Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Drag Specialties mini tachometer for my 2019 Honda Shadow Phantom vt750c2bk. Local shop installed It plus adapter but only reads half rpms. When wires switched reads zero. If anyone has had success installing similar you please send me instructions. Thanks

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,909 Posts
Are there instructions for it? Some have adjustments for dual fire systems so it reads correctly.
Some of the guys have had this and they should be along.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,129 Posts
I don't have that model of bike and I use an aftermarket ignition box with a Drag Specialties Mini digital tach directly wired in, so I can't say for sure other than mine worked when I ran it off a coil wire with no adapter.

IIRC most of the later Shadows fire the ignition on both the power and the exhaust stroke therefore I believe the adapter may be unnecessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there instructions for it? Some have adjustments for dual fire systems so it reads correctly.
Some of the guys have had this and they should be along.
There are and I know the shop followed them. They also consulted with some other sources. They said by all rights it should work correctly but doesn’t.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,398 Posts
I bought a Drag Specialties mini tachometer for my 2019 Honda Shadow Phantom vt750c2bk. Local shop installed It plus adapter but only reads half rpms. When wires switched reads zero. If anyone has had success installing similar you please send me instructions. Thanks
If they installed the adapter, it won't work. Take it back and have them remove the adapter. The adapter is for pre 2004 model single fire bikes.

Drag Specialties Electrical Mini 8000 RPM Tachometer w/Black Face - 2211-0057

• Features include chrome bodies, polished stainless steel bezels, non-fluctuating needles, back-lit translucent faces, chrome Y-mount and handlebar clamps
  • Sturdy construction is water- and vibration-resistant
  • Body diameters are 2.4 in. (61mm); bezel diameters are 2.64 in. (67mm)
  • Overall length is 3.0 in. (76.2mm) for mechanical tachs, 2.7 in. (68.6mm) for electrical tachs
  • Has color-coded wires and wiring instructions
  • Includes 1 in. dia. handlebar clamps
  • Available with a white or black face
NOTE:Tach adapter 40-8044 required for single fire ignition. (Pre 04 Models only)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the white face 2211-0032. I believe they installed it initially without the adapter, then got the adapter when it didn’t work.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Ok, it does not take an adapter. The adaptor is cutting the reading in half. i would say the shop hooked it up wrong to begin with, then tried using the adaptor.

Use a dedicated ground for maximum efficiency, do not tap into a known ground wire. Run the black wire directly to a frame ground screw using a ring terminal. Tachs are extremely ground sensitive and a weak ground will make them bounce around a lot instead of being perfectly smooth.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Twist the Blue and Red wires from the tach together and join them to a length of wire that will go to a source of power that only has voltage when the key is in the ON position. I would use the tail light wire (not the turn signal wire).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The instructions show 3 wires, green, mblack and red. Green to coil, black to ground and red to 12v.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Ok, evidently the $102 tach you bought doesn't have the ability to turn off the back lighted display like the $75 model from the same company. That's really strange.

No problem, though. It still hooks up just like I said above.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
The instructions show 3 wires, green, mblack and red. Green to coil, black to ground and red to 12v.
Now that we're talking about the same tach, that green wire that goes to the coil must be hooked up to the Negative side of the coil. If it's hooked up to the positive side, bad things will happen. Do you know how to tell the difference between the positive and negative sides of the coil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t, but it’s (negative side) is clearly indicated in the instructions they had. In any case I’ll bring that to their attention along with the rest of your comments for which I am most grateful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, it does not take an adapter. The adaptor is cutting the reading in half. i would say the shop hooked it up wrong to begin with, then tried using the adaptor.

Use a dedicated ground for maximum efficiency, do not tap into a known ground wire. Run the black wire directly to a frame ground screw using a ring terminal. Tachs are extremely ground sensitive and a weak ground will make them bounce around a lot instead of being perfectly smooth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For some reason the wiring diagram you sent has disappeared. Any chance you could send that again and I’l bring that in, too. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts