Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the Front Brake Master cyclinders are interchangeable for different Honda years and models.

The thing is I need a new master cycl. for my 1986 VT500C but of course they no longer make parts for my bike and i cannot find one used anywhere and Ive been looking for a long time...

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Yes, the master cylinder from another bike will fit your handlebars, however...
One difference is if yours are on 7/8" handlebars or 1" handlebars/
The next part of the exchange is to make sure the cylinder size inside the master cylinder is atleast the same size or a bit larger or you will have trouble stopping.
I've looked on Ebay for a 7/8" master cylinder for my Yamaha project and found alot for 1" also.
You should have no problem finding a used one or there are several sites that sell new ones for around ~$140~.
*Unless your is damaged to much, there is also the option of just installing a re-build kit inside also. >PD<

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got a master cylinder from a guy on ebay that he said was for my bike but which was obviously not, though it was a Honda part. I hooked it up and it worked just fine. I didn't notice a difference at all, except for a little bit of looks.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
As long as the bore is the same... you're good. i.e. if your stock master is 5/8... then you need another 5/8 master cylinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts