Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't consider myself in the market to trade up from my VLX for at least a couple of years. For a small person like me, I can handle it well, and I paid cash for it. BUT - yesterday I went to the local motorcycle superstore to look at some women's gear, and I sat on this:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/62/0/specs.aspx

It fits me like a glove (apparently the bike manufacturers are realizing that "smaller people" are beginning to buy motorcycles) and it seemed much less cumbersome than the Aero that was my previous favorite. Plus, it's got the fifth gear and shaft drive! It would be great on the open road.

Anybody have experience with this bike?
Of course, this is still the best MC forum around, and I haven't won the lottery yet, so I'll be here awhile, at least until I can find one of these used...

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Just more nails in Honda's customer-service coffin. More and more I hear people talking more positively about other manufacturer's bikes, while Honda keeps refreshing paint schemes on the same models. Sad... I'm a long, long time Honda devotee, yet Yamaha lured me away with just one sexy smile from the FJR.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I say go for it. I've moved up to a VTX1300 and never looked back. Best thing I've ever done.

Beck

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went from a VLX to a 1700 Roadstar Midnight and I love mine.. I was looking at the 1100 Vstar before the Roadstar, but I felt more comfortable on the Roadstar.. The 1100's are great bikes.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My husband has the '06 V-Star 1100 Silverado-- he says, yes, it's well balanced, however if you're planning on doing a lot of highway driving--look on to something else. It's not geared high enough and makes a lot of whining racket on the highway. He HATES it when I want to go somewhere and have to get on the highway.

I really expect him to trade it in on the 1300 any given moment. It was his first bike though, and I think he thought something bigger than an 1100 might be too much. My 750 Shadow can outrun his 1100 any day of the week..... (and it doesn't make any more noise on the highway than it does on the backroads-- not good when you realize you're cruising 80 in a 65 mph zone though)

·
Registered
327 Posts
chornbe said:
Just more nails in Honda's customer-service coffin. More and more I hear people talking more positively about other manufacturer's bikes, while Honda keeps refreshing paint schemes on the same models. Sad... I'm a long, long time Honda devotee, yet Yamaha lured me away with just one sexy smile from the FJR.
Actually, I think it's the marketing folks, not customer service but, point taken. Yamaha is making some beautiful rides. I lust after your FJR, but the star line are probably some of the best looking v-twin cruisers on the market. You're dead on regarding the only changes Honda wants to make is new colors, and not all that impressive of colors at that. There's what one or 2 color options on each bike. Even HD, who is generally not regarded as an inovator has redesigned everything over the last few years, and you can get any of thier bikes in a half dozen or more colors and paint schemes.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
beowulf said:
You're dead on regarding the only changes Honda wants to make is new colors.
Have you forgotten the all new shaft drive 750 spirit? It has a bigger front wheel and cheesy looking pegs and a cheap looking cast metal black kickstand and the engine has less chrome and the bars are different and it looks cheaper than the previous version and it's supposed to look more like a Harley and........Gee, I guess Honda is starting to get behind. :wink:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think the harleys are in for a lot of changes soon, they just been getting ready for it.

if emissions standards keep going the way they have, HD will have to water cool all their engines

plus the noise reduction stuff for pipes.

I sat on a Yamaha...I think it was called a venture, and I started drooling like crazy, still had some cruiser looks, but not all the new wave plasticy look of a goldwing...and it was very comfortable

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would agree with you guys...

I have a few Hondas, but I mostly ride my VT1100 ACE. Fit and finish is always the best...however, I did just purchase Yamaha's Midnight Warrior. I am also a pretty die hard Honda guy, but they really do need to start thinking about a few redesigns.

Just my .02,
TimK

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes, I looked at that one too. If money were no object, and IF my arms and legs were longer, I would be tempted!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My wife has the 650 V-Star and loves it. When she get's ready to go bigger she'll definately get the 1100 V-Star. Not much difference in size or weight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been jonesin' for bigger as well. I actually tried on the 1100 for size. I thought it was a bit of a jump for me personally. But it is a beautiful machine. Kawasaki has expanded their Vulcan line to include a 900 with 3 model variations. I was hoping Honda would catch on and expand the VTX line down a bit to include something smaller and more manageable for us little people (under 5'5) than the 1300. It doesn't look as though that's going to happen. So by summer I fully intend to jump ship and become the proud owner of new Kawasaki.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
movin up

What Honda should do is make a bike that looks like the VLX600, but with 1100 / 1300cc displacement. I think that softail look would really sell in a bigger bike.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree. I love the look of my VLX, nothing else Honda offers can quite match it, IMO. A little more horsepower wouldn't be a bad thing at all though!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
StradBiker:
One of our riding buddies owns a 2002 V-Star 1100 (65 c.i.) custom and we have ridden it often.

Like you, we are somewhat small of stature and "virtically challenged" (small people WILL eventually rule the world. It is inevitable.) In our opinion, the V-Star is particularly well suited to smaller riders. It is low and the bars sweep back so shorter arms can comfortably reach them.

The bike has excellent power and has been bulletproof so far (although admittedly our friend has only 8K miles on the bike). We like to ride it.

We also think the Star bikes are quite nicely turned out, with nice paint, nice chrome, and nice fit and finish. We think for the $$$ you would be hard pressed to do better.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree stradbiker with vito. I have a vlx and it gets mistaken for a HD SOFTTAIL. I put vance and hines pipes on my bike and it sounds great. I have been thinking about trading up myself. I have talked with dealers about
the difference between my 600 and the 750 shadow. There hasn't been anyone who can give me first hand experince info. Being a newbie and not
enough info has kept me from moving up yet. Before I read your post I was about to ask for info about the differences between the 600 and 750. When I get on my bike I feel that my bikes becomes a part of me and thats what I'm looking for and not found yet in another bike. I also hope honda will change their color selections. I don't care for flames. I like the solid colors, but to each their own. bc1 :) OOPS I DIDN'T LOG IN. THIS IS BIKERCHIX1

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice looking bike, but for me I noticed it weighs 640lbs dry and it's air cooled, Can you live with that? I looked at several other bikes but chose the Spirit 1100 cause it's only 50 lbs heaver than my SS750 and it's water cooled and shaft drive. I really need water cooled out here in this Hot dry desert in the summer. A lot of the Harley riders here can't ride alot here in the summer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, just today I went back and looked at the Yamaha again, and this time I liked the Kawasaki 900 LT better. It seemed to be balanced a bit better and it wasnt' quite as big. Advantages - water cooled, price, cool color! Disadvantages - windshield way too big, but that's minor. I"m just going to have to keep looking. I've also looked at the Boulevard C50T, but I'm not as sold on that bike, and I don't like that it only comes in black.

What I really wish is that Honda made a beefier VLX with at least 5 speeds, belt or shaft drive, and fitted for touring. I like my bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts