Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that the rubber down in the valley between the tread on my front tire is all cracked. The rubber on the tread itself is not cracked.... just down between the tread. I took the bike to the dealer (since it is only 6 months old) and the guy said that dry rot was only a concern when it was on the sidewall area of the tire. The bike has about 4700 miles on it, and the tires have plenty of tread. Has anyone ever seen this problem before, and if so, is it a concern?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a tube tire... but I agree. I'm gonna be paying close attention either way. I really don't trust the opinion of the guy at the dealer. I was thinking of contacting Bridgestone.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Re: Is this tire OK?

jaydrake said:
Yesterday I noticed that the rubber down in the valley between the tread on my front tire is all cracked. The rubber on the tread itself is not cracked.... just down between the tread. I took the bike to the dealer (since it is only 6 months old) and the guy said that dry rot was only a concern when it was on the sidewall area of the tire. The bike has about 4700 miles on it, and the tires have plenty of tread. Has anyone ever seen this problem before, and if so, is it a concern?
thats BS! dry rot (cracking) anywhere on a tire is reason for concern!

that tire should be in the trash not on your bike! :wink:

·
Registered
190 Posts
"Dry rot" on a 6 month old tire?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kermitdafrog said:
"Dry rot" on a 6 month old tire?
He may have owned that bike for 6 months .And what exactly is the build
date. Not the inservice date.
But how old is that tire ?

Another thing that can lead to this prematurly is . Underinflated tires .
Tires that sit in extreme condition too .

Jack

·
Registered
190 Posts
He indicates a 2006 model bike in his sig, so I'm guessing unless the previous owner or dealer pulled a switcheroo and put older tires on it, they are no more than 18 months old, which to me still seems premature for dry rot :) He can look at the DOT date code embossed on the sidewall and know for sure how old they are.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
jaydrake said:
Replace it. Asap. Not one more mile. At this point, who cares how old it is or when it was bought. It's showing a wear situation and needs to go. Argue or fight about it *after* it's replaced. But do get it replaced. It's easier for the dealer to refund your money with the bad tire in hand, than if it blew out (which will likely cause you to crash!).

Just replace it.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Kermitdafrog said:
He indicates a 2006 model bike in his sig, so I'm guessing unless the previous owner or dealer pulled a switcheroo and put older tires on it, they are no more than 18 months old, which to me still seems premature for dry rot :) He can look at the DOT date code embossed on the sidewall and know for sure how old they are.
That is way to premature for dry rot on an 18 month old tire. I wouldn't be surprised if the date code shows this tire to be much older then 2006.

I would contact the tire manufacturer about the cracking. Also if the date stamp shows these tires to be much older then the build date of the bike I would ask the dealer to replace it and send Honda the bill.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.