Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was perusing the ads on FB and came across this listing. The bike has been dropped. The damage looks serious to me and that one should not ride the bike. Do you agree?

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
374 Posts
I can hardly believe that all that damage was done by dropping the bike.
Unless was from a 2nd storey flat.
The aluminium part isn't structural but the bike have lost the side stand and the foot peg.
Without replacing it you won't be able to ride it safely.
Same goes with the weight for the handlebar.
Looking at the pics you have to ask how was the frame affected.

I would be interested in learning what really happened to that poor thing.

Reactions: D's Spirit

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I might ask for more images. The plate that looks to support the chain guard, guide, and kickstand could be easily replaced but don’t know what damage there is behind it. The transmission? linkage seems to be missing its rod, ..damage to the transmission? Foot pegs? Controls? ..it has slid a ways, and there‘s money and work to be done repairing the damage associated with it. ..would need to see more pictures. Wouldn’t buy it based on what I see, because I would like to see more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..it has slid a ways, and there‘s money and work to be done repairing the damage associated with it. ..would need to see more pictures. W
The ad has a lot of pictures. Here's the Facebook MP link for a bunch of pictures. It's a 2019 with ~500 miles on it.

He does say that it's a "project bike" so it sounds like it needs a bit of work. I think I rather pay more money and get something that does not need work.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Ridden for 550 miles having slid another six? :0) ..hope the guy’s okay.

From outward appearance, it‘s not in horrible shape considering. Saying that, that plate supporting all the good stuff is cracked which means it came down hard. Not much grinding so probably wasn’t going too fast when it “fell” though.. with anything like this, you would really have to check it out and be confident in your assessment and cost to repair. Can’t really do that via the interwebs as there are nooks and crannies and basic mechanisms that need to be inspected.

Doesn’t appear safe to ride it as-is though.

Reactions: GrowVeg

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,905 Posts
That would be a no dice from me at that price.
Just add up the costs to repair and it quits making sense and that's assuming the frame is not bent.
You have to ask why the current owner didn't not fix it. (see above)
Looks like something you'd buy at Copart.
Does it have a clear title?

Edit: looking at it further isn't it a CB300, what do they cost new?

·
Registered
46 Posts
While perusing ads, it seems like people don't know the difference anymore between "dropped" and "laid down". This bike was laid down. The shifter is missing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking at the pics here are the things I see
Bike was NOT Dropped it was laid down at speed probably not high speed but is slid a fair distance to eat the paint on the tank and the bar end the way it did. Its forward slide got interrupted i suspect by a side walk or something similar and that's what did the damage to the foot peg and chain guard area.
This bike sells for 5000 new.
If i was going to go look at this bike first i would look it over and make sure the frame and engine are not damaged. You should be able to start it and walk it through the gears. A shift lever is not hard to pick up and they are not expensive for the testing. If the frame is damaged or it wont start WALK AWAY
Bike sells new for 5k but its not new so -$
take 1k off right from the start for it being laid down period. this is in addition to the damage you know about because there are likely other issues you will find that need to be fixed
-$300 for a new tank and paint even if you keep the tank it needs filler and paint
-$500 for the chain guard , foot peg, and shift lever repair
-$200 for the grip and signal damage

that comes up to $2000 in damages to that bike. $1000 that you know about and $1000 that you don't
He wants $4800 I would not offer him ANYTHING over $2800 and my initial offer would start around $2000

The reality is that this bike has damage from being wrecked it doesn't look serious but it will take time and money to fix. the seller is pricing it like it is in perfect condition when it clearly is not.
I would very quickly take them down several pegs. the last bike i bought was priced at KBB $2900 by the time i looked it over and priced the stuff i would have to fix i walked away with the bike for $2200. The seller was initially insulted and angry when i offered 2K flat but i went though and told him exactly what led me to that number.

If the guy selling the bike isn't willing to come down significantly on the price then walk away.
He knows what its going to cost to fix he knows the time it will take to get it fixed. What he is hoping for is someone who doesn't know enough to come along and think that the bike can be fixed fast and cheap. Don't be afraid to call them out on it. If they get angry SO WHAT they want to sell you the bike there are plenty of bikes for sale and you can find another one. Why should you pay twice what the bike is now worth since he wrecked it. If you pass on it he will eventually come down on the price until some young kid comes along that thinks its a great deal and pays way more for it than its worth and learns a lesson.

Those of us the have bought multiple bikes learned the same lesson in the beginning but we learned from it and now use that knowledge to keep us from being that young kid that didn't know better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've fixed 100 times worse. I'd make a big deal about the damage to dicker the price down and then ride it away grinning
It depends on your mechanical abilities and motivation to fix it. If you want a fixer upper go for it but at a much lower price. Bikes needing work are easy to find. If he wants near new price the the bike should be in showroom condition. And make sure about the papers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It depends on your mechanical abilities and motivation to fix it. If you want a fixer upper go for it but at a much lower price. Bikes needing work are easy to find. If he wants near new price the the bike should be in showroom condition. And make sure about the papers.
Good points. I would like to be able to wrench my own bike but I have to be realistic that I won't other than basic stuff like changing oil and lubing cables. I just don't have the time due to work and my other hobbies. I currently have two like new lawnmowers that I picked up off FB/CL for free that are still sitting around unfixed. Plus my two Weber Genesis 1xxx grills that I plan to rehab.

·
Registered
859 Posts
He wants $4,500 for a crashed bike that lists for $5,000? Is he nuts? It's worth maybe $4,500 if there was no damage at all. It's a used bike, 500 miles or whatever.

Crashed bike, $2,500 is what I would offer. It doesn't look in bad shape to me. Doesn't look like a high speed crash or stop. A hard stop is usually what screws the whole bike. As in, a hit a guard rail with this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts