Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been loking for another 750 and I've seen a couple for sale that have anywhere between 15000 and 17000 miles. They have all been 02's. Is that too many miles? And if no, would you pay less for one that had that many miles?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
NO and NO.... 2002 with 15000-17000 mile is ONLY 1500-1700 miles per year. I would call that low to average miles. I would expect to see a high asking price on anything less than 20K. IMO, Much fewer miles I would start worring about dry rot and storage induced issues. Example oil changes should be done every 3000 miles or 3 months. Most people change based on the miles ONLY, That means at 15000 the bike should have had 5 oil changes based on miles, or 25-36 changes based on time. Where do you think the bikes are falling? At less than 2000 miles per year I wonder how many of the last 9 years, saw 0 miles of useage and zero maintenance. On a used bike I want to see about 3000 miles per year usage, at least then it should have had at least 1 oil change per year.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
that's low miles. i'd almost rather buy one with a little more miles that has been taken care of than one that has been sittin' a lot.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
A relatively new bike, relatively low mileage. I'd say no reason to worry either way.

There is a maintenance checklist that I personally perform on every new to me bike that I get. Regardless of mileage or age.

Owners are idiots whether they put a lot of miles on or only a few.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
I wouldn`t be "Skeered of it"...
But then ~ I do my own maintenance ~ I wonder if the owner does/did that???

I`m interested,
Dennis
Sturgis 2011?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A relatively new bike, relatively low mileage. I'd say no reason to worry either way.

There is a maintenance checklist that I personally perform on every new to me bike that I get. Regardless of mileage or age.

Owners are idiots whether they put a lot of miles on or only a few.
What is your checklist if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
What is your checklist if you don't mind me asking?

All fluids. Most people forget or decide not to replace the brake fluids.

I disconnect every electrical connector, clean and apply ACF-50. Pull the battery and service or replace, check the date code on the tires if the tread is good. 5 years only.

Than I grab the shop manual and go through the service intervals. Any item that is due at or before the mileage indicated on the odometer (if I trust it) I perform. Valve adjustments, lube etc.

Its a lot of work, but saves me money in the long run. I dont trust previous owners...

·
Registered
748 Posts
By doing all the checks as suggested above you get to know your bike as well. Sometimes you can find little problems and solve them before they become BIG problems.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
By doing all the checks as suggested above you get to know your bike as well. Sometimes you can find little problems and solve them before they become BIG problems.

Now that's a big Amen. actually you should get down and dirty before you even buy it though, check for loose bolts, scrapes on the frame, misaligned tires, cracks in the frame.. wires that seem frayed or in poor condition, missing covers, holes that do not seem to have been factory drilled into the frame..**** check everything.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Hmmmm.... I have a 2007 VT1100C7 I bought new and it has only 51,780 miles on it now... I wonder, is that excessive? Hmmmm. Nah... I bought it because I love to ride it. I didn't buy it to ride three blocks to the local bar so I could park it on their lawn, smoke cigarettes, admire it and tell everyone how cool I am for owning it. LOL!

Oh, and it runs perfect! Just had to replace the tires, air cleaner, plugs, oil/filter, final drive lube... I did have a fuel pump go out on me at 30K. Modified the new one before I installed it... Added a diode across the points to see if that helps in keeping them from burning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts