Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks. Got my renewal in the mail today from Intact. 1998 Ace Tourer (1100cc) and they want to jack my rates from $965/yr to $1311/yr.
Called my agent and he told me to try TD Insurance as there wasn't a lot he could do about the Intact rate. (no accidents, licensed since 1986)

I called TD and did a quote online. Much cheaper for the same coverage ($877/yr). Here's the issue; since my bike is a 1998, they want an appraisal if I want any comprehensive or collision coverage on it. An appraisal would run me around $140. I'm really contemplating forgoing the comprehensive and collision and going with the basic liability. I don't have collision coverage with Intact. However, without comprehensive, I'm S.O.L. in the case of fire or theft.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thats a beautiful bike you got there!!!! Just seeing those rates though. I understand your in Ontario, but geeeezzzz!!!!! Anyway, my personal thoughts are if you don't have it now whats changed? It will come down to your personal decision really. Do you like the bike enough to pay the extra? If something should happen to the bike,can you afford to pay for it? Just some thing to think about.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
I'm with TD and pay $810 per year for full Coverage. This rate was given after I discussed insuring the Bike and all of my accessories. After a buddy totalled his HD It got me thinking about replacement costs if it were to ever happen to me. I talked to them and came to a replacement cost of $14000 ($4000 for the bike and $10000 for the accessories). Still under valued if I were to write if off however much better if they never knew I had so much extras on it. I would never get anywhere near that much if I hadn't. Your rate sounds ok considering it is an 1100cc. I would get an appraisal for it. What is the insurance difference between to two coverages. If it is only slightly less for basic I would definitely get full coverage for it. I think mine was only $30-$40 more to cover the bike for bike and accessories.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep. That's about the difference. $40-$50. The appraisal would cost me $140.

Anybody here gone with Dalton Timmis? I see their ads in Motorcycle Mojo Magazine.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Try Geico. My Fury is only $360/yr for full and its a lot more expensive to replace than yours. Not bragging, just saying, the frame is expensive. Ive seen guys get scratches on theirs and they totaled it out. Which, is weird in itself, but oh well.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Was worth a shot. State Farm? Progressive? I just searched and found RidersPlus.com and ive heard good things about them.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Was worth a shot. State Farm? Progressive? I just searched and found RidersPlus.com and ive heard good things about them.
You don't ride in Canada because the insurance is reasonable.. Seems like those dudes and dudettes are always setting the example of just how bad things could be, when we crack open an envelope containing our own policy renewals.. :(

Being forced to carry insurance is one thing.. But companies raising rates like that when a person has never had an accident or ticket?? :roll: ...What's wrong with these companies.. Ain't right..

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm with Allstate now but was also able to get reasonable rates with TD through some group discounts.
I've just gone with one way insurance to keep my rates down.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up calling Dalton Timmis out of Ancaster. Brokered me a great deal. Full coverage, no appraisal required. $787/year.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Last year Riders Plus raised my rate to $950/yr, no driving convictions/tickets so there was no need for it to go up. I went with Intact when they quoted me $840. I got my renewal this year and it's $730. I'll stick with them until they try to screw me around, just like all the other insurance companies. Intact is my 4th insurance company in 14 years.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Riders plus makes it look like they are an insurance company. They are really just a broker.

Premmum (TD) is still the best for me My '03 goldwing is 750 all in :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
So i was in the same boat , renewal was up and Intact wanted $700 for plpd only, $990 Full.. Called Desjardin Insurance and they gave me $400 plpd - $600 Full. Called Allstate , they accused me of lying to force their price down, hung up on them quick.

I'm happily now with Desjardin. And desjardin is not a broker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts