Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
@Dingo. are you sure it wasn't a dig at the lack of cc's vice it being a Honda -vs- Harley thing? I know any time I'm out on one of my small 250 cc bikes (with knobby tires), there's always some dude with a 450 or 650 that makes the same remark. Often it's done with levity. If it was a dude ... or chick ... on a big Vulcan or a Triumph Rocket would you of been as offended?
As to you folks with the snarky cracks about H/D's being in the shop.... try looking in a dealership or repair shop. I'll bet you you'll find a whole bunch of Honda's and Yamaha and every other brand needing work. Do you seriously believe, in this day and age that one or two brands have mechanical superiority?

For a lot of people, it's all about the cc's. There's are millions of riders out there that consider a Honda Shadow little more than a "starter" bike. They believe once you get the whole two-wheeled thing figured out it's then time to move "up to a "real" bike". It's an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd be willing to bet a lot of those folks started off on a Honda Shadow or something similar and have nothing but respect for the bike, they just don't view it as a "real" bike. Get over it. It is what it is. If you're happy and satisfied with your bike then why should it matter what someone else says about it.

It's amazing how many threads we've had around here lately that are about some guy on a Harley said this to me, or that to me....... Would you of been as offended if it was a guy on a Suzuki or a BMW or a Valkyrie?

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
Is that because they are so unreliable that they always are in need of repair? :)
At least a Honda keeps us on the road.
whenever anyone tells me they own a Harley, I always say "Oh, is it in the shop is it?" :)
"It is my personal opinion that being an ass knows no borders, ethnicity, gender, religion or any other category that you can name. They just seem to be everywhere." How true.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
@Dingo. are you sure it wasn't a dig at the lack of cc's vice it being a Honda -vs- Harley thing? I know any time I'm out on one of my small 250 cc bikes (with knobby tires), there's always some dude with a 450 or 650 that makes the same remark. Often it's done with levity. If it was a dude ... or chick ... on a big Vulcan or a Triumph Rocket would you of been as offended?
As to you folks with the snarky cracks about H/D's being in the shop.... try looking in a dealership or repair shop. I'll bet you you'll find a whole bunch of Honda's and Yamaha and every other brand needing work. Do you seriously believe, in this day and age that one or two brands have mechanical superiority?

For a lot of people, it's all about the cc's. There's are millions of riders out there that consider a Honda Shadow little more than a "starter" bike. They believe once you get the whole two-wheeled thing figured out it's then time to move "up to a "real" bike". It's an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd be willing to bet a lot of those folks started off on a Honda Shadow or something similar and have nothing but respect for the bike, they just don't view it as a "real" bike. Get over it. It is what it is. If you're happy and satisfied with your bike then why should it matter what someone else says about it.

It's amazing how many threads we've had around here lately that are about some guy on a Harley said this to me, or that to me....... Would you of been as offended if it was a guy on a Suzuki or a BMW or a Valkyrie?
Praise the Lord and pass the plate...Chief you nailed it. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I just ignore the "insults", and ride my bike that I love, since their "opinion" is less than worthless to me. I've had some actually say, "Nice Harley! What model is it?" to which I reply, "It's actually a Honda!", and usually take off quick so they can hear how my Cobra pipes sound almost exactly like a Sporty with Screamin' Eagles. That usually shuts them up, but I had one guy come back with, "Well, it looks great to me!" Jerks are everywhere, riding ALL kinds of bikes, and cars, and whatever. It may seem like this "attitude" comes more from HD riders than others, but it really doesn't matter. Just be happy with what you have, and learn to let all the other garbage roll off like water off a duck's back.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I just ignore the "insults", and ride my bike that I love, since their "opinion" is less than worthless to me. I've had some actually say, "Nice Harley! What model is it?" to which I reply, "It's actually a Honda!", and usually take off quick so they can hear how my Cobra pipes sound almost exactly like a Sporty with Screamin' Eagles. That usually shuts them up, but I had one guy come back with, "Well, it looks great to me!" Jerks are everywhere, riding ALL kinds of bikes, and cars, and whatever. It may seem like this "attitude" comes more from HD riders than others, but it really doesn't matter. Just be happy with what you have, and learn to let all the other garbage roll off like water off a duck's back.
I've noticed that as often as not, the people who bust on non-Harleys are people who don't, and probably never will, ride.

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
If you wear all the gear all the time then you never have to worry about these things.. Some shovelhead worshipping cool-kid could be yelling into your visor and most likely your honest response would be along the lines of:

"W-What? ..My? my bike is that?-Sorry.. I-can't ..YES!.. a HONDA!!" as you shake your head, shrug, and wave your hands around where your ear-holes would normally be.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Funny that you don't hear people saying "Get a real car." I wonder what would qualify for that statement. If you want to get people thinking ask them this...If Harvey Davidson built a single engine plane......would you fly in it? " Then watch their wheels start turning and see how few actually say "Yes I would."
Harley makes some great bikes.....so does most of all the other manufacturers or they would not be in business. There are certain brands of things I swear by and I strongly recommend people try them, but I don't insult or belittle them because they don't own my preferred brand. The mentality goes beyond motorcycles. Take firearms for example...despite them being used worldwide by military and law enforcement agencies, being used to win countless shooting competitions, and having a reputation of being the most reliable pistol on the planet, there are still people who criticize and hate Glocks. I guess there will always be haters out there regardless of the product.
Reliability and functionality are what I love about my Glock and Shadow. Plus both are black, the correct color for guns and bikes. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guess I've been lucky. I get nothing but compliments about my Phantom. Every time I get gas, people walk by and tell me it's a slick ride. We have a good mix of riders around us. This weekend, I passed Harleys, a VTX, several sport bikes, Goldwings, and a large group of scooters. I waved to them all.

The only grief I get is from my father-in-law and his neighbor, who both ride Harleys. His Road King died on him during a ride with us so, naturally, I immediately returned the grief he had been dishing out. lol It's all in good fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Never had an insult... yet. Most folks compliment it - especially the flat matte finish.

I'm a relatively new rider. And I LOVE going fast - hence why I won't own a crotch rocket because I KNOW I'll get in trouble.
I'm also a small framed dude, so frankly the bigger bikes DO intimidate me a bit. I'm perfectly content with my 750cc.

And no, I don't like Glocks. Nothing against the weapon platform - they just don't feel right in my hand. Happy with my M&P :)
Even though I own an AR-15, I prefer the AK simply because it was the weapons platform I trained with.

Now my WOMEN though - I like 'em all... blonde brunette redhead - I ain't picky :p

To each their own. The world sure would be a boring place if there was only one kind of everything...

cheers,

·
Registered
42 Posts
My nimble ACE isn't so nimble. ..

I just love it whenever I get put down for my baby Honda ACE 750. I started on her and will keep her. Many HD peeps running their mouths, including women, don't understand the 2003 ACE I have with only a few miles on her is a sweet classic and will get up and run. A HD is ok but I'm just as happy to have what I purchased. No payment either. No debt. Some other riders respect the ACE and understand that it's a true bike for anyone. The one's that knock it have no idea what a gem they truly are. I'm not out to impress anyone. I'm fine with what I have and they don't pay my bills. Plus, I think their jealous for mine being so decked out. Sorry! People think she's a HD in a given day until they read Honda. One great thing about it. I have a radiator. Most of them don't. They can keep whining about the Alabama heat!😊😊

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
On that note, I've had a Harley rider give me the thumb-up on my Phantom as he rode up to me and then turned off.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A real biker won't give a sh!t what you ride so long as you ride... The ones that feel they need to stress their superiority over other ( often because they have a lack of confidence and superiority) are not real bikers, they are posers that learned how to ride. They tend to be alone , or in a group of the exact same folk.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
A real biker won't give a sh!t what you ride so long as you ride....
I don't even use the terms 'real biker' or 'poser' or any of those others. A decent, sensible, caring human being will be happy for you no matter what you ride because you are enjoying your life and they are doing the same. I don't have time for any other outlook. Life is gone in a flash ...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't even use the terms 'real biker' or 'poser' or any of those others. A decent, sensible, caring human being will be happy for you no matter what you ride because you are enjoying your life and they are doing the same. I don't have time for any other outlook. Life is gone in a flash ...

Well put Harry...

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Well said. Bike flavor notwithstanding. I don't run in motorcycle circles. Mosty a lone wolf. I would never think to make anything but a positive statement about another's bike regardless of brand

except for 750 Shadows......Hee hee.....:surprise:>:)

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
A real biker won't give a sh!t what you ride so long as you ride... The ones that feel they need to stress their superiority over other ( often because they have a lack of confidence and superiority) are not real bikers, they are posers that learned how to ride. They tend to be alone , or in a group of the exact same folk.
The real bikers don't even know you exist if they don't know you.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just exactly what is a "real biker" anyway? I ride everyday, I love to ride, I chose to ride over any other form of transportation, I've been riding since 5th grade. but I dont belong to a club or wear any colors. I call myself a biker but maybe I'm wrong?

RIDE ON !

41 - 60 of 174 Posts
About this Discussion
173 Replies
65 Participants
ericfx1984
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing