Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF has a 2002 Ace 750. When I had my Spirit 750, 85mph felt like the bike was giving it all it had. We are contemplating riding the bikes out to California for a coastal trip this summer, but I'm concerned about riding 80-85mph for 4-6 hours straight (West Texas has 85mph speed limits).

Am I just over thinking this, or is this a bad idea on her bike?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
My GF has a 2002 Ace 750. When I had my Spirit 750, 85mph felt like the bike was giving it all it had. We are contemplating riding the bikes out to California for a coastal trip this summer, but I'm concerned about riding 80-85mph for 4-6 hours straight (West Texas has 85mph speed limits).

I don't think the Honda 750 was intended or designed to be doing 85mph for hours on end. Yes it can do it and may not harm the bike but i think the Bikes were designed to do 65-70 as the highway speed. Don't think you'd be doing your 750 any favors holding it open at 85mph for 4-6 hours.
Just my opinion as someone who happens to own one.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

You don't have to ride to the speed limit. I'd suggest 65-70mph giving her room to downshift to accelerate for passing, keeping engine and tire heat down, fuel mileage and enjoying the scenery and ride.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The bike can do 85 mph for hours without any problems. However you have to consider a few things - How long can your g/f take the engine buzz? The 750's can get quite noisy at that speeds. West TX is windy, if she rides at those speeds against the wind, she is going to have a real fun time.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
just bad for the fuel mileage.

The bike will be pretty buzzy feeling at those speeds though. I wouldnt want to do 85 on a shadow 750 for hours at a time just because my arse would go numb in 5mi, but 80 I think would be fine. liquid cooled bike, heat shouldnt be a problem. and at 85 the bike will be pretty rung out, so a strong head winds and hills wont be fun, especially with a large windshield. Probably wont be able to keep a solid 85 on the speedo if the bike is loaded and you get into hills. But at those speeds you'll pretty much need one.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You don't have to ride to the speed limit. I'd suggest 65-70mph giving her room to downshift to accelerate for passing, keeping engine and tire heat down, fuel mileage and enjoying the scenery and ride.
tire temps should be fine if the tires are at proper pressures.

But I'd also suggest doing 75-80, lots of big trucks and a few cars will still be doing sub 70mph speeds.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You'll be riding a Softtail slim with the 103 HD engine and she'll be riding a 750cc Honda. Doesn't sound like a match made in heaven. Get her a long distance cruiser. Frankly I wouldn't choose your bike for that ride either. It's not a long distance cruiser.
the 103 engine coupled with the 6spd is fine to cruise at those speeds. 80mph on mine is only 2800RPM. And just this weekend I held mine at 90mph for a few miles and it did just fine.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You have no list of mods, so any answer will be false.

If its stock, the VERY least you want to do is put a 38T sprocket on it and then 85 will be no problem. Jetting to Stage 1, opening up the exhaust will make it all the easier.

But yes, on my Spirit i could do those speeds easily, but would get around 40 mpg or less.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
the 103 engine coupled with the 6spd is fine to cruise at those speeds. 80mph on mine is only 2800RPM. And just this weekend I held mine at 90mph for a few miles and it did just fine.
It's not the engine, it's the bike. If the OP had a Street Glide, Road Glide, or Ultra with a 103 I'd say ... let's go. LD cruising needs a full windshield and/or fairing and some means of storage, e.g luggage or hard bags/saddlebags. You also need a comfortable seat. That softtail seat looks like a local rider to me. To each his own, but I would not head to Cali from Texas on that bike as stock. Maybe the OP has done upgrades...just say'in what I would do. Maybe I'm not hard core or maybe I am not a true cyclist, but screw being uncomfortable on a long ride.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It's not the engine, it's the bike. If the OP had a Street Glide, Road Glide, or Ultra with a 103 I'd say ... let's go. LD cruising needs a full windshield and/or fairing and some means of storage, e.g luggage or hard bags/saddlebags. You also need a comfortable seat. That softtail seat looks like a local rider to me. To each his own, but I would not head to Cali from Texas on that bike as stock. Maybe the OP has done upgrades...just say'in what I would do. Maybe I'm not hard core or maybe I am not a true cyclist, but screw being uncomfortable on a long ride.
Mine is a dyna, its no problem. Given I've got a windshield so wind isnt an issue and I can ride a few hundred miles in a day with the factory solo seat, mid controls and then some highway pegs mounted where the forward controls do. I often ride with a few of the touring bikes and can do everything they can do as far as distance and rider comfort go. stash all my goodies in a backpack because saddle bags are lame and I'm just too lazy to put my luggage rack on. Haul my lunch box and a 1/2gallon of water to work everyday. I hear you on comfort, everybody is different. I think as long as the wind isnt beating you, you have a decent seat, and you have comfortable foot positions you're golden. I've ridden my uncle's '14 street glide and yes the full faring offers more wind protection and some fancy creature comforts like a radio without head phones and cruise control but as far as the seat and foot positioning goes its no better than my street bob, and I've got the same engine and tranny.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Sounds like fun. Why not take 2 lane back roads and enjoy the scenery. Remember it is not about the destination.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
06' 1100 Spirit running 70 mph. as indicated, 42 mpg. 80 mph., 38 mpg. 80 mph. felt good but the Spirit has the tallest gearbox of all Shadows.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Check the bike in my signature and you`ll see I speak from experience...
Totally stock running gear, in 2010 I rode from Hollywood, to Jacksonville, FL on I-95...
Rarely getting under 80 MPH, keeping up with the "Big Dogs" running whatever speed they were running, one straight shot, stopping only for fuel...
At that time I had 60,000 miles on her odometer...
My Baby done great!!
Then in 2011 we rode to 71st Sturgis Rally...
We put 5,400 miles on doing that trip...
The Bike turned 80,000 during this trip...
There again, running whatever speed the "Big Dogs" were running, rarely under 80 MPH...
Coming back across Kansas, we were riding into a "headwind", that is the only time my fuel mileage suffered...
That headwind took away from my mileage...
As where I normally get 150 miles to the tank, it only got 110!!
As averages work out, I get 50 mpg with non-ethanol and 45 with ethanol...
However, sometimes you ain`t got a choice!
I keep my Bike maintained well, and check the chain each fill up, when traveling, I suggest the same for your trip...
Running to the capitol with ABATE of GA, we generally run with the "Big Dogs" too, and we do this annually at minimum...

I refer to the "Big Dogs" as those who run interstate on a regular basis and know the road and hazards of running faster than the posted speed limit...

I`m sure most any 750 will not be harmed running with the "Big Dogs"...

Enjoy the trip and pray upon departure for God to show you His wonderful works...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

EDIT ==>
85 MPH is only 85% of top speed on my Baby...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You'll be riding a Softtail slim with the 103 HD engine and she'll be riding a 750cc Honda. Doesn't sound like a match made in heaven. Get her a long distance cruiser. Frankly I wouldn't choose your bike for that ride either.
Actually, I traded my Slim in for a 2015 Road King. I also wasn't sure about a 2-5k mile ride on 3.5" of suspension travel. And her upgrading just isn't in the budget at this time (her bike is paid for, and she loves to remind me that my payment isn't her payment, lol).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have no list of mods, so any answer will be false.

If its stock, the VERY least you want to do is put a 38T sprocket on it and then 85 will be no problem. Jetting to Stage 1, opening up the exhaust will make it all the easier.

But yes, on my Spirit i could do those speeds easily, but would get around 40 mpg or less.
I actually have a 38T sprocket I could toss on her bike (I bought it for my Spirit 750, but never got around to putting it on). Otherwise, her bike is stock. She does have a windshield and soft saddlebags though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like fun. Why not take 2 lane back roads and enjoy the scenery. Remember it is not about the destination.
In our case, it sorta is the destination. We are going to start in San Luis Obispo and then head North up to Reedsport, OR, then East to Klamath Falls, South down to Lake Tahoe and through Yosemite before heading back. We are meeting some family along the way so we have a loose schedule to stick to.

The original thought was to trailer out to Visalia, CA (I have a friend out there so I could leave the truck and trailer) then do that loop and drive back. But as others have pointed out, riding isn't a ton slower than driving. In my case, it might be cheaper as the bikes get much better mileage then the truck, I don't have the trailer yet, and the truck at a minimum would need 4 new tires for this trip.

Hence my question about this trip and her running higher speed. We would have to cover DFW to Visalia in two days, max. It's doable, but it's 650+ miles a day.

I'm just trying to look at all the options ahead of time.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Yeah, and at 60 years of age, 650 miles per day is not something I would look forward to, but it won`t hurt the Bikes...
Holiday Inn Express has hot tub & breakfast ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts