Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I have been wanting to add LED Accent lights to my motorcycle for some time now and I found a 207 LED multi-light, multi-function kit made by Joe Florida. It is like the ultimate lit kit as far as I have found out there; having lights to cover the entire bike and then some.
My question is to any who have installed light kits on their bikes, how difficult is it to run the lights in those hard to reach places, for instance under the tank where access is limited? The kit suggests numerous places to install the lights, some being under the tank, behind the breather, along the front forks to light up the wheels although I would almost want to run the lights under the front fender to light up the wheels better.
Is it preferred to remove the tank to proplerly mount the light kit or is that overkill? Is removing the tank difficult? Same question goes to removing the front fender to do the same? How did you run all the wires along the bike, particularly the wires coming from the lights that would be installed on, in, or around the front fender?

Any information, tips, advice are most appreciated.

Ride safe

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Honestly, I don't know of a pat answer to your question... :) It's a kit you'll have to get and experiment with! Removing a tank isn't all that tough... In your shoes, I'd get the kit, lay it out, ponder awhile, lay it out this way and that way, decide on what I like then get to the wrenching and wire crimping :) I'd run the wires for the front fender up along the brake lines, just to give enough flex room. They make nice things to enclose wires that would fit over or beside the brake lines. Don't be afraid to pull things off and experiment :) It's just a few screws, nuts and bolts... nothing that will affect how the bike runs. However... make sure you have the proper relays for this new lighting, make sure that it's not going to overload your stock electrical system :)

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have the same kits you bought. They are great. I just stripped the one kit off my wife's bike as we just traded it in on a bike just like yours. I will be re installing it later in the week on her new bike. Not sure when you will be doing yours, but I plan on taking pics of the install.

They are fairly easy to work with. Here are a couple tips. I'm not sure if Joe has changed the 2 sided tape he was using. I know he had plans to. The adhesive that comes on the back of the LED's sometimes does not adhere very well to surfaces. You must clean and prep them with alcohol, let it dry completely before applying. I put all new 3M tape on mine. You can buy it at Home Depot or somewhere similar

It is wide enough to lay 2 strips of LED's side by side, and then cut it down the middle w/ a razor blade.

Now for the mounting, I bought a second kit for more coverage on my bike. You will need to take the tank off, empty it so you can turn it upside down, and run the strip along the inside edge of the tank. Not sure how hard this is on the Aero, but it can't be much different from the Sabre. You'll have to remove the neck covers I believe to get to the forward mounting bolt. ( I was scoping out my wife's bike today) Then the bolt under the front of the seat, yes you'll have to remove that too. Then you have a vent hose on the rear right side of the tank, and the fuel line on the left. Make sure you close the fuel valve before removing the hose. The wiring is easy to run and hide. Keep in mind the components you may need to remove later for servicing, make sure the connections are easy to access. My M109 was very easy to do, My wife's Sabre was a lil more of a challenge, only because of the single disk on the front wheel. I removed the fender, ran strips down both sides of the inside, then had to run the wiring out the one side and up the brake hose. The challenge was the connections for the extension wires inside the fender. I don't have any install pics of hers, but here is the front fender of my 9, it's run the same way, but has dual disk up front so I was able to run one line out each side.

I'm gonna assume the Aero's fender is set up similar to the Sabre, there is a metal fender support under it that I was able to fasten the connections to so I could run them out the same side. Then I neatly ran the wiring up the brake hose and secured them every couple inches w/ the small wire tie's supplied. That took longer then doing the rest of the bike.

If you have any questions about the kit, Joe is an awesome guy to deal w/ and get a hold of.

As for the different parts of the kit, IMO, the wheel coverage kits are not bright enough w/ what's supplied. That's why I bought a second kit. The LED's you see in my fender is actually the road coverage kit. When I used the small 6 LED strips for the wheels, I wasn't happy w/ the brightness, so I re did them.

Here is how it looked w/ the wheel coverage kits in place

Here's how it looks w/ the road coverage kit in place of the wheel coverage kit, notice how much brighter the wheel areas are now

Hope this helps ya

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big B, thanks for advice and pictures. I hope to work on this project in the next few weeks. I may call on you in the future for further advice if I get stuck if that's ok with you. I will try to take pre, during, and post pictures so I can extend my installation experience with other members. I figure my biggest area of concern will be removing the tank to install the lights; I've never done that before so I am a little apprehensive about it. I've worked on cars sparingly but nothing to this magnitude so I look forward to the learning experience. I'll check in when I figure it all out.

Thanks again for the advice Big B and Kathy M

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Big B, thanks for advice and pictures. I hope to work on this project in the next few weeks. I may call on you in the future for further advice if I get stuck if that's ok with you. I will try to take pre, during, and post pictures so I can extend my installation experience with other members. I figure my biggest area of concern will be removing the tank to install the lights; I've never done that before so I am a little apprehensive about it. I've worked on cars sparingly but nothing to this magnitude so I look forward to the learning experience. I'll check in when I figure it all out.

Thanks again for the advice Big B and Kathy M
No problem, I'm here if you need me. Pulling the tank is no big deal, I promise. Like I said, if all goes well, I'll be doing hers the end of this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts