Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, stupid question maybe, but: is there a way to tell without tearing the carbs apart if I have a jet kit installed?

The bike came with V&H Straight Shots and a K&N filter, but I can't remember if the PO mentioned a jet kit or not...no contact with him now, so can't ask him.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I though but wanted to be sure. Onward!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Take a good flashlight and check in detail all the little bolt heads and clamps on things like the carb boots, air intake hoses, etc. If the most inner bolt heads and clamps are scratched up you can bet someone was in there. If everything just looks dusty and clean then it's likely never been torn open.

I could easily tell someone tinkered with my bike as the aribox screws and all the intake hose clamps and such were loose and/or scratched up and had obviously been tweaked with before. But once I got past the easy to remove stuff, all the bolt heads on the carbs and everything looked brand new and unmoved since the factory.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So is number 5 in the first picture the A/F screw? If yes, then it looks like the cap is still in place on both my carbs. (Yeah...I see that my throttle cable nut is loose...now fixed!) I suppose that means that either nobody's been in the carbs, or they could have been but just didn't finish the job by adjusting the a/f screw.

Hard to tell about the screw-heads and such, but they sure look mostly un-molested to my untrained eye.

So, still no real clues without tearing the carbs open, I guess. Ugh...I really don't want to remove those things...don't really have the patience for it, especially since it's mostly just curiosity! :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,027 Posts
The big question in my mind is how does the bike run, are you having some kind of problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is by now means a definitive test but might lead you in the right direction and or know if you need to open up the carbs to check out or change the jetting. I would pull a plug in each cylinder and look at them. If the bike has not been re-jetted and you're running straight pipes and a high flow air filter odds are the plugs are going to tell you the bike is running quite lean(whitish appearance).

Again this will NOT tell you for sure but may give you some indication as to what is happening. Is there a specific issue you're trying to solve? engine bogging, running hot, lack of power somewhere in the power band, etc...?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all. Main reason I'm asking is that I'm just curious. :)

Secondary reason is because of decel popping; there are a thousand threads about that and they all revolve around either jets or the "air bypass" thingamajig. I popped those out and cleaned them (they were pristine) and that didn't help, so now I'm curious about the jets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.