Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my bike out of storage and fired her up. She warmed up well and idiles fine. The problem is when I have her on the road to excellerate she jerks and wants to stall, when I roll back the throddle. This will do it in any gear and it is hard to get up the speed to get into 3rd. Is this a throddle problem or a carb problem? I just put new plugs in, I took off the air filter(little dirty but shouldnt clog flow), there seems to be a film of oil on the filter cover which concerns me. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Might be stale fuel or slightly gummed up carbs - drain the tank put in new fuel with some seafoam addititve or techron carb cleaner (according to the manufacturers recommendations) this should clean up the jets after a tank or two, and perhaps be an easy fix.

If your air cleaner has oil on it (not just in the bottom of the airbox) then replace it as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still have problems

I have drained the tanks, cleaned the carb and needle, replaced the plugs, and added seafoam to the new gas. The problem that is acurring now is the it runs great but when you give it gas it spits and sputters and tries to stall. The same when I get it on the road it will roll on idle but give it gas it tries to stall. Anybody have anymore help please

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you have two carbs then you need to synchronize them. A forum search will bring up more posts on that subject than you may think possible. A real quick way of adjusting them is to take the tank (and maybe airbox) off so that you can get to the synch screw, then run the engine and adjust the screw until you can crack it without any problems and the idle drops fast when you let off. Make a note of the screw position before you start so that if things only get worse you can put it back to where it was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Synching the carbs

I have a 2000 shadow Spirit 1100 and has that jerky acceleration as well but no stalling. As far as the carbs, does my bike have that synch screw on top as well? I thought that they had to be synched with gauges? What are your thoughts?

Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
If a bike has more than one carburetor, it will have a synch screw too. Synching the carbs might get rid of jerky performance, a carb clean or rejet may help too. Between the two you should be able to get rid of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you say you have an oil film on cover?is engine oil to full?if so it will flood your air filtre causing to run crappy.check that..if that not problem then you need to get into your carbs and clean them but i would try seafoam first that stuff is amazing..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.