Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Eeric:

One of my close friends was a Captain for Air Can and flew mainly Asian routes with the 747-400's. He made a lot of landings at Kai Tak ( Hong Kong ) and has commented on the approach they had to fly. It was a very difficult airport to land at because of flight restrictions and local terrain. It required a great deal of " crabbing " on final by the pilot to get the jet down and lined up. That is what you see when the jet comes in crabbing sideways and then kicks in rudder at the last moment to straighten it out.

The problem with Kai Tek was that a " go around " was nearly as bad as landing so if they were close on touchdown they set it down so they didn't have to abort the landing and go around.

My buddy said it was a royal PITA to land there. Hong Kong later built a new airport which replaced this one.

I have talked to several of my buddies who are ATP pilots and that flew heavies
( large jets ) in there and they all said it took some finesse and was a challenge. :)

Chris

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree with Xrayr's smilies... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now you all know why I never ever wanted to be a pilot. I have no desire to even try. Heck, I can't even fly using Microsoft Flight Simulator!!

True story: I had a friend who was big into that flight simulator stuff. He had the USB joystick and even a set of rudder pedals at his computer desk - he had everything you could imagine!

He showed me how everything works and then launched a US Air 737 taking off from (of all places) Richmond, Virginia! He set it up to just do a "touch 'n go" so all I would do was a practice run of taking off, circling around, landing on the runway, and then take off again. Sounds easy, right? ....NOT! :p

I took off and flew no problem. I raised the flaps and landing gear and gained altitude as the game instructed me to. When I circled back around according to the compass directions, I didn't understand the ILS (Instrument Landing System) instructions, speed, angle of approach, etc... I came into Richmond Airport's runway at over 250 knots, way too fast, way too steep (like an angle in geometry), and the US Air 737 hit the runway with such force, that the landing gear collapsed up into the fuselage, destroying the plane, and it erupted into a burning fireball tumbling down the runway. Then the whole screen turned white and it was "game over".... :shock: :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
all i kept think about was waynes world. "WOOOOAAAAHHHH!"

and yeah i saw that beach in st maarten when iw as on my cruise this past august. i didnt go on the beach itself cause we were snorkeling but it was pretty crazy to see. seems like if the pilot sneezes he could just nose dive.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Sorry, but I call FAKE on this. The aircraft is already moving and the exhaust has already fanned out when the video starts.

Creative camera placement and selective footage is what I say.

So, how long do you think a runway needs to be for a 747 to comfortably get into the air? Fully loaded, to gross weight, and at sea level is around 10,000 feet, nearly two miles. Empty, the numbers ease very much, around 6,000 feet, just over 1 mile.

We don't know what the take off weight of the aircraft in the video was, but it probably was something less than gross weight. I'll tell you what, when you are in a jet, screaming toward the end of the runway at full power, you just pray that your weight and fuel calculations are correct. If not, it gets really messy very fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The new Hong Kong airport is pretty boring. The stewardess that I talked to all agree that the old airport was scary on most landings and terrifying in a storm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts