Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just joined today but have already posted a question in the technical forum. We (my wife really) have a 2002 Shadow ACE 750. We bought it second hand from local dealer in 2005 when I bought my new Goldwing. My wife fell in love with it and had to have it. I got to ride it home for her that day (wing had to be ordered). It turned out that my wife was very uncomfortable riding it (medical problems) and soon purchased a CanAm Spyder 3 wheeler. Anyway, she decided to sell the Shadow. It has been sitting in the driveway for over a year un-started. It cleaned up real nice, but will not run very well. We have a buyer for it as soon as I can get it running. I'm not a "wrench" type so it may take awhile.

I'm hoping to get the help I need on this forum, but sadly, I don't have much to offer in return. I have been a member of the GL1800riders forum for about 6 years now and have learned a great deal from it. I have been able to contribute occasionally but not as much as I get back.

Ride safe all and keep your wheels down.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hello all,

I just joined today but have already posted a question in the technical forum. We (my wife really) have a 2002 Shadow ACE 750. We bought it second hand from local dealer in 2005 when I bought my new Goldwing. My wife fell in love with it and had to have it. I got to ride it home for her that day (wing had to be ordered). It turned out that my wife was very uncomfortable riding it (medical problems) and soon purchased a CanAm Spyder 3 wheeler. Anyway, she decided to sell the Shadow. It has been sitting in the driveway for over a year un-started. It cleaned up real nice, but will not run very well. We have a buyer for it as soon as I can get it running. I'm not a "wrench" type so it may take awhile.

I'm hoping to get the help I need on this forum, but sadly, I don't have much to offer in return. I have been a member of the GL1800riders forum for about 6 years now and have learned a great deal from it. I have been able to contribute occasionally but not as much as I get back.

Ride safe all and keep your wheels down.

Joe in Modesto
Hi Joe, I had a situation similar to yours except mine sat in a garage over a couple of years.

Have you looked inside the gas tank? Is it rusty? I would drain the gas out into a bucket and see if the gas looks "rust colored". If so, you'll probably have to treat the tank and take the carbs off and clean them. If not, putting new gas and an additive of your choice may make it better. You may still have to take the carbs off anyway.

I'm sure others will chime in but that is where I would, and did, start with mine.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If it's been setting for a year with gas in it then completely drain tank, gas lines and carb bowls, check air filter for clean, put in new plugs. Put in fresh gas with 1/2 can of Seafoam and run it. After 2nd tank with other 1/2 can of Seafoam carb jets will be as clean as Seafoam will get them and if still having problems probably best to get into carb and go from there.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Download the service manual - it's located in the "sticky's" at the top of the General Discussion forum. This will help you if you have to pull the carbs for a tear-down and cleaning. Otherwise, I would attempt the "sea-foam" trick suggestion of nraluke.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome, Joe, from a fellow winger! I agree with the Seafoam idea. That stuff is as close to a "mechanic-in-a-can" as I have seen, and used. I would definitely replace the old gas first and try the half a can of Seafoam thru two tanks of gas. Checking the air filter and maybe a fresh set of plugs would be a good idea. Does this bike have a fuel filter? Probably would be a good idea to replace it as well, if it has one. Also, and this may sound silly, but check the tail pipes for obstructions. Something have have decided to build a nest in them. I had this happen with a Honda generator I used to leave out uncovered on the back porch. Danged dirt daubers plugged up the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As others have said, "Seafoam".
I too am a member on the gl1800 site. I just don't post much there.
Don't forget to check out our California section. Got a big BBQ coming up this summer.
OH, don't forget to check the petcock valve, make sure it is turned on ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the other suggestions. I need more sea foam now.
I'll check the California forum.

Joe in Modesto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts