Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been looking at getting some iso grips for my 93 vt1100.

I don't like the flame ones.... I'm unsure about the ebay ones. The only ones I'm finding have the throttle tube (where the cables connect) included...

Now, if I look at a newer spirit, they have the ones I want.
Kuryakyn ISO Grips - DennisKirk.com

Is my 93 and the newer spirits that different that the grip won't fit?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
OK, stock, all years VT1100C, use the same Factory grips and throttle sleeves. I think ALL 1" bar Shadows use the same grip and sleeve. So based on that I would say those grips should work. There are also Universal fit available. There was a thread recently about the Ebay Kuri copies, GOOD reveiw. I don't remember the bike though.

I have never bought grips for a Shadow though. My grips stockers from the same Harley Wide Glide the bars came from.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
If you have a 1" bar, get the universal 6240's. Then you don't have to fool w/ then the throttle sleeve. Install will be simple. Search youtube for an install video. You'll see how easy it is to do.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw those threads. I was thinking the custom fit ones would be nice, but I still have to do the removal on the left grip anyway...

Was considering the ebay ones, but the title says it fits the shadows, but then on the actual auction it doesn't mention it. So our bars are 1"? (I have stock bars).

93gc-when you say all years VT1100C, are you including Aero, ACE and Spirits or just the ol' VT's like we have?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I saw those threads. I was thinking the custom fit ones would be nice, but I still have to do the removal on the left grip anyway...

Was considering the ebay ones, but the title says it fits the shadows, but then on the actual auction it doesn't mention it. So our bars are 1"? (I have stock bars).

93gc-when you say all years VT1100C, are you including Aero, ACE and Spirits or just the ol' VT's like we have?
Our bars are 1". All the VT1100's have a 1" bar (C, C2, C3 included).

I bought the Kury Copies on ebay for my 1994 VT1100C. I was very happy with them and will be buying another set for the Magna. Quality is on par with the actual Kuryakyns I had on the VLX, but I saved $40+. The ones I bought on ebay were actually listed for Harley models, but these are universal grips and they will fit anything with a 1" bar. They will also accept Kuryakyn accessories, like the Throttle Boss or different end caps, etc.

Harley Davidson Sportster Dyna Softail CHROME SPK GRIPS - eBay (item 330571980693 end time Jun-03-11 03:04:56 PDT)

The link will take you to an auction that's ended, but those are the actual ones that I bought. You should be able to search the seller's items and find more.

Edit: When I bought the Kuryakyn ISOs for the VLX, I bought model specific ones (it came with the throttle sleeve). The Kury Copies were universal and did not come with a throttle sleeve. I found it easier to install the universal type grips than the model-specific ones. You don't have to deal with cracking open the hand controls on the right side to uninstall the old grip.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Our bars are 1". All the VT1100's have a 1" bar (C, C2, C3 included).

I bought the Kury Copies on ebay for my 1994 VT1100C. I was very happy with them and will be buying another set for the Magna. Quality is on par with the actual Kuryakyns I had on the VLX, but I saved $40+. The ones I bought on ebay were actually listed for Harley models, but these are universal grips and they will fit anything with a 1" bar. They will also accept Kuryakyn accessories, like the Throttle Boss or different end caps, etc.

Harley Davidson Sportster Dyna Softail CHROME SPK GRIPS - eBay (item 330571980693 end time Jun-03-11 03:04:56 PDT)

The link will take you to an auction that's ended, but those are the actual ones that I bought. You should be able to search the seller's items and find more.

Edit: When I bought the Kuryakyn ISOs for the VLX, I bought model specific ones (it came with the throttle sleeve). The Kury Copies were universal and did not come with a throttle sleeve. I found it easier to install the universal type grips than the model-specific ones. You don't have to deal with cracking open the hand controls on the right side to uninstall the old grip.
So, how does that work? Does the sleeve just stay on the bar then? I've had that grip off a few times and frankly, never have figured a way to separate the grip from the throttle sleeve and thought best to not try and force anything.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
1993 is a VT1100C, Spirit was added to the name in 1997. So what we have is a VT1100C Spirit, from before they were called Spirits. There are some styling changes between the 1988-1996 and the 1997-2007 versions of the VT1100C, thus the addition of the Spirit name. OL' Shadows VT1100 are pre 1988. Grips seem to be universal in the Shadow line, if the bar sizes are the same. Some of the 80's era Shadows had 7/8" bars and shared controls with the VF and CB bikes.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
So, how does that work? Does the sleeve just stay on the bar then? I've had that grip off a few times and frankly, never have figured a way to separate the grip from the throttle sleeve and thought best to not try and force anything.
Yes, the sleeve will stay on the bar. What you do is remove the end cap and slide a flat head screwdriver in between the grip and the sleeve (or the grip and the handlebar for the left side) pry it up and spray some WD 40 (I used PB Blaster because I didn't have WD 40 at the time) inside, working your way around with the screw driver. Pull screwdriver out, twist on the grip a couple of times and it comes right off. Then you just clean off the glue to prep for new glue and grips to go on. :wink:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I never had any luck with new grips and glue. End up getting glue everywhere and the **** things end up getting stuck halfway on .... haha.

I contacted that ebay seller to see if he had the same ones. All the other ones I've seen in a quick search had the tube already installed, and it wasn't for my bike.

update- actually just found the indentical auction and bought them. Sure hope they go on nice and look good :)

I'm concerned with length of the grips...does that differ at all, or is that a pretty universal length?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Yes, the sleeve will stay on the bar. What you do is remove the end cap and slide a flat head screwdriver in between the grip and the sleeve (or the grip and the handlebar for the left side) pry it up and spray some WD 40 (I used PB Blaster because I didn't have WD 40 at the time) inside, working your way around with the screw driver. Pull screwdriver out, twist on the grip a couple of times and it comes right off. Then you just clean off the glue to prep for new glue and grips to go on. :wink:
Awesome, thanks!!! :-D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I never had any luck with new grips and glue. End up getting glue everywhere and the **** things end up getting stuck halfway on .... haha.

I contacted that ebay seller to see if he had the same ones. All the other ones I've seen in a quick search had the tube already installed, and it wasn't for my bike.

update- actually just found the indentical auction and bought them. Sure hope they go on nice and look good :)

I'm concerned with length of the grips...does that differ at all, or is that a pretty universal length?
I had issues with installing the new set of grips because I didn't give the glue enough time to dry and I was impatient to go riding. I wasn't going to go back and get more glue so I searched for alternatives on grip glue and I found a lot of people use hair spray, go figure. So I got out my hair spray and used it. It took a little longer to set up but it worked! Not sure about long term results since I ended up selling my bike soon after, but I occasionally still talk to the guy who bought it and he hasn't said anything about it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe, yeah, I could see it working.

BTW, do they make a knock off throttle rocker like Kurykun or however you spell it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got some pics of my installed Iso ebay knockoffs. I did buy the throttle boss too. Harley guy at work swears up and down by it. Went on like a charm. Haven't used them yet (glue is still drying) but seem very nice!

Not sure about the spike yet... maybe if I can find some matching pegs with spikes...otherwise I might be in the market for some caps.

Also, do you guys think my switches look funny just being aluminum and my grips being chrome???

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Universal ones from ebay! I'd like to find some matching knock off pegs now too!

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
knockoffs look great and so much cheaper! so for an 86 vt500c i want grips for 7/8" bar? does anything else matter in terms of buying grips besides the bar diameter?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
slight setback last night. Bike sat outside in the 90 deg sun yesterday. On my way home, my throttle grip glue gave way... nothing bad, but it kept working itself off. Now, I was using the Threebond Griplock glue (although it's about 3 years old). Is this decent stuff, or would you recommend something different?

One of my issues may be that the throttle grip fits a little more loosely than the left hand side grip... not sure what I can do about that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts