Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are insurance rates so expensive in Ontario. After reading posts from our motorcycle friends across the border, it seems we are paying around 500% more for our rates!

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Are there any insurance brokers within this forum that can provide a bit of insight into the situation?

I love riding, but I hate feeling that I have to pay more for something just because I live in Ontario, or Canada.

·
Registered
162 Posts
bikervas said:
Why are insurance rates so expensive in Ontario. After reading posts from our motorcycle friends across the border, it seems we are paying around 500% more for our rates!

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Are there any insurance brokers within this forum that can provide a bit of insight into the situation?

I love riding, but I hate feeling that I have to pay more for something just because I live in Ontario, or Canada.
Too funny,
I was just thinking the same thing.
I just got a quote from Riders Plus and just about Crapped my pants....

For a guy who has had his bike license since 89' you thin there would be some kind of break....
Still looking for a good deal if anyonehas some suggestions...

Arrggghhhh

·
Registered
139 Posts
opipe said:
Too funny,
I was just thinking the same thing.
I just got a quote from Riders Plus and just about Crapped my pants....

For a guy who has had his bike license since 89' you thin there would be some kind of break....
Still looking for a good deal if anyonehas some suggestions...

Arrggghhhh
Try JEVCO... (u might have to go thru a broker - like Jerry Kaspard, for example) I have the same bike and only been riding 2 seasons... So far they have the bast rate for me.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Riders Plus gave me the best deal last year but I'll have to see if it'll go up this year. Probably. F*&king insurance companies. :roll:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have heard numbers around $150 / mth for new riders ..apperantly thru facility... after a year it drops closer to $100.. when you can leave the facility and go elsewhere... thru the same agent..
here is the agent they are using , give them a call
Mitchell John N
725 Coronation Boulevard
Cambridge, ON N1R 7S9

(519) 624-2252

·
Registered
79 Posts
williewonka said:
Riders Plus gave me the best deal last year but I'll have to see if it'll go up this year. Probably. F*&king insurance companies. :roll:
I'm in the process of getting quotes now. Never rode before but I will be taking the course. Riders Plus quoted $853 for full coverage with $500 deductable on a 2000 750 ACE. They said the rates were actually dropping a bit this year.

State Farm wants $800.63 for the same thing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
bikervas where in the region u live?
i live in the falls. maybe we can get together for a ride when the snows gone and ride and meet the rest of the gang(crazy canucks).
what do u ride?
my cousin is an insurance agent.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oliver99 said:
bikervas where in the region u live?
i live in the falls. maybe we can get together for a ride when the snows gone and ride and meet the rest of the gang(crazy canucks).
what do u ride?
my cousin is an insurance agent.
Hi oliver99.

I live in Grimsby. I ride a 2002 ACE 750 - pearl, marble blue. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done about insurance rates if we all begin to voice our concerns regarding the issue. I am wondering if your cousin could provide some insight into the current situation - where are rates headed, what can be done as a large motorcycle association to curb rates. I know it's a long shot, but for some of us it may be the determining factor of whether we can afford to ride or not.

Pleasure corresponding with you - perhaps we may get a chance to ride together at some point.

Vas

·
Registered
37 Posts
our insurance rates in QC are lower then you guys but if i'm not mistaken your plates are a lot lower then ours, so i think it evens out...

320$ fully insured, theft, fire, vandalizm, collision for a 96vt1100 and i only have my bike license for around 8 months

motorcycle plates are now around 300$ but will go up to 540$ within the next 2 years for touring bike...

racers are gonna get hit a lot as their plates will climb to a ridiculous 1300$ a year!!! :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rate for Spirit 1100 in Calgary

I pay $688.00 per year for my 2005 1100 Spirit with the co-operators. I'm claim free ever since I signed up with them in 1994 and I have business, home, four vehicles and life insurance with them. That is for collision & comprehensive for a commuter bike with a $500 deductible. Personally I wish that they would just publish their rates & required qualifiers etc. in a brochure or online instead of making it all so mysterious and milk the people who do not shop around.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm at $840.00 per year with no collision, I only took out liability and comprehensive...

Economical Insurance, I have my house and 2 cars with them. No accident claims with cars or bikes in ( 36 years of driving), I'm over 50, and have had my bike licence since I was 16. Just got back on a bike after 26 years away from the sport and I also took the riders course 2 seasons ago.

I'm going to get Dalton Timmins to quote me this year, as I'm sure I can do better. Right now I pay my premiums over the 12 months instead of up front or quarterly payments. Its easier to budget it that way. It took a lot of convincing on my part with my current broker to arrange that.

I don't see why we should have to give the money up front...it is a seasonal sport...cause my bike is insured for fire & theft as well ALL YEAR round.

When the premiums get to $1000 a season...I'll be quitting. Its not worth that kind of money.

Personally , I think everyone's insurance should be based on their own driving record....not someone elses.

If the same kind of motorcycle insurance and registration policies in Quebec, come this way, watch out, cause the costs will go through the roof!

We pay $42.00 for plates here....compared to $500.oo plus in Quebec, plus if I'm not mistaken, there is addtional insurance coverage required along with that???

....Rick

...Rick

·
Registered
392 Posts
my wife's cousin is an insurance agent so i sent him this posting asking what gives?
he said he is going to look into it.
just thought i would bust his chops and try and wind him up a bit.
we'll see wha happens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Intrigued by Chris' savings, as I payed 1200 bones this year (and btw that's with no collision) I decided to get a quote with dalton timmins. Here's what the sent me:

"Hello Scott!

Thank you for submitting your information on-line. However we would have quoted kingsway or jevco. So we are unable to give you a quote as you are already with Kingsway and have already been with jevco.

Ride Carefully,"

I'm glad to know they are concerned with my safety.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wonder if Michelle reads hondashadow.net ??
When I applied on line to Dalton Timmins.. I didn't give complete information.. not really on purpose,, I just didn't have my present insurance info on hand etc..

So.. being 45 ... driving since 1778,,, every year with a motorcycle .. no other vehicles in my name insured as I drive fleet vehicles in company names... no house insurance,,

strangely.. the online sheet said $1000 deductible...

Michelle promptly replied:
Hello James!
2002 Shadow. 750cc pleasure only

Thank you for submitting your information on-line. I have a quote for you which is based upon requirements of the insuring company. The annual premium is $863.00. The coverage being offered is 1 million liability with a $250 deductible for Allperils.

If you are at all interested if the above quotation please get back to me at your convenience.

Ride Carefully,

Michelle, ext 7445

·
Registered
336 Posts
Anyone who is with Kingsway can join the Canadian Motorcycle Association for $26 and get a 15% discount.

http://www.canmocycle.ca/

They're located on the corner of James and Burlington Streets in The Hamilton Harbour Commission building.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, here is what I have been quote so for
02' ACE 750, Licensed since 89'...1 ticket 2 years ago, no claims of any sort.

From Riders Plus
Premium for the 2002 Honda Shadow ACE is $1166.00. That includes $1million> Liability and $1000.00 deductibles for Fire, Theft and Collision.

Next year the rate would be $747.00.

Dropping Fire, Theft and Collision reduces the premium to $913.00.

From Dalton Timmins
Coverage consisting of:

$1 Million for Liability (PD & BI)
Direct Compensation Property Damage (no deductible)
Regular Accident Benefits
$500 Deductible on Collision Coverage
$500 Deducitble on Specified Perils Coverage (same as comprehensive with out falling objects or vandalism coverage)
Family Protection (up to $1 Million)

Total annually is $1095 or $282 monthly, (paid off in the first 4 months for the policy)
NOTE: This is with a discount for having a membership to a riding club. The membership cost $26 bucks and it intittles you to the 15% I've applied to this quote. with out it the rate annually is $1286 or $332 monthly.

I asked them the same question about dropping collision etc..., well see what they get down to...

Still looking
I hear State farm is one of the cheaper spots....

Peace
O

1 - 20 of 28 Posts