I signed myself up to help a friend get his old bike running and ended up with nothing but problems.
So what I did first was:
- New spark plugs
- Emptied out the old fuel by pulling the fuel line off the petcock and draining it all out. The fuel was almost a RED color.
- I took off the carbs and cleaned them. The notorious air box boots were all dried out and needed replacing. As most probably know, you can't find them anywhere.
So my issues are, the bike will not start. I am getting fuel to the carbs but it does not want to start. When I shot some starting fluid into one of the spark plug holes, I would get a sputter but nothing after that. Ive determine I'm not getting fuel somewhere.
I drained the carb bowls and I had fuel in them but again, no start????
Any ideas?? Im going nuts here. I wish I could bring myself to walk away from it but Ive never been a quitter.
Any help is appreciated
I have the same bike and I went through a lot of stuff before I got it to run. Mine was sitting for 5-6 years so I had to do the following:
1. New air, fuel, and oil filters.
2. Flushed Radiator, gas tank, and the reserve gas tank
3. Replaced spark plugs
4. Removed the carb and cleaned it completely
5. Replaced float valves in the carb
6. Replaced slow and main jets in the carb
7. Replaced Choke valves
If you tell a little about the history of the bike I can tell you more details.