Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I pay less than $300 annually for my '01 VT750DC (full coverage, roadside/towing, the works)
Progressive
Is motorcycle insurance generally more expensive in Canada? I'm in the US...
Generally, very much so, especially when you factor in which province in Canada you are insured in.
"full coverage" in Canada vs the USA, can vary drastically though too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I pay less than $300 annually for my '01 VT750DC (full coverage, roadside/towing, the works)
Progressive
Is motorcycle insurance generally more expensive in Canada? I'm in the US...
Well, I pay less than you for full coverage. 180$ per year for insurance. (Your age , driving record and how long you've had your driver's license will have an effect on how much you pay.) My friendly government screws me over for registration and drivers license. I pay 560$ a year for registration and and an extra 40$ a year for the motorcycle driver's license. A grand total of 780$ per year, well, per season (from late April to early November)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm paying 98 a month, that's almost 1200 a year for just PLPD. What a rip off!

Dingo.
2010 Honda Shadow Phantom-Custom

Sent from my 'droid device

·
Registered
454 Posts
I buy only what I need to get the bike on the road. For me liability is only $74.00 a year from Progressive. If I am going to wreck it bad enough to be really expensive I will most likely be close to being a vegetable and will not fix it anyways. As long as everyone else is covered around me if I hit them I'm good to go.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Wow I think after reading these I better get some quotes. I pay just over 86/mo in Toronto for my phantom with state farm. I assumed it was because I'm in the city. Anyone else getting lower cruiser rates than that in the city?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Ironically enough I found a cheaper rate with Intact. I was with Riders Plus and my rates kept going up every year for no reason. The best quote I got was from Intact, about $70/mo. I'm in south Mississauga and ride downtown every day for work.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm now with Desjardin , best price i've seen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just got my renewal, dropped $20 from last year.. Yeah not a huge drop, but seeing sub $300 after paying $800+ for over a decade always puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
30 Posts
GEEZ!

Just got my insurance bill from Intact as I'm sure a few others did and lo and behold up it went another 125 bucks from last year!............when Intact took over two years ago the increase was an automatic 200 bucks!
My total now for a VT500C 1987, is now over 721 $$$.

Never had an accident, took safety course before getting licensed and have almost 10 years in without even dropping the damn thing!

Has anyone found an Insurance Company that isn't corrupt?

I am with wawanesa (I think that's the spelling) I did it through RH Insurance. Got full coverage for my 06 shadow, and pay about 100 give or take per month.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I am with wawanesa (I think that's the spelling) I did it through RH Insurance. Got full coverage for my 06 shadow, and pay about 100 give or take per month.
[/QUOTE
You might check and see if it reduces the insurance if you raise the deductibles. I own my house, so I don't have to carry hurricane insurance. but in the last 8 years i have had two hurricanes get close, one eye was eighteen miles from me, and the only damage was 2 gates blown off the hinges. But I chose to carry hurricane insurance. All my neighbors are carrying $1,000 deductibles and gripping about the rates. Me I carry a $5,000 deductible. If I get hit by a hurricane that does a lot of damage. $5,000 will not wipe me out. Now here is my reasoning for the high deductible. It takes me 7 years and I save $4,000 in premiums. Right now, I am 1 year ahead. You just have to compare the cost of the higher deductible with a lower premium to see if it will work for you. Also, if you have the bike financed you might want to check with whomever finances it to see what they require for a deductible.
It might not save much to increase. Motorcycle insurance is cheaper than a car of the same value. Good luck and if it saves you money on premiums post, it so others can learn how to live with the high premiums. We are fixing to relive the mid 1970's Inflation was 8%, home loans were 16%, and if you had $10,000 to put in a cd you could draw 16% interest. I feel sorry for the old folks living on a fixed retirement. Time to find another Ronald Ragen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GEEZ!

Just got my insurance bill from Intact as I'm sure a few others did and lo and behold up it went another 125 bucks from last year!............when Intact took over two years ago the increase was an automatic 200 bucks!
My total now for a VT500C 1987, is now over 721 $$$.

Never had an accident, took safety course before getting licensed and have almost 10 years in without even dropping the damn thing!

Has anyone found an Insurance Company that isn't corrupt?
I know it's an older post. Just got my new insurance in Alberta went up to 318$ and was told by my present insurer that it takes three years to drop and does not matter if you took a "Defensive Drivers Course" only if you are a new driver. So for a 2001 car, 2021 car, and my 98 Shadow ....drum roll.....$1,858.00 Now keep in mind, that I've been driving for 50-plus years, have no tickets, have no-fault accidents, and have even had a Class 1 with air and drove LRT, MCI, Semi, etc. But I have Intact too? A friend of mine in Toronto once told me "Alberta Drivers are high-risk drivers and they get the high rates". If anyone outthere does find a company strickly for motorcycles, love to know because 318 seems high to me, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ironically enough I found a cheaper rate with Intact. I was with Riders Plus and my rates kept going up every year for no reason. The best quote I got was from Intact, about $70/mo. I'm in south Mississauga and ride downtown every day for work.
Damn, is that with full coverage? I'm not far at all from you I wonder if I could get something similar

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750
143 Posts
I buy only what I need to get the bike on the road. For me liability is only $74.00 a year from Progressive. If I am going to wreck it bad enough to be really expensive I will most likely be close to being a vegetable and will not fix it anyways. As long as everyone else is covered around me if I hit them I'm good to go.
I jist swit hed to progressive. For my 2 bikes I am paying 230 a year and thays with max medical and max coverage on everything else. Plus towing of I am broke down and coverage on any accessories or gear on the bike

21 - 40 of 40 Posts