Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search of help once again. I have an 86 Shadow VT700, I have straight pipes running on it, I have a Hyper-charger air box that I would like to add, but of course, I need to rejet my carbs for it to work properly. So has anyone had to rejet for straight pipes and a hypercharger air box, if so, what did you use???? HELP!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What kind of straight pipes did you put on your bike? I too have an 86 VT700 and an thinking about straight pipes. What side do the pipes exit on? Can you post a pic? How loud are they?

·
Registered
23 Posts
What kind of straight pipes did you put on your bike? I too have an 86 VT700 and an thinking about straight pipes. What side do the pipes exit on? Can you post a pic? How loud are they?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a friend with an '86 vt700 who debaffled his jardine pipes and modded his stock airbox into a hypercharger. This set up would be fairly identical to your straight pipes and hypercharger. He used 135 & 138 main jets from honda and didn't touch the slow jets or needles. He's had no problems with that set up as far as I know.

What are you using for a hypercharger. I'd really like to hear about what you're planning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lang, you have been my hero!!! You have come through with info for me on this bike for the past year, thanks!!! I'm using a kuryakyn hypercharger. I have made some small Mods to it to e able to ride it, but, I really wanted to get the right jetting so it will not run so hot. Thanks again, I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Medic, sorry for the late response, I've been under the weather, just now playing catch up. It has single pipes on each side, I removed the factory shot guns as I like to call them, then went to a local muffler shop and had about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of exhaust pipe welded on right where the factory exhaust came off (had to cut the upward angle of the pipe off first). From there, I purchased some hot rod exhaust wrap and wrapped the pipes. I also purchased some chrome exhaust pipe tips from the local auto parts store and put those on at the end of the pipes to add to my chrome and accent the black exhaust wrap. The sound was awesome. I did all of that with out any modification to the carb, it ran fine, I only lost about 5 miles per tank of gas, but after long distances at high speed (75+), it began to run hot, so a friend and I took the baffles out of some old drag pipes he had and modified them to fit the exhaust pipe. we bolted them in to the very end of the pipes to add some back pressure, and that worked great. Then I was given the hyper charger and the rest you know. Between that, the drag bars and hyper charger, every one thinks it's a custom Harley, but I'm quick to tell them it's an 86 Shadow. Thanks to the info from Lang, I will probably take the baffles out (I truly love the rumble, it give the bike balls!!) and see how it runs. Just as a side note to let you know how well all this works, I ride it everyday as my main transportation religiously, and I haven't had any problems. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
86shadowrider - Sounds like a project. Did you put the new jets in? If so, how did it turn out? Do you have pics of the build. It sounds like something I am interested in. How loud is it? Which hypercharger did you use?

I think if I did it, I'd turn the pipes and have them come out the right side. I currently have Cobra Slip-on's on my bike. They aren't much louder but exit on the right side. I like the dual right side exit.

What does the exhaust wrap do? Do you kow if the pipes can be chromed?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
86shadowrider said:
Lang, you have been my hero!!! You have come through with info for me on this bike for the past year, thanks!!! I'm using a kuryakyn hypercharger. I have made some small Mods to it to e able to ride it, but, I really wanted to get the right jetting so it will not run so hot. Thanks again, I'll keep you informed.
I'm happy to help with what meager knowledge I can scrape together. I can't wait to see how you hooked up the hypercharger. When you get some time and get it all working, I'd love to see pics and hear detail. If you get the hypercharger working and the carbs jetted right, you'll be my hero - what a great mod!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You'll be my hero too. I'd like to get a hypercharger for my bike but have no clue what to get and where to start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts