it was to put the longer screws in at the top and bottom of the clamp and crank it closed and then inserting the shorter screw and then taking out the longer screws and continuing with the installation. Since I am not that mechanically inclined I never would have thought of this, although in hindsight it probably should have been obvious.

Needless to say, the windshield is on and after a couple of test rides around the neighborhood we adjusted it for rattle noise and height (I'm fairly short) and it works great. Just have to get used to it now.

Sure will be nice not to get beat up by the wind on those long rides.

Thanks, all for your help!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep, thank you for biker friends. Now if I could get just get him to change the oil, I'd be a happy woman!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts