Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides me!!!

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,791 Posts
Have you been? I usually avoid rallies. Went to onel and it was just a noisy mess, however it was just by accident and I had no plans for accommodation and that didn't help. So I am wondering how much of a nightmare it is?

G.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gdb069, If you don't like crowds stay away...far far away! Normal population is 20~30 K rally week is 600~900K1

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I go every year and my camping reservations have already been made.

As far as crowds go, it wouldn't be a rally if there weren't a lot of people there. Although I usually avoid crowds, I like the atmosphere and there's a lot to do, a lot of sites to see, and a lot of great riding all around that area.

But...My daughter and her husband are expecting their first child (I'm gonna be a Grandpa ) around early August. Family comes first, of course. So this year I may have to skip it depending on when the baby arrives. We'll see.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,791 Posts
gdb069, If you don't like crowds stay away...
Yikes. I checked the distance and that's just 2 days ride for me. I don't think I am into camping and sold my camp equipment a few years ago so perhaps you can describe motels etc although I have a feeling everywhere would just be partying (loud and drunk). Anyone stay in motels there?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Yikes. I checked the distance and that's just 2 days ride for me. I don't think I am into camping and sold my camp equipment a few years ago so perhaps you can describe motels etc although I have a feeling everywhere would just be partying (loud and drunk). Anyone stay in motels there?
There's a popular belief that all of the Sturgis Ralley is just one big party 'till you puke event.
It can be, if your the party 'till you puke type of person who wants to hang out with the party 'till you puke crowd. Otherwise... Let me elaborate for those who haven't been there before...

Yes, it tends to be crowded. It's Sturgis, after all. If someone tends to get irritable and all bitchy because the traffic in town is slow and there's other people there besides themselves and that just gives them a case of the vapors, they probable should stay away. Most people just take it in stride and enjoy the spectacle. Bear in mind that once out of town, it's nice open riding everywhere else.

The security is high and it's grey-shirted sunglass-wearing agents will do their job. They're cool, and they don't act like jerks. Don't be an ass and you won't be treated like an ass. Everyone has fun except the asses. Fine by me.

Like any town you visit, you can find places that are loud, drunk and noisy, or more moderate places to hang out. No one is forced to stay at either. Your choice. Security keeps the asses off the streets. No open containers are allowed on the streets, either.
The same goes for campgrounds. If you want a quiet night's sleep, don't stay at the Buffalo Chip. Call around to campgrounds in the area and ask the owners what their sites are like. If you're thinking about going, call as soon as you can so you can get a reservation.

There are a lot of things to do in the area. You're not stuck downtown. The Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Spearfish Canyon, etc.

Most important: Don't believe the stuff you see on TV. Reporters are mostly attracted to loud noisy shiny stuff. I've seen enough of the growley-voiced narrators saying If you go to Sturgis, you're not a real biker unless you do the burnout contest (or whatever) all while playing generic distorted guitar riffs for background music. Horse hocky.

And the best one: Yeah, ya gotta be riding a Harley or....
No one gives a wet slap what brand of bike you're riding. :LOL: Almost any type of bike imaginable is out on the streets.

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
? What he said!
We stay in Custer State Park, if you google it you can find lots of places out side of town.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
We rented a duplex when "3 D`s" went in 2011...
`Twas a 20 minutes ride to Sturgis which we did every day, BUT We put minimum of 200 miles on the Odometer each day for the 5 (?) days we were there...
MUCH Riding going on when we go...
Pick out a destination each evening at suppertime for the next day...
The AA clubhouse is Right There too...
We are members,
Dennis

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The COIVD has put a stop to my plan (hi risk) so going to New Mexico in September with my sons!
Y'all stay safe.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Have you been? I usually avoid rallies. Went to onel and it was just a noisy mess, however it was just by accident and I had no plans for accommodation and that didn't help. So I am wondering how much of a nightmare it is?

G.
I've gone a number of times and as I've evolved, so has the rally. I've been that drunk idiot walking down the street having a good time. Being too loud. Drinking too much. Annoying the greybeards. Gone to the bike burns, burn-outs, shows etc. etc. Had a great time.
I've also been the quiet guy out having fun with a group of friends seeing the sites, going on the rides.
Not a big fan of the "organized" bike rides as they attract too many riders for my taste and too many 1st. timers for my taste.

Sturgis has been an opportunity for me to re-connect with buds from my past and enjoy a week in each others company. It's about a 1200 mike trip for me and I always meet a number of folks along the way heading to the same destination. It's a nice excuse to take a ride.
When I go, we always stay out at the Air Force base outside of Rapid City. It's only about 40 miles away. Lot's of hotels to stay at in Rapid City. Gives you a chance to get away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts