Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I signed myself up to help a friend get his old bike running and ended up with nothing but problems.

So what I did first was:

- New spark plugs
- Emptied out the old fuel by pulling the fuel line off the petcock and draining it all out. The fuel was almost a RED color.
- I took off the carbs and cleaned them. The notorious air box boots were all dried out and needed replacing. As most probably know, you can't find them anywhere.

So my issues are, the bike will not start. I am getting fuel to the carbs but it does not want to start. When I shot some starting fluid into one of the spark plug holes, I would get a sputter but nothing after that. Ive determine I'm not getting fuel somewhere.

I drained the carb bowls and I had fuel in them but again, no start????

Any ideas?? Im going nuts here. I wish I could bring myself to walk away from it but Ive never been a quitter.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys,

I signed myself up to help a friend get his old bike running and ended up with nothing but problems.

So what I did first was:

- New spark plugs
- Emptied out the old fuel by pulling the fuel line off the petcock and draining it all out. The fuel was almost a RED color.
- I took off the carbs and cleaned them. The notorious air box boots were all dried out and needed replacing. As most probably know, you can't find them anywhere.

So my issues are, the bike will not start. I am getting fuel to the carbs but it does not want to start. When I shot some starting fluid into one of the spark plug holes, I would get a sputter but nothing after that. Ive determine I'm not getting fuel somewhere.

I drained the carb bowls and I had fuel in them but again, no start????

Any ideas?? Im going nuts here. I wish I could bring myself to walk away from it but Ive never been a quitter.

Any help is appreciated
Hi,

I have the same bike and I went through a lot of stuff before I got it to run. Mine was sitting for 5-6 years so I had to do the following:

1. New air, fuel, and oil filters.
2. Flushed Radiator, gas tank, and the reserve gas tank
3. Replaced spark plugs
4. Removed the carb and cleaned it completely
5. Replaced float valves in the carb
6. Replaced slow and main jets in the carb
7. Replaced Choke valves

If you tell a little about the history of the bike I can tell you more details.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. I don't know much about the bike at all. I am sort of doing a favor for my mom. Its her bosses bike and she offered me to help get his bike running. SO basically its a long story haha.

I am assuming it hasn't run in about 2-3 years possibly (minimum).

I replaced the battery, spark plugs, cleaned the carbs out. I cleaned the main jets and slow jets entirely. Made sure all the holes were free etc.

The fuel in the bike was terrible. It was a reddish color. I have since emptied it out as best as I could. The gas flowing out of the petcock is now fresh and clear.

I did not take the lower second tank out to thoroughly empty it. I just simply emptied it from the petcock.

The fuel pump seems to be working fine. It pumps fuel up to the carbs as I un hooked the lines at the "3 way adapter". As mentioned, i emptied the float bowls while the carbs were back on and they have fuel in them.

It will fire with starting fluid but only for a slit second. It will not stay running.

I took the carbs off again and I will be taking them apart again to clean them again. I am afraid some of the old fuel may have gotten in from not thoroughly emptying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. New air, fuel, and oil filters.
I have just ordered a new air filter and I have an oil filter. I want to start the engine first to warm the oil up before i change it. I would like to order a fuel filter. DO you have a suggestion?
2. Flushed Radiator, gas tank, and the reserve gas tank
I have no flushed the radiator yet. I believe I flushed both fuel tanks appropriately
3. Replaced spark plugs
DONE
4. Removed the carb and cleaned it completely
DONE
5. Replaced float valves in the carb
I believe the float valves are fine. The carbs were not that bad at all. The floras seem to be working fine. (Disclaimer: I am used to cleaning carb racks of 4 off of early 70's SOHC 4's
6. Replaced slow and main jets in the carb
I did not replace these jets. the ones I had seemed to be fine, they just needed slight unclogging
7. Replaced Choke valves
Where would i find these?

See above in RED

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
You & I joined for the same purpose, to get information on a friends Shadow carbs...
I had installed a set of pipes for Roland, and was going to address the jets but decided NOT to from the problems I read about folks having...
That was back in 2007, the addiction grows daily :D

You might need to "bottle feed it" until the carbs pick up fuel enough to keep it running...
Bottle feed = spray gasoline into the throats of the carbs...
Only tip I got is > I know that Mine does NOT like any throttle when starting...
Good luck on this project...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
36 Posts
See above in RED
Make sure there is no electric issue. For example, do you actually get sparks on the plugs? That would mean bad coils. There is a way to check the coils if you have the Honda manual, using a voltmeter.

On my bike, the choke valves were totally gummed up in the carb. They are attached to cables that goes to the choke and attach to the side of each carb. There is no reason to change them if you could easily remove them (by unscrewing the rubber cover around them) when you removed the carb. So no worries there. By the way there are extremely difficult to find, even on ebay. I got lucky.

The jets on my bike looked clean and un clogged but I found out that is not the case until I used a thin wire and pushed it through the jets. That opened them up completely and only then the bike would run nicely. I decided to replaced the jets anyway as they are not that expensive and BikeBandit or Partzilla do carry the OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts