Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been annoyed lately by only getting about 130 miles before hitting reserve that I started doing some research. I always thought I was getting bad gas millage because I was pushing 70-80 mph. But lately I have been sitting in traffic more often (going into work earlier) and gas millage hasn't really improved much. I decided to check my air filter and this is what I found.

and what looks to be oil

Weird thing is I did my first oil change several weeks ago and put in royal purple and since that has a purple tint to it so this looks like it's been sitting there for awhile. Is it possible the dealer I bought the bike from put too much oil in? I haven't had any performance issues other than every now and then if I open the throttle the right way (example downshifting and matching the revs) the bike dies out and comes right back.

Now for sure I am guessing I need a new air filter? I am going to check my oil levels to see where they are at.

The bike also only has 8000 miles on it. Here is my fuelly for the mpg http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/shadow_750/2009/Sandwich/286092. I also do remember getting 37MPG while doing 80mph for a straight 200 miles but I think that's just the limits of my 750.

· Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Your milage isn't to far off what I have seen for other Aeros. Your filter does need to be replaced or cleaned if it can. The oil you see in from normal operation however it should go into a bladder of some sort off the air cleaner and is supposed to be emptied before it gets full. You may see a difference once your replace your filter and clean up the mess.

· Registered
10,265 Posts
My 750 Aero averaged well above 55mpg. BUT, I didn't ride a lot of 70mph+ rides, it was not a pleasant ride, still aint, but normal riding speeds around town and hwy rides up to 65 or so I easily averaged 55mpg. And did reach up to 60 at times.
Acceleration and the bike not breathing may be very simple solutions. As in, new air filter and relax take offs for a tank and see where your mileage is.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
612 Posts
Your bike seems to be right on track with mine.
I get about the same gas mileage and I also have the small amount of oil showing up in my breather.

I have not concerned myself with it as it hasn't seemed to be an issue with how the bike runs.

My father has been riding for years. He wasn't concerned either.

Ride the thing!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I read that the oil was normal but it just seemed like a lot of oil because I did wipe it down a little before I took the picture trying to figure out what it was. The air filter just looked a little off to me for some reason.

Just wanted to make sure, because if this bike has a major problem at only 8,000 miles I would be very concerned.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.