Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the woman who sold my my phantom invited myself and my buddy to ride with her and her husband to sturgis while I'm interested in it my main issue is my ability to ride for long periods of time, As it sits now i am worn out after riding for 2 hours in the heat. I know i need a new seat and some peg extenders.

So for the moment i know i have no chance of making it that far, advice on getting myself/skill up to par for a long trip?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
For me, it's not so much as riding long periods of time, but slowly pacing yourself to do lots of small trips in a single day. I like to stop for water breaks, ciggy breaks, stretching and snacks. Sometimes those are all at once for a 30 minute break, sometimes just a quick sip of water and hit the road. Try taking off and riding 45 minutes, stop for 10-15 minutes and hit the road, repeat as necessary, adding time as needed.

I don't travel well with others because I like to roll at my pace, especially on long distance hauls. Some think it's race to make xxx miles per day or a bragging right to make xxx in a day. I take em as they come. Regardless, it takes some practice to find a comfort level for a full day in the saddle.

Creature comforts such as after markets seats and hiway pegs are nearly a must, that would be at the top of the list, then luggage for the necessities. Windshields help take fatique away from the upper body. Each of us have our own nuances, so it's hard to say what anyone may want or need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
also to add what tcb said, start practicing longer rides than you normally do. If you normally do 100 miles in a day, do a 150 miler (with breaks as tcb mentioned). Then the next week, try a 200 miler (with breaks). Work your way up to reaching some serious miles (again with breaks) in a days ride, then you will know what you are getting yourself into.

Also, make sure you stay very hydrated. Hydorthermia is bad, and can cause fatigue and fainting.

Good luck, I would love to take a really long ride some day and have the same worries as you.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I have ridden up to 8 hours on my Phantom very comfortably. I use an AirHawk cushion on long rides. My max distance on the multi-day trip was 260 miles, but that was governed by the roads and speed I could maintain. I would see no problem running 50-55 for 8 hours. I would stop about every two hours for a snack or lunch and stretch my legs. I have a Honda Boulevard screen so it keeps the wind load off the torso. I also use earplugs with a full face helmet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If 2 hours is exhausting, I think you may be biting off a bit much. There are lots of good roads in AR & you might be better off building up your endurance & maybe do Sturgis another year. I have been there before, but not during he show. Too **** many people. If you dig crowds you will probably like it. Lots more posing than riding for most who go there. Is that your bike on the right? If you decide to ride there, you should make sure you like your seat, get a rack & saddlebags. I always ride with a T bag on the passenger seat so I can use it for a backrest. It really helps. A throttle lock is nice as well. You will want a windshield for sure. If you go, Spearfish canyon is a great ride near by.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I agree with all the other comments, especially if you don't know how this couple rides, I like to leave on a trip with plenty of time to get where I'm going then get home, if I want to ride 300 miles or 200 miles a day and stop when I want to and not be governed by others, when I've done rides with a couple of other riders I tell them I stop for gas and rest every 100/125 miles, I like to get up sorta early, eat a good breakfast and usually a very light lunch/snack and then get off the road by 4pm, clean up and go eat dinner and have a ****tail then to bed........
You definetly need some info on who you are riding with, as mentioned some like to leave late, go like **** to make up time and the **** with all the beautiful scenery you ride through, me I like to look and cruise.............

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
One classic error is targeting miles instead of hours in the saddle. Our last trip to CA, we did Gold Beach OR to Ferndale CA, then down to Fort Bragg via 1. We stretched at 50 miles and fueled every 100. Thought we'd knock it out....right.

270 miles the map sez but at nine hours and in the dark, we finally limped into Bragg with seized shoulders and frozen, rigid necks. Google sez it is a 5 hour trip....what a crock! Google is pretty accurate on straight level roads but on up and down hairpins, ferget it.

Anyway, like the guys said, take lotsa breaks, drink lotsa water. At least you are a little closer to Sturgis and the scenery won't bore you to death like our route from the coast.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
On long trips I wear a "Camel Bak" full of water with the tube hanging over my shoulder with extra water for it in one of the saddle bags, if I need a drink I just slip it under my helmet and bite down on the mouth piece.

I agree with the windshield, I have ridden with and without it, above 60 mph on long sustained rides the wind pushing against you wears you out quicker.

And yes on the ear plugs, I have found that above 45 mph with the full face helmet that I wear the howling wind going around it makes my ears ring horribly, the ear plugs from the gun isle seem to fit better and last longer than the ear plugs from the pharmacy isle at the store.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wife and I always stop every 110 to 120 miles or so and stretch have a drink and resume the trip. It makes a big difference to get off and stretch.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Id say if your having troubles for 2hours, the gym or general exercise should be a goal over sturgis.
+1000^^^
If your helmet makes noise at highway speeds, throw it in the garbage and buy one that doesn't screetch!! I hate windshields so I won't have one on my bike, and I really don't see the need for one. If you want to get used to riding long distances, in my opinion, the best thing to do is.... RIDE!!! Put some miles on your bike. Just like training for a long run. You don't walk a couple of feet, take a smoke break, suck down a soda, then walk s few more feet... you get out and run, and run, and run. I like to do multi-state, coast to coast or the Alaskan highway runs and I seldom see the need to stop for stretch breaks, but I stop for fuel every 150 - 200 miles. That's a good time to relax. You might find you want some highway pegs and they do come in nice on long hauls, but you can add all the crap you want to your bike, but if you can't physically handle long hours in the saddle, all the aftermarket stuff in the world won't get you many more miles. Find a place on the map 150 miles away, hopefully that has gas, and go there. Get a bite to eat, and drive back. If you can't handle that, sign up at a fitness center... it might be the incentive you need. You'll find distance riding much more enjoyable! my .02 anyway!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with most all other replies..... but

First thing is describing the 2 hours you stated. Is it highway or city miles for the 2 hours? If you are going on the city start and stop for 2 hours and being exhausted then I would ssay you should target a overnight stay somewhere about 2 hours out and give it a try on the highway.

If its highway miles for 2 hours then you will need to build up your stamina at the gym and practice riding before you commit to the long haul.

Also note that the praries to strugis coming from east have high winds and if you are travelling through them you will get tired alot more than normal due to having to ride at a 45 degree angle to the road for 100+ miles. There are back roads that winds through the hills to avoid that though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts