Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ok, looks like a great deal and like the OP, I too would like to know how these stack up versus the NGK plugs. Do we need to gap them or they pre-gapped like the NGK. If they are a good substitute that others have used before then now would be the time to stock up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
768 Posts
I got mine (NGK DPR8EIX-9 Iridium IX) from Amazon, and they range from $6.60 to $8.50.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered the NGK from Amazon. Seems the manual calls for NGK or Denso. $30.50 and free shipping.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I'll be changing my plugs soon and will be using the NGK DPR7EA-9 that is indicated in the owners and service manuals.

less than $10 for 4.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have the NGK Iridium in mine and love them, Been going 3 years and haven't missed a beat yet, When it's time I'll probably just get the same, NGK have proven plugs to me so an extra $20 every couple of years doesn't bother me, If the cheaper ones fail out on the road I'd regret not spending $20 extra. They may be good but when something is REAL cheap there is usually a reason.

Dauntae

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Do we need to gap them or they pre-gapped like the NGK. Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Tad off topic but ....
JMHO , but not at least checking the gap on plugs before putting them in *anything* is a colossally bad idea , I say this after working for a major auto parts chain for more than 15 years of my life , you would be horrified at how parts get thrown around , bounced, tossed, and generally abused . ;)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Autolite people say their plugs are "iridium-enhanced". As soon as I put the NGK iridium in my Rebel the difference was quite noticeable and the old plugs were still in good shape. I already spent good money on good tires,battery,filters so why stop there? If your looking for me on the road,I'll be the broke guy with the great running bike.

·
Registered
503 Posts
irridium is just a mineral that conducts electricity with a very high melting point.
they basically dont foul as fast as conventional, or platinum plugs.
thats all i know.
that said, i have had the same iridium plugs in my mazda for 4 years now without issue.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,629 Posts
Whatever type of plug one uses, be sure to use NGK brand.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Whatever type of plug one uses, be sure to use NGK brand.

I am struggling a little on whether to get
DPR7EA-9 5129 NGK Copper Core - Spark Plug $2.49 Retail. Standard (Higher Heat Range)
*Or*
DPR8EA-9 4129 NGK Copper Core - Spark Plug $2.49 Retail. Extended High Speed (Lower heat range)

I a leaning towords the DPR8EA-9.

I got some occasional pinging on take-off when I used 86 octane with the plugs in now which I believe are the 5129's and have been running 87 Octane which took care of it.

Wondering if I used the 4129's I could go back to using 86 octane?

Owners/ Service Manual lists Both choices.

Same Price... I do mostly Hot weather riding, not cold so much.....

Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have the NGK Iridium in mine and love them, Been going 3 years and haven't missed a beat yet, When it's time I'll probably just get the same, NGK have proven plugs to me so an extra $20 every couple of years doesn't bother me, If the cheaper ones fail out on the road I'd regret not spending $20 extra. They may be good but when something is REAL cheap there is usually a reason.

Dauntae
"couple of years" I put my Iridium plugs in my bike back in '09 and my bike still runs great, I put them in when I had 65k miles on the bike and I'm up to 87k miles now. I think the plugs will out last my bike because I think I'll get 100k or more miles out of these NGK Iridium plugs. I still get 47 mpg out of my VT1100-T and it starts right up even if the temp's are down in the low 20's(F).

ROD

·
Registered
368 Posts
I haven't tried them in our 2009 Aero yet, but I have well over 35K miles on a set of Autolite Xstreme Sport Iridiums in my GL1500 Gold Wing. I am very pleased with their performance so far. I got mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts for just under $6 a plug and took advantage of a $2 a plug mail in rebate from Autolite. Four bucks a plug for iridiums is a pretty good deal. Note: when searching for these plugs on the O'Reilly web site, be sure to add "DP" to the plug number. This stands for "Display Packaging," which is how they are packaged and sold, often time hanging on the shelf next to the lawnmower and power equipment plugs.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My NGK iridium's were supposed to be here yesterday and still not here today. Looks like I'll be waiting till Monday to put them in if they come in tomorrow. Gotta work this weekend.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got back from a ride after putting the iridium plugs in today and no one can ever convince me they don't make a difference(put them in my last bike as well). The plugs I pulled out were fine with normal wear and tear. She idles better,runs smoother,better power, and the throttle response has improved greatly. For anyone contemplating iridium,you won't be disappointed. Now after replacing all fluids and filters(fork oil was done by PO)she runs like I want her with no leaks or hiccups. FYI,I did not attempt to check or gap the plugs on either bike. I trust NGK and would only attempt checking the plug gap after installing and running to feel them first. They can always be pulled and checked easily enough if your not running right. (P.S. I copied and pasted this from my other thread because it belongs here. Sorry for the double post).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts